Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

Just now, Andicis said:

We created plenty. Finishing often comes down to a bit of luck or form on the day. You can't read into the finishing in a singular match and use that to make claims for future fixtures. We played well, we lost. It happens. Just relax about it. 

You are surely joking about reading into one match? Look at the last 4 years and count how many games we have played since then and how many we have scored more than 1 goal in , people on here really wear rose tinted glasses because it's their club

Just now, dcfcreece1601 said:

No if we continue to be poor at finishing we lose this 10 times out of 10 , unless we all of a sudden become ok at shooting for the first time since the mclaren days then I don't see how we win 7 in 10 ?‍♂️

First off, under Phillip Cocu, we broke a club record for scoring in consecutive games. It was over 20.

Secondly, there is a difference between poor finishing and not creating chances. You have to be worried about if you are not creating chances. I don’t know any team that has struggled in a season where they create more clear cut chances than the opposition every game.

All teams can have an off day in front of goal. There has never been a team which has scored in every game of the season.

You are surely joking about reading into one match? Look at the last 4 years and count how many games we have played since then and how many we have scored more than 1 goal in , people on here really wear rose tinted glasses because it's their club

What are you talking about? We never created many chances the last few years, we were actually relatively clinical. Just didn't create many. It's the complete opposite problem. You are being completely doom and gloom about a singular fixture that we actually played reasonably well in. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

First off, under Phillip Cocu, we broke a club record for scoring in consecutive games. It was over 20.

Secondly, there is a difference between poor finishing and not creating chances. You have to be worried about if you are not creating chances. I don’t know any team that has struggled in a season where they create more clear cut chances than the opposition every game.

All teams can have an off day in front of goal. There has never been a team which has scored in every game of the season.

An off day ? we've been having them for years lay off the strong beers and stick to carling

1 minute ago, Topram said:

On train back? 10 chances no goals lose the game? Could we lose 9 Out of 10 games but you’ll be happier if we create more chances? 

Baffling reply. All I'm saying is that it's really not the end of the world. Yeah we lost. It happens. We played okay. I'm just disputing the doom and gloom nature of some of the posts. Not whatever nonsense strawman you are trying to create. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

What are you talking about? We never created many chances the last few years, we were actually relatively clinical. Just didn't create many. It's the complete opposite problem. You are being completely doom and gloom about a singular fixture that we actually played reasonably well in. 

Your inability to read what I'm saying is really frustrating , WHAT IS THE POINT in creating chances and still not scoring goals? For years we've been poor at scoring goals wether we have created chances OR NOT , Jesus Mary and Joseph 

Just now, Andicis said:

Baffling reply. All I'm saying is that it's really not the end of the world. Yeah we lost. It happens. We played okay. I'm just disputing the doom and gloom nature of some of the posts. Not whatever nonsense strawman you are trying to create. 

They weren't very good, at all. We didn't catch on quick enough and allowed ourselves to panic and get caught out.

Looked better with Sibley on. 

Looked better with Fozzy on.

Didn't need Knight at fullback, Odoruh could have dealt with them

Just now, Andicis said:

Crikey. Do you remember the season under Arthur when we lost our first home game against Oldham and then went the whole rest of the season unbeaten at the BBG. We are a bit behind fitness wise but Beryl has said more signings will come in. We have a club to support. Let’s rejoice and enjoy the ride rather than the doom and gloom after two games ??

Just now, Duracell said:

I've had loads of strong beers too and my memory is failing me. Can you remind me of the games last season where we created as many clear-cut chances as today and missed them?

Why would I need to when for the 90th time I didn't mention how many chances we created last season read for god sake , I said GOALS you know them things where the ball goes in the net? We didn't do it last year or the year before or the year before and haven't looked like doing it in the 2 games so far other than one moment of magic from hourihane , if you mention chances created again I'm going to headbutt my greenhouse

Your inability to read what I'm saying is really frustrating , WHAT IS THE POINT in creating chances and still not scoring goals? For years we've been poor at scoring goals wether we have created chances OR NOT , Jesus Mary and Joseph 

The point is that you are conflating two separate issues. We never created chances previously. We did a great job creating chances today, and on another day could have scored 3 or 4. Yes, we lost. Yeah it's a bit annoying. You are making comparisons where they just shouldn't exist though, they are separate. It's really not worth having a meltdown over. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Drunk On One GIF

Half of our forum are in this state judging by these responses , I forgot games were ultimately won by chances created , maybe my eufa c coaching course about trying to score more than the opposition is pointless? Let's just create chances instead that will win games even if we don't score ? feel so relieved now I know thanks mate 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

The point is that you are conflating two separate issues. We never created chances previously. We did a great job creating chances today, and on another day could have scored 3 or 4. Yes, we lost. Yeah it's a bit annoying. You are making comparisons where they just shouldn't exist though, they are separate. It's really not worth having a meltdown over. 

I'm talking about one issue and that's scoring goals you say that another day we would have scored 3 but I guarantee you we won't score 3 in more than 1 maybe 2 games all year at most 

3 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Half of our forum are in this state judging by these responses , I forgot games were ultimately won by chances created , maybe my eufa c coaching course about trying to score more than the opposition is pointless? Let's just create chances instead that will win games even if we don't score ? feel so relieved now I know thanks mate 

There is an expression - if everywhere you go smells of poo, maybe check your shoes.

Edited by Andicis

I'm talking about one issue and that's scoring goals you say that another day we would have scored 3 but I guarantee you we won't score 3 in more than 1 maybe 2 games all year at most 

You can't guarantee me anything, same as I can't guarantee you anything. We've played two games. It's a brand new team still gelling with a new manager. You are being wildly reactionary. 

We're 2 games in with a team that 5 weeks ago we could have only dreamed of.

They are still gelling and will only improve. We're creating chances. This team is completely different to the last 4 years so absolutely ridiculous to say that. 

We're still 3/4 short. Our only midfielder that can drive forward with the ball is playing right back. I'd be doing everything we can to get one in to put Knight in midfield.

It's all about getting through these first few games and grinding out wins, gelling and finalizing the squad.

Last season we created hardly anything away from home. On another day today we go in at half time 2 up and Knight puts that one away 8 times out of 10.