Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It is a system adopted by most of the top teams.

It seems to me that some bigwig at FIFA has decided that this is the way football should be played and a lot of the pro licensed coaches follow it, no matter what. Football should be about individuality in coaching, with the best coaches winning through. If everyone plays the same way all the time, you know how to combat it, unless that team has far superior players to you.

I see the point of the Man City mega stars doing it against inferior teams, but when teams try to do it against teams of a similar level, it's a recipe for disaster, unfortunately many coaches don't recognise this. 

There are several ways to win in sport, being better players, better tactics, working harder, better team spirit, unorthodox tactics, better luck or a combination of these. The coaches recognise the best options to win a game, with the exception of the luck, but even then you can encourage luck by the way you play (whipping in a ball that is likely to be flicked in by a defender).

I'd love to see a montage of all the goals conceded in the Premier this season, through messing around at the back and for balance all of those created.

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What is the socio-economic background, educational acumen, and aspirations of “most” league one and two footballers? Where did you find this information? 

Word of mouth

most of these kids are not middle class.  In no small part that’s because middle class kids who are talented at sports tend to be under pressure to do the next set of exams and to pursue other careers. 

I don’t think it’s to do with educational acumen. I’d guess a lot of them never even found out what their educational potential is 

Not so sure about their aspirations. I’d think that if they are still young their aspirations are the higher leagues.  If they have found their level in the lower divisions their aspirations are - I assume - to secure the next contract on the best possible terms. 

57 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Because at a very early age they set their minds on playing for England and everything else goes out of the window. And if they’re still stuck in leagues 1/2 then - unlike those in the championship and above - football has not made them wealthy 

So your first sentence agrees with the original point. They’ve found themselves in a footballing career because they enjoy playing football and they’re (relatively) good at it. I know there is far too much poverty around but to suggest “most” league 1 or league 2 players would be in poverty if they weren’t playing football is an overly bleak conclusion IMO. Are you suggesting they wouldn’t be able to secure another job?

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So your first sentence agrees with the original point. They’ve found themselves in a footballing career because they enjoy playing football and they’re (relatively) good at it. I know there is far too much poverty around but to suggest “most” league 1 or league 2 players would be in poverty if they weren’t playing football is an overly bleak conclusion IMO. Are you suggesting they wouldn’t be able to secure another job?

No 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Because at a very early age they set their minds on playing for England and everything else goes out of the window. And if they’re still stuck in leagues 1/2 then - unlike those in the championship and above - football has not made them wealthy 

10 years as a league 2 regular will get you around 900k in wages. Not too shabby.  If you break your leg after 6 months and can't play you'll get an insurance compensation well in excess of most redundancy packages.  I'd agree that was probably the case 30 years ago when wage was probably 25% of the current rate and the educational aspect of scholarship was not part of criteria.  I knew a lad back in 95 who got bombed out by Notts County at 17 with no qualifications and wandered for a bit, same with a relative who couldn't quite make it at Port Vale.  Both did ok though after fixing their mindset on something else.  

2 hours ago, Archied said:

For now ,,, teams and managers will get better at negating it , it’s a bit like fashion , things go around and come around , even city are making subtle changes 

Yep, for now Archied 👍

On 05/05/2024 at 19:10, nottingram said:

Wasn’t the rumour at the time that Pearson sussed out who the problems were in the dressing room, and in a (very rare) moment of self awareness this caused Keogh to go running to Morris who promptly sacked Pearson thus proving his point?

His ten games or whatever it was were really, really bad, but I do wonder whether things would’ve got as bad as they subsequently did, if Pearson had just been allowed to get on with it. But never mind. 

The problem was that he was a builder of teams appointed to set an already good team back on the right path.

He should’ve been sacked after his first pre-season friendly or given two years minimum.

On 15/05/2024 at 15:32, kevinhectoring said:

It’s made them well wealthier than most of the fans who go to watch them.

I've seen a lot of people talking about Paul Warne not being great bringing academy/youth team players through.

I have a friend who's lad has been at Rotherham from a very young age and has gone on to make the bench a few times (he's still only 18 I think).

He speaks very highly of Warne and said he was great with the youth teams and was often down watching them train/play.

2 hours ago, samtheram83 said:

I've seen a lot of people talking about Paul Warne not being great bringing academy/youth team players through.

I have a friend who's lad has been at Rotherham from a very young age and has gone on to make the bench a few times (he's still only 18 I think).

He speaks very highly of Warne and said he was great with the youth teams and was often down watching them train/play.

I would imagine that with Rotherham being a much smaller outfit, it was easier for him to be more involved at all levels of the club. His priority at Derby, is first and foremost about first team affairs, as would most managers at the bigger clubs.