Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

Just now, dcfcreece1601 said:

Why would I need to when for the 90th time I didn't mention how many chances we created last season read for god sake , I said GOALS you know them things where the ball goes in the net? We didn't do it last year or the year before or the year before and haven't looked like doing it in the 2 games so far other than one moment of magic from hourihane , if you mention chances created again I'm going to headbutt my greenhouse

You offered an opinion and have been challenged on it, the basic premise of the challenge being that, as you quite rightly say, we haven't been able to score enough goals (and, as many of us have noticed, this has resulted in us being relegated), largely because we haven't created anything. You started sharing your opinion by wondering if our players practice shooting, implying that failing to score over those few seasons is due to poor finishing. 

If you find yourself headbutting your greenhouse over people trying to debate with you (which is the whole point of the forum), perhaps it's worth remembering we're critiquing your points, not you.

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's going to be a warm one in lahndan. Possession will be rewarded rather than charging about like headless proverbials. 

Doesn't mean we have to be ultra cautious just mindful of not just booting and running. 

Don’t think this forum is the right place for your Derby ultras firm pre match tactics .

?

11 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Your inability to read what I'm saying is really frustrating , WHAT IS THE POINT in creating chances and still not scoring goals? For years we've been poor at scoring goals wether we have created chances OR NOT , Jesus Mary and Joseph 

The point is creating chances and not scoring usually means the team played well but their striker had a bad game. Not creating chances at all means it was a poor performance overall. The problem goes from one player having an off day to a whole team having an off day and the latter is much more problematic.

Edited by lrm14

Listened on the Radio.  The Derby should have been out of sight by half time.  These things will happen, I am of course disappointed, but not worried yet.  Some overreactions IMHO at this stage.

I will only start to panic slightly when we are 5-6 games in and still not scoring…

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

You offered an opinion and have been challenged on it, the basic premise of the challenge being that, as you quite rightly say, we haven't been able to score enough goals (and, as many of us have noticed, this has resulted in us being relegated), largely because we haven't created anything. You started sharing your opinion by wondering if our players practice shooting, implying that failing to score over those few seasons is due to poor finishing. 

If you find yourself headbutting your greenhouse over people trying to debate with you (which is the whole point of the forum), perhaps it's worth remembering we're critiquing your points, not you.

My point is valid but being turned into another subject by the ever happy rose tinted members , even though we didn't create much last year and the year before and so on we still had Atleast a few clear chances to grab a goal and didn't,  that is down to finishing,  bringing me back to My original point of do the players actually practise finishing , and if they do it is only 1v1 against the goalkeeper and not in an actual game scenario because they clearly can't do on the pitch what they do in training in terms of scoring goals as has been the case for atleast a few years even with Manchester Uniteds leading top goalscorer they were still wasteful in front of goal 

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

I kept going on about how we need to sign Cole Stockton or Alfie May and I wasnt wrong, we need a striker who scores a lot of goals.

Collins 3 goals in 23 games makes him the wrong player for us, am I wrong, time will tell ...

Collins is level with Stockton and only 1 behind May after 2 games played.

2 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

The point is creating chances and not scoring usually means the team played well but their striker had a bad game. Not creating chances at all means it was a poor performance overall. The problem goes from one player having an off day to a whole team having an off day and the latter is much more problematic.

So they've been having bad games 90% of the season for the past few years then? Chances created ultimately mean nothing if you lose the majority of games due to lack of goals 

Get a forward who can score goals (we have one i think he just needs some luck) and someone to back him up, the. not rely on teenage loanees or injury prone old men and we’d have a team here. Unlucky today, should have won by half time 

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

So they've been having bad games 90% of the season for the past few years then? Chances created ultimately mean nothing if you lose the majority of games due to lack of goals 

Not sure the point you’re making. We have had several managers, completely different players, a different league… you’re acting like we’ve had the same squad and same manager. You might as well compare today’s game with one twenty years ago than one two years ago. 

4 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Well yeah, that's why we've been at the bottom end of the table for the past few seasons. We created very little and scored even less. Also it's a totally different squad and manager in a totally different league which makes past season performances entirely irrelevant.

Edited by lrm14

19 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

You are surely joking about reading into one match? Look at the last 4 years and count how many games we have played since then and how many we have scored more than 1 goal in , people on here really wear rose tinted glasses because it's their club

Or we wear objective glasses and can see that this team and squad is a work in progress having come together a few weeks ago. The majority of our attack from the last few years has moved on (with only Sibley remaining), give this one a chance to work together on their combinations, movement and finishing. If after a chunk of the season it’s the same situation then I’ll agree somewhat with your observations. 
The last 4 years are done, what matters is how we play now and in the future. Generating chances will lead to us scoring goals, working on the areas we can improve after a match will hopefully lead to us converting those chances in open play and from set pieces, there’s logic in that thinking. 
It’s blindly optimistic for some people to have said we’ll piss the league before a ball was kicked and it’s particularly pessimistic to write the team off after 2 games. 

Yes Collins missed 2 decent chances but he wasnt the only one. Overall in both games ive liked his performance, I think once he gets his first he will score plenty of goals for us. I would be more concerned if he wasnt getting any chances. As a team we have created plenty today,been a while since we have said that too.

Someone will be on the end of good hiding soon imo.

Just waiting at a random train station near Charlton. 

How did we lose that game…..

Lots and lots of positives… massive negative was missing so many chances. Put them away and it would have been 3 or 4 at half time. 

To the Derby fans around me who were booing and getting on the players backs in the last 20 mins…. Get a grip. 

3 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

You are right that if you don’t score goals, you will struggle.

But most teams don’t score goals because they don’t create chances. How often have we in the past few years created clear-cut chances like today? You refer to our recent history but are looking at it from just one angle.

We barely scored (away from home) in the past few years because we didn’t create. Not necessarily because we were poor at finishing. Today we were poor at finishing, nobody questions that.

If we continue to be wasteful like today, we will struggle. Nobody questions that.

But you can’t draw comparisons with recent years judged on one or two games with an entirely different set of players. NML, Collins, Barkhuizen, Korey Smith and Hourihane (our five most forward players) weren’t here last season.

And to finish the point, we created more chances today than probably any select 5 away games combined last season.

But you probably know this anyway.

If you’re worried after watching/listening to that then you may as well call it a day for following us otherwise you’re gonna end up in tears when we actually don’t play well. 

Bossed the majority of the game - they did come in to it early in the second half but that’s always going to happen, you can’t control a game for 100% of the time. Created more than enough chances to win 3 matches never mind 1. 

Knight and Collins (x2) misses were costly ultimately but whilst ever we are creating chances and controlling games I’ll be happy and fairly confident that the wins won’t be far behind. A good performance today across 95% of the pitch. Just a shame the 5% missing was their penalty box. 

28 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I'm talking about one issue and that's scoring goals you say that another day we would have scored 3 but I guarantee you we won't score 3 in more than 1 maybe 2 games all year at most 

Only 2 games, one of which we won. We nearly went out of business. Let’s keep things in perspective ?