Paul Warne

Day

I think I’ve got it ,, some people really enjoy the ups football brings whilst some enjoy the downs , was scratching my head over some of the stuff on here and my mind drifted back to being a young fella , my first real girlfriend s dad was a derby fan , season ticket in the ley stand and I got in the habit of getting a lift to games with him and some of his friends , he never missed a game but he did nothing but moan , I used to wonder why the hell he went to games ,,, and we were bloody good then ,,,,

perhaps some like the moaning , perhaps they are as happy as sand boys in normal life and football is an outlet to be a right misery guts 😂

It is often claimed that Warne's style of football is just 'hoofball'. Seeing Cambridge's pitch on Saturday reminded me of one important requirement in order to play 'hoofball', that is a dry pitch. You need the ball to hold up if you're playing it over the top all the time. Anyone going to PP will notice that the sprinklers are usually on pre-match and at half time, to help promote a slick type of play, which is actually the style Warne prefers to play. If you have a wet pitch, any balls over the defence are likely to run through and out of play. 

I noticed that at Portsmouth in the wet conditions against us, they continued with their pumping high balls over the top to Kamara, with the ball invariably running out of play.

30 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Couldn’t disagree more. You cannot (although you will) compare Rotherham in the Championship (with all due respect to them) to a Derby side. No doubt your evidence that Warne cannot manage in the Championship is that he has had relegations with Rotherham? you are basically saying that individuals cannot learn and improve - which is crazy. Hopefully you will prove to yourself that people can learn over the next year, and that in a year’s time you will come back on here and say you were wrong.

As I've previously pointed out Warne's last relegation with Rotherham was with a team with the lowest budget in the Championship and if that wasn't bad enough, they actually made an operating profit that season and a profit on player sales. I think that many top managers would struggle under those circumstances.

His budget at Derby will be competitive with most teams in the division and I would be very surprised if he was forced to make a net profit on player sales next season.

On 20/04/2024 at 21:49, Leicester Ram said:

Been on this forum with you for well over a decade now Bris, for the love of f****** god please enjoy yourself

You’re not the CEO of Derby you’re a bloke posting on a forum, you don’t have to qualify that you want better results next season (Paul Warne is neither reading nor respecting your comment) you can just enjoy that we won’t be playing in 4,000 seat stadiums next year

No promotion at this club in 17 years (over half my lifetime btw, I was in primary school) and you’re sat here posting that we need to be better next season, cheers you bloody football genius

Feel free to reply but I’m out on the piss and shan’t be reading it

It does seem incredible -17 years without a promotion , and it’s not unusual for teams to spend 20 years in the Championship. So it’s imperative that we enjoy the moment on Saturday.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

It does seem incredible -17 years without a promotion , and it’s not unusual for teams to spend 20 years in the Championship. So it’s imperative that we enjoy the moment on Saturday.

There have been many disappointments since and including that 2007-08 capitulation. Hopefully, Saturday is the start of better things to come. We will do OK in the Ch'ship next season, and significant investment could follow on from that. With the right leadership, it's not inconceivable that DCFC could then be competing at the top end of the Ch'ship. 

5 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Can you be specific as to why you think we should have sewn up automatic promotion weeks ago? Was it dropping points against Wycombe, Northampton and Charlton?

Think back to last season when Paul insisted on 3/5 at the back which didn't work, and we limped from one poor result to another for a while. But then injuries meant that we had to go to 4 at the back, and then went on the good run for several matches. But as soon he could, we reverted to 3 at the back, and the run ended. 

We have had similar this season, and as you intimate a certain group of matches acted as a watershed, with some sections, especially at away matches, turning against the manager. But this was  followed a change in style, with crosses into the box being lower down, even at foot or knee level at times, and a degree of playing though the midfield, and yet again we went on a run of good results. This was aided by the arrival of Ebou Adams, which enabled us to go to Warne's preferred wing-back system. But once again we started reverting back to by-passing the midfield, noticeably against Northampton and Wycombe, and once again our results faltered. Especially when it became clear that teams had sussed that if they double up on our wide men, we have no answer, because to us midfield didn't exist. These were points thrown away. We could argue that maybe even if we did play through the middle we may have had the same results, because football is full of imponderables and opinions, but after finding that 3 in midfield benefits the team, I am baffled why we moved away from it again. 

I understand the concept of adapting to counter or exploit the opposition's strengths and weaknesses, the Leyton Orient game being a good example, but several times the "adapting" has been inexplicable. Cheltenham away, where they had been outplayed in midfield all season, let goals in for fun and were metaphorically stood in front of a barn door with a banjo in their hand, and no idea what it was for, but we decided to vacate midfield. They were there for the taking, but instead of imposing ourselves on them we retreated into our shell. There are a number of matches like this one which were crying out for us to impose ourselves, but which we let slip through our fingers, and represent points which would have made a huge difference. We really could have been secure in second place, and we really could have had an eye on top place. 

But in these last few matches I have been happy for us to grab points however we can to make sure - I am not confident of us surviving the play-offs successfully - and am also happy for Paul to do his stuff next season, although I hope he doesn't pull another "Cambridge second half" on Saturday. Although the defence was outstanding at the weekend, it was an  awful demonstration of non-football. We are better than that. However, we have got the results we needed, for which Warne should be congratulated, but we have been helped to a degree by there being a load of worse teams, but again, we are better than that.

We are blessed as a club because of the phenomenal commitment and loyalty of the fans, because the numbers are there despite what keeps getting served up year on year, because it clearly goes beyond entertainment. And indeed if all I wanted was entertainment, if all I wanted was free-flowing football, I would have given up my season ticket ages ago. But apart from a short period post-Newman, I have been around "since I was a lad", and have renewed for next season.

So here's to next season, the great unknown because we have no idea who will be playing for us, or how they will be playing. And here's to Paul Warne for actually doing what David Clowes employed him to do.

Edited by DavesaRam

4 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Couldn’t disagree more. You cannot (although you will) compare Rotherham in the Championship (with all due respect to them) to a Derby side. No doubt your evidence that Warne cannot manage in the Championship is that he has had relegations with Rotherham? you are basically saying that individuals cannot learn and improve - which is crazy. Hopefully you will prove to yourself that people can learn over the next year, and that in a year’s time you will come back on here and say you were wrong.

I would imagine he will have more financial resources too…

16 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No

Fair enough Bird only has 2 out of 12 from set pieces. But the majority of Hourihanes have been set pieces with 7 out of 13

Over half of Birds goals/assists have come while playing as a no.10 behind the striker. 

Saying 'outstanding goal contribution stats for CM's' is somewhat misleading

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Exactly @jimtastic56
Enjoy the moment before it’s gone.

5 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

As I've previously pointed out Warne's last relegation with Rotherham was with a team with the lowest budget in the Championship and if that wasn't bad enough, they actually made an operating profit that season and a profit on player sales. I think that many top managers would struggle under those circumstances.

His budget at Derby will be competitive with most teams in the division and I would be very surprised if he was forced to make a net profit on player sales next season.

Agree with ram59. The assumption that he can’t do any better with us than he did with Rotherham is lazy, because our financial situation is completely different. Yes, he hasn’t yet done amazingly well in the Championship, but he’s not really been below par either.

I would be surprised and disappointed if we’re in a relegation dogfight next season tbh. I don’t think Warne will take us back to the Premier League, but I think he can establish us in the Championship again.

I just hope he builds a squad that won’t require a huge overhaul to suit a future manager’s style of play. It’s Clowes’ job to manage this, which is why I’d like a bit more of a sophisticated setup above Warne. 

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Bizarre that so many fans lurch from Warne out to Warne in depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I can't speak for other people (I leave that to people like you who have a crystal ball or some deeper insight that I'm just not wise enough or clever enough to possess) - but I get behind the club from top to bottom.

My philosophy with respect to the manager of Derby County is that I will support them until the day that they no longer hold that position. I started watching The Rams regularly 58 years ago when we moved back into the area (the love affair was, by and large, from afar before then). Tim Ward was manager at the time, so he had my support. I didn't call for his head when we finished 17th in the old Second Division, and neither did I call for Brian Clough's head the following year when we finished 18th. I just carried on supporting the club.

You would have been yelling for Clough's head though - because Clough was a Fourth Division manager, and you would have not deemed him good enough for a Second Division side. Now before you start some sort of mindless prattle about comparing Warne with Brian Clough (or even Nigel), I'm not. I'm just saying that, sometimes, a particular manager in a particular club at a certain time can be a good fit - or a bad one.

Coming back to the point I highlighted, it seems to me that people are either on board with Paul Warne or they're not, and it doesn't matter what he achieves this season or in any subsequent time that he may be at the club - the doubters/haters will still be doubters/haters, and the reason for that is simple - some people do not have the capability to ever admit in public that they were wrong, no matter how much evidence mounts up one way or the other.

Edited by Eddie

6 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Fair enough Bird only has 2 out of 12 from set pieces. But the majority of Hourihanes have been set pieces with 7 out of 13

Over half of Birds goals/assists have come while playing as a no.10 behind the striker. 

Saying 'outstanding goal contribution stats for CM's' is somewhat misleading

Misleading in what way exactly?

Have they got the goal/assist stats that the poster said they had or not?

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Coming back to the point I highlighted, it seems to me that people are either on board with Paul Warne or they're not, and it doesn't matter what he achieves this season or in any subsequent time that he may be at the club - the doubters/haters will still be doubters/haters, and the reason for that is simple - some people do not have the capability to ever admit in public that they were wrong, no matter how much evidence mounts up one way or the other.

I think this is only a small portion of people, Eddie. I’d say most of those who have been in the Warne Out camp have accepted that he’s turned it around and are very happy about it. Some may now be completely convinced, while others still have doubts but are happy to support him and give him a fair crack in the Championship.

There’s still a minority who don’t believe in him at all, some blindly and others after giving it thought. But it’s a minority IMO.

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Agree with ram59. The assumption that he can’t do any better with us than he did with Rotherham is lazy, because our financial situation is completely different. Yes, he hasn’t yet done amazingly well in the Championship, but he’s not really been below par either.

Hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if our financial situation is actually much more similar to that Rotherham side's than we might want to admit...

I agree with the notion that it's unfair to compare because, at the end of the day, they're totally different squads in very different looking divisions. But if you're looking for an indicator of his quality in the Championship then it's about all you've got to go on isn't it?

When he left Rotherham for us, I'm pretty sure they were in the top 6 or something, so maybe he's going to take us straight up anyway!

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if our financial situation is actually much more similar to that Rotherham side's than we might want to admit...

I agree with the notion that it's unfair to compare because, at the end of the day, they're totally different squads in very different looking divisions. But if you're looking for an indicator of his quality in the Championship then it's about all you've got to go on isn't it?

When he left Rotherham for us, I'm pretty sure they were in the top 6 or something, so maybe he's going to take us straight up anyway!

It is all you’ve got to go on, but as I say, I don’t think he’s necessarily been below par based on wage budget. That’s not the only way to asses performance, but it’s a valid metric.

I do think our situation will be different because I can’t see us having a bottom 3 wage budget. Even then, I think he’ll have a very clear ceiling, but we’ll just have to see.