Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

25 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

You obviously don’t know how fitness works, especially at this level of sport

So how does it work?

Apart from individual physiological weakness' like Michael Owen's hamstring, there is a general rule of thumb: Young heal quicker than old.

Old has an advantage (in some cases) like knowing how to avoid injury, but that means pulling out of risky situations. So you have one or two old heads and a lot of youngsters.

Dave MacKay always said he knew where to stand and let the youngsters put the yards in!

56 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

We need a proper goal scorer  Collins isnt a prolific goal scorer all collins is is muscle up front that will weigh in with the odd goal .

McGoldrick will make a big difference but again he is injury prone as soon as he comes into the side he will go out again .

Signing promising young lads up front from the prem who are starting out isnt the way in the old 3rd div . We need a seasoned pro that stays usually fit and that has a bit of quality and physicality about them . If we DONT we wont go up.

All this its early days and team needs to gel and get fitness is biggest loads of im trying to kid myself going . 

These are Pros its not like their going to down 60 burgers in there few weeks off and lie in bed all day they are already quite fit .Yep there will be a slight improvement as they play together but after just 2 games you can tell what we need and we NEED TO GO UP a seasoned striker .................failure to get one will cost us promotion . 

You say sign a seasoned pro, that usually stays fit & has abit of quality & physicality about him....you have described Collins. He missed a chance or 2 but he has shown he can be prolific at this level & Champ. If you watch his overall game you will see & appreciate how good he is, if you just want to focus on the chances he missed thats upto uou, but he will come good and score 10+ goals at this level easily.

I watched the game & had to watch it with Charlton comms due to RamsTV playing up, they complimented us all first half but 2nd half they could see and were saying how tired our players were, we werent pressing nowhere near as much. They even mentioned that Rosenior was trying to get us to press & close down but the players legs had gone. Hourihane looked out on his feet at 60mins. Clubs have a preseason for a reason, we are weeks behind others so yes we will get fitter and it isnt just fans trying to kids themselves. Rosenior himself has said for a while we are behind on fitness but I guess you know better.

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

We need a proper goal scorer  Collins isnt a prolific goal scorer all collins is is muscle up front that will weigh in with the odd goal .

McGoldrick will make a big difference but again he is injury prone as soon as he comes into the side he will go out again .

Prey tell us, Where are these prolific goal scorers going to come from, We can't spend owt, No one is going to gift us their "prolific goal scorer", Maybe ask Santa for an early Xmas present, Collins/McGoldrick were the best available according to our coach/manager who might I add knows more managers and coaches in the game than you and I, All this resulting from a 2 year EFL agreement.

18 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

It's not that deep. We've missed a few sitters and then conceded. That's football!

This sums up the whole game, any other day we’d have won. Knighty will be replaying that miss a few times; there was your nailed on point saver.

All we needed was better finishing, without any over analysis of the game.

On 06/08/2022 at 17:10, dcfcreece1601 said:

Have any of our players ever practised finishing in training? It's really not hard to get a shot on target wether its a good shot or not , we were  the 4th worst for scoring goals last year and I can't see where the the goals will come from this year, haven't enjoyed watching us for years other than for atmosphere live but I still keep going , I thought I'd be grateful to watch us this year after all that has happened but I can't stand watching them still , no passion in the team they walk off laughing and joking after that 90 mins , sad times for me

Is this genuine? I watched with a mate who is a Liverpool supporter and he couldn't believe how good we were first half.

We absolutely dominated the game and should have been streets ahead. 

Second half they took their chance We missed our's.

Loads to be positive about. If that performance makes you feel that way you are in for a long old season as we will play worse than that (and win).

12 hours ago, FindernRam said:

So how does it work?

Apart from individual physiological weakness' like Michael Owen's hamstring, there is a general rule of thumb: Young heal quicker than old.

Old has an advantage (in some cases) like knowing how to avoid injury, but that means pulling out of risky situations. So you have one or two old heads and a lot of youngsters.

Dave MacKay always said he knew where to stand and let the youngsters put the yards in!

Collins knows where to stand but the way we are setting up means that he has a limited supply line. I confidently suggest that as the team works more together and with the appearance of McG there will be goals from our number 9. He isn’t Mr Lightning but he’s ok. Got the right attitude, Needs time that’s all. 

We have had two tough” ish “ games, he’s been a post, a goal line clearance and a good save away from being a new hero. 

A weekend of mayhem, starting with meeting @i-Ramin the pub before the game! Such a dominant start to the match, but always aware you have to score when you're on top, especially when you're that on top, yet despite it all we still didn't carve out many clearcut chances. After half an hour, Charlton started to touch the ball and keep it for more than a couple of passes, and had some chances, probably better than ours. Our defence seemed nervous. But then we took charge again. Our best opportunity came not from pretty passing possession football but rather from a long punt over the top. Collins was stronger than the defender and through clear on goal, only to blast the ball against the post. Ten seconds later the ref blew for half-time and it felt a huge turning point/what might have been, moment. 

In the second half we'd suddenly hit the wall, exhausted. The game went scrappy and we stopped winning second balls when we constantly mopped them up in the opening period. We continued to have corner after corner but did nothing with them and throughout the second half looked vulnerable on their breakouts, without the energy to track back. Which proved our undoing.

Mendez-Laing showed for and got a lot of the ball but never played the key pass. It's possible he will be amazing in a few weeks and we need to persevere to find out, but he seems a head down and run player and then play a hopeful pass. Sibley transforms the team when he comes on. Much more guile and creativity around the opponent's box than anyone else. Fast running, carrying the ball through midfield. Always available. Strong in chasing opponents down. Rosenior will be mad not to start him. This was a great first half in terms of dominating possession but we needed to create more chances. Bird can play quarterback on his own with an extra attacking midfielder that we so desperately need.

But on the whole the performance showed a lot of promise if we can raise our fitness and tweak the team selection the right way.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

A weekend of mayhem, starting with meeting @i-Ramin the pub before the game! Such a dominant start to the match, but always aware you have to score when you're on top, especially when you're that on top, yet despite it all we still didn't carve out many clearcut chances. After half an hour, Charlton started to touch the ball and keep it for more than a couple of passes, and had some chances, probably better than ours. Our defence seemed nervous. But then we took charge again. Our best opportunity came not from pretty passing possession football but rather from a long punt over the top. Collins was stronger than the defender and through clear on goal, only to blast the ball against the post. Ten seconds later the ref blew for half-time and it felt a huge turning point/what might have been, moment. 

In the second half we'd suddenly hit the wall, exhausted. The game went scrappy and we stopped winning second balls when we constantly mopped them up in the opening period. We continued to have corner after corner but did nothing with them and throughout the second half looked vulnerable on their breakouts, without the energy to track back. Which proved our undoing.

Mendez-Laing showed for and got a lot of the ball but never played the key pass. It's possible he will be amazing in a few weeks and we need to persevere to find out, but he seems a head down and run player and then play a hopeful pass. Sibley transforms the team when he comes on. Much more guile and creativity around the opponent's box than anyone else. Fast running, carrying the ball through midfield. Always available. Strong in chasing opponents down. Rosenior will be mad not to start him. This was a great first half in terms of dominating possession but we needed to create more chances. Bird can play quarterback on his own with an extra attacking midfielder that we so desperately need.

But on the whole the performance showed a lot of promise if we can raise our fitness and tweak the team selection the right way.

@i-Ram now gets up and goes to the pub to watch the mighty Rams instead of sitting in his arm chair? We must be good!

39 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

What was the reaction from rams fans when the loon grabbed the corner flag during the tribute?

Majority of the away end chanted 'banker' at him.

Strangest pitch invasion Ive ever seen, just grabbed the flag & stood there like he was stoned. Pretty dire reason to get a stadium ban.

6 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Majority of the away end chanted 'banker' at him.

Strangest pitch invasion Ive ever seen, just grabbed the flag & stood there like he was stoned. Pretty dire reason to get a stadium ban.

Probably was stoned.

Seems to be on the increase. People (can’t call them fans) travelling to games with little interest in the game or the sensitivities of others.

Hope he is taught a valuable lesson.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Maybe part of the issue about tiring in the second half ( which I do find worrying) is that we only used three subs whilst Charlton used 6. Sibley and Dobbin are obviously fresh legs but who else do we have?