Paul Warne

Day

5 minutes ago, sage said:

his recruitment has been a mixed bag. If we go up. i think his recruitment will tell a story

I don't disagree - but if we go up, it would be churlish to deny him the opportunity to manage the club in a higher league, because the alternative is always somebody who is either untried or someone who has failed elsewhere.

There are some on here who would be prepared - nay, willing - to sack him now (or after Saturday, irrespective of the result against Carlisle). The problem with that is threefold:

1. Compensation required to pay off Warne and the rest of his staff
  2. Compensation required to pay off the club whose current manager we subsequently poach
  3. The 'new' manager finding that his budget for the next transfer window is missing the amounts paid out due to 1. and 2. above.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't disagree - but if we go up, it would be churlish to deny him the opportunity to manage the club in a higher league, because the alternative is always somebody who is either untried or someone who has failed elsewhere.

There are some on here who would be prepared - nay, willing - to sack him now (or after Saturday, irrespective of the result against Carlisle). The problem with that is threefold:

1. Compensation required to pay off Warne and the rest of his staff
  2. Compensation required to pay off the club whose current manager we subsequently poach
  3. The 'new' manager finding that his budget for the next transfer window is missing the amounts paid out due to 1. and 2. above.

Warnock it is then 😂

If Warne gets us up and keeps us up, he'll deserve and get a new contract.

If he then nicks a play-off win and gives us 5 years of Stoke under Pulis, Burnley under Dyche type premier league football...would he be a Bald Eagle style hero? Or would folks still moan? I'm not sure what we expect, collectively.

I hope and expect that the football will be better next season IF we do go up.

Edited by MaltRam

Not that it really means anything but Rotherham were relegated by 4pts in the 2018/19 season and by 2pts in the 2020/21 season.  Last season PW left them towards the end of September in 8th place and they managed to stay up with 50pts.  This season, their first full season without PW in a long time, they are currently a massive 20pts adrift at the bottom.

Normally wage budget is a good indicator of where you'll finish at the end of the season and Rotherham prove this time and again.  Didn't Nigel Clough hail Burton Albions success at remaining in the Championship for one his greatest achievements?  I don't know what Rotherhams Lg1 budget is like compared to the rest, but for PW to get them promoted 3x (and us 1x hopefully!) and keep them in contention throughout a Championship season shouldn't be underestimated imho.

I did say that normally wage budget is a good indicator of where you'll finish, but I think the circumstances of us coming out of administration counter that argument a little.  Did LR have a choice of player or did he just get who was available?  PW came in and inherited a squad of older players that needed to be managed and younger players that needed time to grow - one of his first interviews highlighted a lack of players in their prime.  

During his time with us his hands have been tied financially and he's managed an injury prone squad to the brink of automatic promotion.  I personally think if we go up at the weekend we're ahead of schedule.  Next season would have been his first legitimate attempt with a bit of financial muscle - hence DC giving him a 4yr deal.

Next season is going to be tough, we aren't an Ipswich who built a squad over several seasons and just need to add a few players to go again.  Its another rebuild with limited funds, we were warned at the recent Fans Forum that we'd be looking for stability first and foremost and to me that means just avoiding relegation next season.  Unless we get some outside funding I won't be shouting for PWs head at Christmas if we're struggling.  Bottom 6 at the end of the season would be a good building block to kick on from if we've got a core of players we can then add to. 

We're not throwing money around risking our existence like we used to.  Slow, steady and realistic progress is the way forwards.

If we go up, surely recruitment would have to be considered a success as we will have completed a key objective? Being overly critical of recruitment seems harsh when no club gets every move right.

Warne, Thomas and the club have made mistakes, there’s no denying that. The signings of John Jules and Embleton were always a huge risk and never looked likely to pay off, for example.

But on the whole, they have got plenty right. Adams, Wilson and Nelson have become important first team players and each of them is playing a key role in a promotion push. Gayle and Nyambe have shown their class and surely would have contributed more if not for injuries.

Even signings that have clearly not lived up to expectations have still contributed across the season to a winning team. Ward, Bradley, Waghorn, Washington and Elder have all played a role and contributed to the team earning important results at one time or another.

There are even signings that have disappointed so far - CBT and Fornah - who may benefit from a clean slate in pre season with the hope of there being more to come.

8 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Nelson has been solid in tier 3 but got relegated, last time in the Championship . Showing what a big step up it is . Gayle was the desperation signing - his hamstrings have shot it . We have to get quality in , this Summer to give Warne a fighting chance . NML brings no guarantees in the Champ . 

Byrne and Marshall got relegated the season before we signed them from Wigan and they were good signings in the champs. 

8 hours ago, MaltRam said:

If Warne gets us up and keeps us up, he'll deserve and get a new contract.

If he then nicks a play-off win and gives us 5 years of Stoke under Pulis, Burnley under Dyche type premier league football...would he be a Bald Eagle style hero? Or would folks still moan? I'm not sure what we expect, collectively.

I hope and expect that the football will be better next season IF we do go up.

I think that depends on the nature of him keeping us up. If we survive by the skin of our teeth, having spent a reasonable amount in the summer, playing awful football then I’m not so sure. I may not be sacking him (or maybe I would if the season was panning out that badly) but extending an expiring contract is a little different.

10 hours ago, sage said:

Our wage budget is 25% higher than our nearest competitor 

Even if that is true, which I doubt, it'll be largely due to us having to rely on older & experienced freebies - on the higher wages that come with it. My point still stands that PW shouldn't be blamed for that.

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Longer than he got - a lot longer.

The way he was sacked by Sam Rush was nothing short of disgusting, and still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Clough had basically kept Derby afloat for about 4 years, balancing the books and operating on a shoestring budget (a string which grew shorter each year) thanks to the almost complete absence of any meaningful investment by GSE, and he left Derby in a far more secure position than when he first took over. The fact that Steve McClaren then took over the reins and took the team forward on the pitch only goes so far in justifying Clough's sacking - and hindsight being 20:20, it's equally arguable that the whole financial mess which culminated in Administration and subsequent relegation would never had happened if Clough had not had his legs sawn from under him following the 1:0 defeat at the City Ground.

I can see how you assess a managers success from that.

I'm glad Rush replaced him and Mac showed what Clough was missing in ability. Your extrapolation from that point is hilarious though.

11 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Nelson has been solid in tier 3 but got relegated, last time in the Championship . Showing what a big step up it is . Gayle was the desperation signing - his hamstrings have shot it . We have to get quality in , this Summer to give Warne a fighting chance . NML brings no guarantees in the Champ . 

Are you talking about Nelson being relegated with Blackpool? If so, he only joined them in the January of that season by which time they were already bottom but one in the league. So, I’m not sure how much of Blackpool’s relegation you can attribute to him.