Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

Frustrated by the result as it was undeserved but encouraged by the performance.

First half we battered them & don't think being 2 or 3 up would have flattered us. We were at them down both flanks, unlike last week the left side saw plenty of action with Roberts, Hourihane & Barkhuizen linking up very well. My only criticism was a lack of bodies in the box at times, which was the reason Mendez-Laing couldn't convert from Charlton keeper's spill from I think Hourihane's shot. Quality from right side was also variable.

Turning point was Collins hitting the post just before halftime. That goes in & we're in a position to control the tempo second half & pick them off. Thought Collins was overall a lot better than last week, held the ball much better & very tenacious.

Second half they had to improve & for the first 15 mins, they were the better side. They pressed us & our passing became sloppy...good call then from Rosenior to change things with Sibley on for Smith. Thereafter we regained our threat but by then Charlton had cottoned on to the long ball in behind our narrow fullback trick, which was pretty much the move for their goal. A quick break after a slip from Hourihane & Wildsmith parries a shot to their lad to finish.

Lots of effort late on to grab an equaliser but have to say the players looked exhausted. Managed a couple of half chances but some overly intricate build up play at times (especially to generate space for a cross). The big chance was Knight's header...all of us at top of the stand thought it was in & he should really have scored.

Overall, happy with performance but we have to be more clinical when we're in charge of games. To say its a new team though, the level of cohesion at times is impressive. We go again. COYR

Edited by LeedsCityRam

3 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

My point is valid but being turned into another subject by the ever happy rose tinted members , even though we didn't create much last year and the year before and so on we still had Atleast a few clear chances to grab a goal and didn't,  that is down to finishing,  bringing me back to My original point of do the players actually practise finishing , and if they do it is only 1v1 against the goalkeeper and not in an actual game scenario because they clearly can't do on the pitch what they do in training in terms of scoring goals as has been the case for atleast a few years even with Manchester Uniteds leading top goalscorer they were still wasteful in front of goal 

I wouldn't say we were any more wasteful in front of goal than other teams. It was just felt that way because we created very few chances. And if we didn't score one then we'd end up shipping a goal at the other end. 

Today we created a lot of chances but were wasteful. You can't miss those chances and get away with it. But that's football, it happens. It happens to the best teams sometimes.

This is a new team and it's only the second game. You're looking for something that isn't there. But if this is the case 2 months down the line then you may have an argument.

Overall it was about as encouraging as a defeat can get, still a defeat and never nice to take but we simply didn't have our shooting boots on today. Everything else was either okay or good so far as an away performance at a good side goes, if we play like that every week we'll win a lot more than we lose and that is what we have to take away. Feel a bit for Liam, really tough to come away with 0 points, but no doubt we'll win games we don't deserve to this season too.

Edited by SillyBilly

10 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Overall it was about as encouraging as a defeat can get, still a defeat and never nice to take but we simply didn't have our shooting boots on today. Everything else was either okay or good so far as an away performance at a good side goes, if we play like that every week we'll win a lot more than we lose and that is what we have to take away. Feel a bit for Liam, really tough to come away with 0 points, but no doubt we'll win games we don't deserve to this season too.

I think that's an important observation. Liam needs to stick with the good, enhance a little bit and try to cut the less good. 

Don't throw everything out to try something completely different in the quest for "winning" football. 

We'll be fine once dobbin is integrated and may be we have mcgoldrick playing some cute layoffs. 

I've said before in a previous post, we are in need of pacey wing backs. Teams are going to regularly park the bus and we need that extra man to overlap and allow our wingers to come inside. Other than that, I watched us today and even tho we lost, I thought "we're gonna win the league" and I assure you we will, once we do the above and get atleast 1 pacey wing back in ?

We looked in a different class for most of the match. There were some worrying moments in defence where positional play was poor - and Cashin and Curtis made some very sloppy errors (again). The combination of long ball and play-it-out is potent if we do it well and Wildsmith looks like a handy quarter back. Midfield is still not working. Bird came to life when Sibley came on and I don’t think that was a coincidence. Collins needs a goal 

3 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I've said it before, but I'm still not convinced with a 4 2 3 1 formation. There are 7 defensive players on the pitch and we struggled under cocu, Rooney for goals.

I think Collins needs a goal for his confidence then it will come for him. I wonder if two up top with Collins and mcgoldrick would work?

Yes it will. This two deep mids thing leaves us short up top and particularly in the central / Advanced mid area

i love wingers, always have but we seem to moving in to an attack down the flanks  as our single and only attacking gambit. 

a bit down, but it’s early days and from what I have heard, first half was encouraging. 

2 games in, played well in both, won 1 lost 1, brand new set of players still gelling plus not fully fit which showed today (2nd half) imo. Not a time to panic, we will only get fitter and also have a better understanding of each others game, plus new additions will come in too. As I said before, we have played well in both games, we should have been out of sight by half time today.

Rosenior mentioned Sheff W last season being around 12th at the end of the year then 2nd half of the season hit their stride. I can see us doing the same although I think we will be higher than 12th when we do hit our stride.

Back in Crewe after a long cramped train journey delayed by Wednesday fans in MK trying to board an already packed train. Very enjoyable day apart from the result but I was encouraged by the performance especially first half.  I spoke to several Charlton fans on the long walk to North Greenwich and they were very complimentary about our support and like them, we are moving forwards after dark days. All in all I'm not too down and on another day would be bringing three points home.  Thanks for the pre-match recommendations for food and beer, loved Borough Market, meeting a lot of fellow rams fans. A good day.

Not much to add from what's been said already. At HT it had that feeling of a game where nothing was going to fall right for us - JK missing a header I would have backed him to bury summed it up. Credit to Charlton - they stayed in the game thanks to their keeper and got much more into it in the second half. I was encouraged by how we played in the first half and how we kept going right until the end. 

A great day out, and if we can find a way to score, we'll be fine. 

Battered them first half and looked too good for this division, they came out and looked the better side early second half then we got into it and made second half a pretty even game , they nicked a goal on the break we never took our chances ,,move on to the next game heads up ,

im not even gonna moan about the real doom and gloom moaners because it must be just as great for them to have only the football to moan about ,, we have a club to follow and we will do it in our own ways arguing the toss on here ,,, long may it continue 

10 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Frustrated by the result as it was undeserved but encouraged by the performance.

First half we battered them & don't think being 2 or 3 up would have flattered us. We were at them down both flanks, unlike last week the left side saw plenty of action with Roberts, Hourihane & Barkhuizen linking up very well. My only criticism was a lack of bodies in the box at times, which was the reason Mendez-Laing couldn't convert from Charlton keeper's spill from I think Hourihane's shot. Quality from right side was also variable.

Turning point was Collins hitting the post just before halftime. That goes in & we're in a position to control the tempo second half & pick them off. Thought Collins was overall a lot better than last week, held the ball much better & very tenacious.

Second half they had to improve & for the first 15 mins, they were the better side. They pressed us & our passing became sloppy...good call then from Rosenior to change things with Sibley on for Smith. Thereafter we regained our threat but by then Charlton had cottoned on to the long ball in behind our narrow fullback trick, which was pretty much the move for their goal. A quick break after a slip from Hourihane & Wildsmith parries a shot to their lad to finish.

Lots of effort late on to grab an equaliser but have to say the players looked exhausted. Managed a couple of half chances but some overly intricate build up play at times (especially to generate space for a cross). The big chance was Knight's header...all of us at top of the stand thought it was in & he should really have scored.

Overall, happy with performance but we have to be more clinical when we're in charge of games. To say its a new team though, the level of cohesion at times is impressive. We go again. COYR

Thanks for this. I only had radio Derby for company but this sounds very much like their commentary- dare I say Ed Dawes seems to be improving ?. Hearing the first 10/20 minutes I remember thinking we need a goal now or we’ll run out of steam and it sounds as if we did. NML seems to have plenty of energy and no trouble playing 90. I kind of get the feeling that McGoldrick will make a difference/be the missing link. Great noise from our fans, you could really hear us on the radio. What is pleasing is that we seem to have a side that wants to, and can, play proper football. 

Just now, jono said:

Thanks for this. I only had radio Derby for company but this sounds very much like their commentary- dare I say Ed Dawes seems to be improving ?. Hearing the first 10/20 minutes I remember thinking we need a goal now or we’ll run out of steam and it sounds as if we did. NML seems to have plenty of energy and no trouble playing 90. I kind of get the feeling that McGoldrick will make a difference/be the missing link. Great noise from our fans, you could really hear us on the radio. What is pleasing is that we seem to have a side that wants to, and can, play proper football. 

Yeah, sadly a few of us were predicting we may have 'missed the boat' at half time. Had enough of the play late in the second half to still win the game but it lacked the first half incisive fluency (they were also defending for their lives).

Totally agree about McGoldrick, he'll improve us with another presence to hold the ball up, an option in the box & those clever layoffs. Especially important against teams who will sit in or press high. Think Collins will thrive with having him around too.

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

An actual true reflection of the game! ??

We need a proper goal scorer  Collins isnt a prolific goal scorer all collins is is muscle up front that will weigh in with the odd goal .

McGoldrick will make a big difference but again he is injury prone as soon as he comes into the side he will go out again .

Signing promising young lads up front from the prem who are starting out isnt the way in the old 3rd div . We need a seasoned pro that stays usually fit and that has a bit of quality and physicality about them . If we DONT we wont go up.

All this its early days and team needs to gel and get fitness is biggest loads of im trying to kid myself going . 

These are Pros its not like their going to down 60 burgers in there few weeks off and lie in bed all day they are already quite fit .Yep there will be a slight improvement as they play together but after just 2 games you can tell what we need and we NEED TO GO UP a seasoned striker .................failure to get one will cost us promotion . 

7 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

We need a proper goal scorer  Collins isnt a prolific goal scorer all collins is is muscle up front that will weigh in with the odd goal .

McGoldrick will make a big difference but again he is injury prone as soon as he comes into the side he will go out again .

Signing promising young lads up front from the prem who are starting out isnt the way in the old 3rd div . We need a seasoned pro that stays usually fit and that has a bit of quality and physicality about them . If we DONT we wont go up.

All this its early days and team needs to gel and get fitness is biggest loads of im trying to kid myself going . 

These are Pros its not like their going to down 60 burgers in there few weeks off and lie in bed all day they are already quite fit .Yep there will be a slight improvement as they play together but after just 2 games you can tell what we need and we NEED TO GO UP a seasoned striker .................failure to get one will cost us promotion . 

You obviously don’t know how fitness works, especially at this level of sport.