Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

19 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Maybe part of the issue about tiring in the second half ( which I do find worrying) is that we only used three subs whilst Charlton used 6. Sibley and Dobbin are obviously fresh legs but who else do we have? 

Why were Charlton allowed to use 6? 

4 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Maybe part of the issue about tiring in the second half ( which I do find worrying) is that we only used three subs whilst Charlton used 6. Sibley and Dobbin are obviously fresh legs but who else do we have? 

In reality, only 3 of the Charlton subs were to "freshen up" the side : the last two were made in added time to break up the game/waste time etc and the first one, enforced due to a concussion, was actually the most effective because the player they brought on, Dobson, helped them disrupt our dominance in midfield. 

The substitution we could have made, but didn't, which might have given us greater impetus towards the end of the game, was to bring Odurah on, possibly for Hourihane who was certainly tiring, to allow Knight to push further forward and start playing some one-twos around the box, which we didn't do enough of perhaps.

41 minutes ago, Crewton said:

In reality, only 3 of the Charlton subs were to "freshen up" the side : the last two were made in added time to break up the game/waste time etc and the first one, enforced due to a concussion, was actually the most effective because the player they brought on, Dobson, helped them disrupt our dominance in midfield. 

The substitution we could have made, but didn't, which might have given us greater impetus towards the end of the game, was to bring Odurah on, possibly for Hourihane who was certainly tiring, to allow Knight to push further forward and start playing some one-twos around the box, which we didn't do enough of perhaps.

Could also have brought Fozzy on earlier … if only for his extra height at corners. Maybe clutching at straws , we should have won the game but didn’t. 

I think i agree that the one thing worth trying was bringing on Odurah and pushing knight forward into midfield - probably at the expense of Hourihane who seemed to get more stuck out on the left towards the end.

Small things really - obviously we brought Dobbin on hoping he could be a game changer which was a big ask for the kid. And we did push Curtis forward to CF late on, so we cant criticise Rosie for not trying anything.

5 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

If McGoldrick's fit it gives us another option but I think I'd set up differently with Smith at RB, Knight in midfield and only one of Barkhuizen and NML with the other to come on as fresh legs later. So, given the same personnel as this game, something like:

Wildsmith

Smith     Davies     Cashin     Roberts

Bird

Mendez-Liang     Knight    Sibley     Hourihane

Collins

Subs: Loach Oduroh Forsyth  Stearman  Thompson  Barkhizen  Dobbin

Having the young legs of Bird, Knight and Sibley as the heart of midfield would mean we wouldn't run out of steam at half-time as we did, so the need for energy wouldn't be as great but we could still have freshened it up with Barkhuizen and Dobbin. Plus in our system the fullbacks should need switching like the wingers so Oduroh and Fozzy coming on too. And then one more as necessary. If we need more and McGoldrick isn't fit then Aghatise instead of Stearman offers another forward-thinking option from midfield.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If McGoldrick's fit it gives us another option but I think I'd set up differently with Smith at RB, Knight in midfield and only one of Barkhuizen and NML with the other to come on as fresh legs later. So, given the same personnel as this game, something like:

Wildsmith

Smith     Davies     Cashin     Roberts

Bird

Mendez-Liang     Knight    Sibley     Hourihane

Collins

Subs: Loach Oduroh Forsyth  Stearman  Thompson  Barkhizen  Dobbin

Having the young legs of Bird, Knight and Sibley as the heart of midfield would mean we wouldn't run out of steam at half-time as we did, so the need for energy wouldn't be as great but we could still have freshened it up with Barkhuizen and Dobbin. Plus in our system the fullbacks should need switching like the wingers so Oduroh and Fozzy coming on too. And then one more as necessary. If we need more and McGoldrick isn't fit then Aghatise instead of Stearman offers another forward-thinking option from midfield.

I can see your logic, but the fact is we have been outmuscled in midfield so far and having the three youngsters isn’t going to solve that. We need an enforcer in midfield and we don’t have that in the current squad.

I think that’s why we were interested in McDonald and Stephens. 

31 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I can see your logic, but the fact is we have been outmuscled in midfield so far and having the three youngsters isn’t going to solve that. We need an enforcer in midfield and we don’t have that in the current squad.

I think that’s why we were interested in McDonald and Stephens. 

I don't think that's a "fact" at all. And our physically strongest midfielders are Knight, Sibley and Bird. Hourihane, Smith and Thompson are all much more lightweight.

51 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Impression I got was that our midfield excelled, it was putting chances away that cost us

Yes and it seems we don't have a clinical finisher in the squad. Obviously, not the sort of players that clubs let go on a free or loan deal. 

I didn't feel we were outmuscled on Saturday. We will be in some games, in just the same way that we'll out-football some teams ourselves. We do however need to get up to speed with what the officials will tolerate (grappling at set pieces seems to be positively encouraged, for example) but I believe that is happening. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Sibley couldn’t tackle a large meal, Bird is too nice. Knight is at least competitive but he’s no enforcer. Unless the team learns how to use their physicality, we will struggle in midfield and that’s where you decide the momentum of the game.

Only Dobbin has made more tackles per 90 than Sibley this season.