Paul Warne

Day

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

A pretty good analysis, Jono, although Warne was obsessing about getting lots of crosses in before our midfield deficiencies became apparent. And in many ways our midfield deficiencies was largely because he kept playing a 2-man midfield, but without a ball-winner in there. Oh, and by-passing it whenever possible.

Thanks, and Aye, but what I am saying is we didn’t really have the natural  ball winner and the 2 weren’t really suited to rough a tumble league 1. So what was he to do ? Then add in that his mission is to get us out of this league, he had a proven system.
I think he was a touch obsessive early season, was desperately wanting to make wingers in to wing backs and play 3 at the back. The new players that could do that got injured, the remaining flank players were somewhat aging in the leg department or not very adept in the defensive component of their game. At that point he’d barely been in the job for a year.
When we had that good run mid season it was when he switched to 4 at the back because of the players he had left. It  showed me he could change his spots .. he still hankered after his preferred system, true ! but was pragmatic enough to accept he couldn’t have it. …. The ball winner you mentioned, arrived in the form of Adams. At least that’s how I see it 

I suppose it’s easy after the event to be sage and analytical. Just hope we can have a party on Saturday and for me he has a clear run without threat for at least half a season, as long as we are mid table”ish” on an improving curve; I am saying what I said 7 or 8 months ago. Patience before pitchforks 

We all want to be entertained but we probably all have different definitions: I find the 50 yard defence splitting pass collected with one touch a thing of great beauty. Others detest the tactical naivety.

But for any supporter I think it depends where you are in the league. If you want to avoid relegation any point will do, no matter how you get it. If you want promotion ditto. The points are the important thing.

Only if you have nothing to play for do your priorities shift to being entertained.

On Saturday grind out a 3 goal lead and then and only then start to party carefully---Man U Coventry!

14 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Check out the Bolton forums. Many calls for Evatt to go. They want practical winning football not occasionally brilliant but ultimately failing football.
who would be a football manager !

Think he comes across as a bit arrogant at times as well, which is always going to rub people up the wrong way when you don't meet expectations.

36 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Give it one of them Saturday Warney

That is such a brilliant teal talk. I hadn’t realised he had that side to his character. We are going to do this AND carry it forward to next season. I think it kind of explains how, after poor performances, we have bounced back so often and so well, rather than withered as so many “form” teams do. 

can’t wait for Saturday 🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏😎

21 hours ago, Archied said:

Wonder if there’s any flack flying around Ian evatts head ? Maybe Bolton would not have spent the last few games scrabbling round trying to duck up holding onto second place ,

im ok with the way the season is panning out , really enjoying it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry to keep repeating myself - I am on board with what Warne has achieved, but there really wasn't any need for us to be having to hang on to second place. It should have been secured weeks ago, and we should also have had a real good chance of top spot, which would have been much better for all concerned. Let's hope that the way we have played to get us this far was simply a means to an end. I'm fine with that, but really hope that we tackle the challenge of championship football with a bit more than the percentages. What we will be capable of depends entirely on the rebuild, so I wait in hope. Note the last two words.

14 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Sorry to keep repeating myself - I am on board with what Warne has achieved, but there really wasn't any need for us to be having to hang on to second place. It should have been secured weeks ago, and we should also have had a real good chance of top spot, which would have been much better for all concerned. Let's hope that the way we have played to get us this far was simply a means to an end. I'm fine with that, but really hope that we tackle the challenge of championship football with a bit more than the percentages. What we will be capable of depends entirely on the rebuild, so I wait in hope. Note the last two words.

Yes you do tediously keep saying the same thing. But I for one totally disagree with you. I am happy with the way the team has  (nearly) achieved promotion, the way the whole club has developed. We have done this season, what we needed to do to get out of this league, despite lots of injuries and having to play people out of position.

I am confident we will recruit what we need to be competitive.

I hope just to keep you happy over the summer that our 3(?) midfielders pass the ball to each other on Saturday and your boy Sibley gets a goal.

2 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Yes you do tediously keep saying the same thing. But I for one totally disagree with you. I am happy with the way the team has  (nearly) achieved promotion, the way the whole club has developed. We have done this season, what we needed to do to get out of this league, despite lots of injuries and having to play people out of position.

I am confident we will recruit what we need to be competitive.

I hope just to keep you happy over the summer that our 3(?) midfielders pass the ball to each other on Saturday and your boy Sibley gets a goal.

It doesn't matter who scores on Saturday, just that we get at least a point. We do have to be "means to an end" at this stage, and I am looking forwards to next season to see how we go.

Onwards and upwards, or to quote the Honda ad from a few years ago "More forwards, please!"

27 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Give Warne credit ,,,,,,,,,,,BUT ,,,,,,,,,,,

Totally disagree with you and your view of warne , the team and the season so far 

that’s your view and fair enough, I just don’t see it , I’m a very happy derby fan with where we are and how things are going and I reckon I’m far from being alone in that from what I see and hear in and around PP most weeks 

27 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Can you be specific as to why you think we should have sewn up automatic promotion weeks ago? Was it dropping points against Wycombe, Northampton and Charlton?

If so, since February, I wonder what Bolton fans think about their team losing to Wigan and Blackpool and failing to beat Shrewsbury, Stevenage and Exeter or Peterborough supporters with their team losing at home to Wigan, Blackpool and Carlisle then getting walloped 5-0 at Oxford?

Easy to say we should have done this, should have done that but doesn't that apply to more or less every fan at every vlub?

13 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Can you be specific as to why you think we should have sewn up automatic promotion weeks ago? Was it dropping points against Wycombe, Northampton and Charlton?

If so, since February, I wonder what Bolton fans think about their team losing to Wigan and Blackpool and failing to beat Shrewsbury, Stevenage and Exeter or Peterborough supporters with their team losing at home to Wigan, Blackpool and Carlisle then getting walloped 5-0 at Oxford?

Easy to say we should have done this, should have done that but doesn't that apply to more or less every fan at every club?

Oops- duplicate.

Edited by Wolfie20

On 21/04/2024 at 09:36, CBRammette said:

With the injuries he has had, especially to forward players, PW and his team have had a brilliant run-in

Bizarre that so many fans lurch from Warne out to Warne in depending on which way the wind is blowing. He’s a div 1 manager, almost everyone would agree.   You might say we got what we deserve, but we’re not a div 1 club so we deserve more. 

(Despite that, hats off to the approach in the LO game:  he went with Bradley in 3 at the back because of LO’s defensive frailties at set pieces and our problems with injuries up front. Nice one. It was an inspired move (but sadly, those are rare birds ) )

The interesting thing the problem with having a div 1 manager and winning promotion from div 1 is you’re stuck with them. Or that’s the conventional wisdom.   BUT there are rumours DC is partnering with investors who will fund our step up to the championship.  If he does, those investors may not view Warne as a suitable custodian of their investment meaning we might see - unusually -  a change of manager despite promotion. 

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Bizarre that so many fans lurch from Warne out to Warne in depending on which way the wind is blowing. He’s a div 1 manager, almost everyone would agree.   You might say we got what we deserve, but we’re not a div 1 club so we deserve more. 

(Despite that, hats off to the approach in the LO game:  he went with Bradley in 3 at the back because of LO’s defensive frailties at set pieces and our problems with injuries up front. Nice one. It was an inspired move (but sadly, those are rare birds ) )

The interesting thing the problem with having a div 1 manager and winning promotion from div 1 is you’re stuck with them. Or that’s the conventional wisdom.   BUT there are rumours DC is partnering with investors who will fund our step up to the championship.  If he does, those investors may not view Warne as a suitable custodian of their investment meaning we might see - unusually -  a change of manager despite promotion. 

"almost everyone would agree" based on what exactly?

8 hours ago, FindernRam said:

We all want to be entertained but we probably all have different definitions: I find the 50 yard defence splitting pass collected with one touch a thing of great beauty. Others detest the tactical naivety.

But for any supporter I think it depends where you are in the league. If you want to avoid relegation any point will do, no matter how you get it. If you want promotion ditto. The points are the important thing.

Only if you have nothing to play for do your priorities shift to being entertained.

On Saturday grind out a 3 goal lead and then and only then start to party carefully---Man U Coventry!

I find some of the comments on this thread entertaining in themselves 

35 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Couldn’t disagree more. You cannot (although you will) compare Rotherham in the Championship (with all due respect to them) to a Derby side. No doubt your evidence that Warne cannot manage in the Championship is that he has had relegations with Rotherham? you are basically saying that individuals cannot learn and improve - which is crazy. Hopefully you will prove to yourself that people can learn over the next year, and that in a year’s time you will come back on here and say you were wrong.