Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You are right that if you don’t score goals, you will struggle.

But most teams don’t score goals because they don’t create chances. How often have we in the past few years created clear-cut chances like today? You refer to our recent history but are looking at it from just one angle.

We barely scored (away from home) in the past few years because we didn’t create. Not necessarily because we were poor at finishing. Today we were poor at finishing, nobody questions that.

If we continue to be wasteful like today, we will struggle. Nobody questions that.

But you can’t draw comparisons with recent years judged on one or two games with an entirely different set of players. NML, Collins, Barkhuizen, Korey Smith and Hourihane (our five most forward players) weren’t here last season.

And to finish the point, we created more chances today than probably any select 5 away games combined last season.

But you probably know this anyway.

That points bris. 
agree with all of that, just disappointing we couldnt take one.

we go again though and im sure things will click as we get sharper and fitter

hopefully getting knighty into mid will help too

On the train back to Waterloo after the match. 

Enjoyed the game actually. Got some handy players. A couple of thoughts. 

- the midfield pair of hourihane and bird seemed just a few yards too deep when we were attacking to pick up knockdowns and half clearances. 

- mendez laing and Knight seemed to work well as a pair but then mendez laing was switched with Barkhuizen mid way through the first half and that didn't work. We lost the initiative for a while. 

- the left side didn't look as cohesive and a few different combinations got tried in the 2nd half 

- dobbin just looked as though he'd been told to get on and run around a bit. Couldn't work out our play when he came on, but he looked useful. 

- they had some big lumps at the back but we didn't do enough to move them around. 

- the goal really was a sucker punch. We do look a bit slow and weak through the middle. 

Lots of promising signs tho.... ?

6 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

We had 13 shots but only 2 on target they had 14 shots and 7 on target.??

To win games you have to take your chances.?

Was that because we were chasing the game? Those stats dont suggest we should have been clear winners .

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

On the train back to Waterloo after the match. 

Enjoyed the game actually. Got some handy players. A couple of thoughts. 

- the midfield pair of hourihane and bird seemed just a few yards too deep when we were attacking to pick up knockdowns and half clearances. 

- mendez laing and Knight seemed to work well as a pair but then mendez laing was switched with Barkhuizen mid way through the first half and that didn't work. We lost the initiative for a while. 

- the left side didn't look as cohesive and a few different combinations got tried in the 2nd half 

- dobbin just looked as though he'd been told to get on and run around a bit. Couldn't work out our play when he came on, but he looked useful. 

- they had some big lumps at the back but we didn't do enough to move them around. 

- the goal really was a sucker punch. We do look a bit slow and weak through the middle. 

Lots of promising signs tho.... ?

Pretty much like the last game except that one we won and this one we lost. 

I missed most of the first half because we threw a birthday barbecue for my daughter's partner. He is 30 today, and has never had a birthday party before in his life, so we did the only thing to do in that situation.  When they went home I waved goodbye through the front window as i struggled to put Rams TV on. I has to buy tickets to Tokyo first! And what I saw as two Derby players having to get treatment, Charlton miss an absolute sitter and Collins hit the post. Then it was half time. I love the comments on here about us playing them off the park, but not scoring, but am baffled by the doom merchants. Second half was disappointingly different, but knew it would be - if Charlton didn't get a boot up the backside, their manager needs sacking.

We actually played some really good football, which was a big improvement on last year's away offerings. Like many I used to think that Rosenior was the brains behind Rooney's achievements last season, but judging by our different approach I now have my doubts. As many have said the fact is that we are now creating chances, and we outplayed the home team, something we almost diligently avoided doing last year. And yes we did miss some sitters - if Collins had hit the ball straight on and straight ahead it would have broken the net and the keeper wouldn't have seen it. Instead he went with the outside of his boot, presumably thinking a straight belter was expected. Ho hum. And Knights miss - any other time that was a goal. But we also had a world class save and we hit the post. 

And the striker we so obviously miss was actually on the pitch for a lot of the second half. Young dobbin looks a good acquisition - he played well in the build up, and was there or thereabouts several times, but the ball just didn't quite arrive or fall for him. But he may well move things forwards for us. Bird has clearly stepped up a level or two since last season (although you could say it is because League 1 is a lower level, so he ought to look good!), but let's go with the "he's improved since last year", its much more positive! And my mate Sibley upped the ante yet again when he got on. I assume that Rosenior sees him as an impact player, but that's two games he has changed on arrival. Ho hum. Could he do more if he starts and plays in his best position? Dunno. That's why Rosenior manages a football team and I drive a lorry!

I'm not worried because there is a noticeable improvement to our play, and to our approach to the game, and with time for full fitness, and full integration of the squad, and the arrival of the final pieces for the team and we will be fine.

Feel some of the stick for collins is harsh, he battled well and got in good positions. If he does that every game and we provide the same service I’m sure he’ll start bagging. 

Positives there for sure though! Bird and NML looked excellent and i thought we got the balance of being direct and when to play shorter/more patient much better. We play like that and start being more clinical we’ll have a great chance of being up there!?

Edited by BrudeRAM

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I missed most of the first half because we threw a birthday barbecue for my daughter's partner. He is 30 today, and has never had a birthday party before in his life, so we did the only thing to do in that situation.  When they went home I waved goodbye through the front window as i struggled to put Rams TV on. I has to buy tickets to Tokyo first! And what I saw as two Derby players having to get treatment, Charlton miss an absolute sitter and Collins hit the post. Then it was half time. I love the comments on here about us playing them off the park, but not scoring, but am baffled by the doom merchants. Second half was disappointingly different, but knew it would be - if Charlton didn't get a boot up the backside, their manager needs sacking.

We actually played some really good football, which was a big improvement on last year's away offerings. Like many I used to think that Rosenior was the brains behind Rooney's achievements last season, but judging by our different approach I now have my doubts. As many have said the fact is that we are now creating chances, and we outplayed the home team, something we almost diligently avoided doing last year. And yes we did miss some sitters - if Collins had hit the ball straight on and straight ahead it would have broken the net and the keeper wouldn't have seen it. Instead he went with the outside of his boot, presumably thinking a straight belter was expected. Ho hum. And Knights miss - any other time that was a goal. But we also had a world class save and we hit the post. 

And the striker we so obviously miss was actually on the pitch for a lot of the second half. Young dobbin looks a good acquisition - he played well in the build up, and was there or thereabouts several times, but the ball just didn't quite arrive or fall for him. But he may well move things forwards for us. Bird has clearly stepped up a level or two since last season (although you could say it is because League 1 is a lower level, so he ought to look good!), but let's go with the "he's improved since last year", its much more positive! And my mate Sibley upped the ante yet again when he got on. I assume that Rosenior sees him as an impact player, but that's two games he has changed on arrival. Ho hum. Could he do more if he starts and plays in his best position? Dunno. That's why Rosenior manages a football team and I drive a lorry!

I'm not worried because there is a noticeable improvement to our play, and to our approach to the game, and with time for full fitness, and full integration of the squad, and the arrival of the final pieces for the team and we will be fine.

You in a bit of a rush Dave ? Miss your normal in depth report ??

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Was that because we were chasing the game? Those stats dont suggest we should have been clear winners .

We were not chasing the game in the first half, we dominated it. Unless we score more goals than the opposition we are never going to be clear winners.

We need to make the most of the chances we create.

Just got to borough for a couple of post match pints and the train from Charlton has helped quell my disappointment. The 1st half was an excellent display for a newly formed team and as stated we should have been out of sight. I’m confident we will win more than we lose but it would be nice to get a few away wins under our belt to remove that cloud that’s been hanging over us. I thought Collins was trying too hard to score and it didn’t seem like he was attempting to finish naturally. Connor H was a bit disappointing today. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Baffling reply. All I'm saying is that it's really not the end of the world. Yeah we lost. It happens. We played okay. I'm just disputing the doom and gloom nature of some of the posts. Not whatever nonsense strawman you are trying to create. 

I’m not pal, everyone loses games when I’m there away from home we always do ?, creating chances is good as you said we just need to finish them, it’s very very early days but in this league every point counts, how we haven’t come away with at least 1 I’ll never know 

23 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Pretty much like the last game except that one we won and this one we lost. 

Yep, not much between the teams in both games. Like every team in the world , we would love to have a 20 goal striker. But we don’t. Another concern over the last 10 away games is that when teams switch tactics on us -we don’t have the answers. It needs sorting.

Over coaching is a thing I see creeping into the game. It takes the natural instinct from the player and they become robot like. Managers drill into the players how they want to play and that is done to the letter in fear of getting dropped from the team. I see that in the current team. The lack of urgency is so fustrating for me. No quick frees or throw ins. Free kicks passed around the back instead of testing the opposition back line. Goal kick took 30 secs to take today when we were 1 down due to the fact that we have to pass to the keeper and to and fro for a while until someone lumps it forward. It's so predictable. 

On the upside we could have been out of sight in the first half and played some great stuff without that final ball. Some Tweeks in players out of position which will get sorted in the coming weeks. 

Frustrating overall but we move on.