Paul Warne

Day

20 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Paul Warne barring a complete disaster has done his job, fair play to him and Clowes got it bang right 👌 but this is not the football I wanna watch week in week out, great that Warne has done his job and taken us up but sorry that’s not for me next year 😢

That’s fine and a valid opinion but pray tell, how do you suggest that gets changed ? It certainly won’t be by appointing a”young dynamic manager” who will change our whole culture; such is his or her genius … psst .. you have to find said applicant ? There isn’t a shop that sells them. Then there’s zero guarantee your choice will actually work. 3 losses and the faithful will be calling for his head, especially if we are playing sidey backwards and urrrrm not scoring goals.

It’s money .. we haven’t got cash to splash, few outside the PL have so like Warne or not we have to develop in stages in a methodical way. It certainly won’t happen next year or with your next Amazon purchase including free delivery and returns. So I wonder what you are going to do ? 

I think most Rams fans would concede there's some doubts around his pedigree for the Championship, but look at what he's done most lately, at a time where we we told the team would be dead on its legs. Look at the form he's delivered and this despite the lads dropping like flies at times.

image.thumb.png.b816f9985bd95051d4435d4516d77c4a.png

Assuming we finish the job on Saturday, he WILL be given his chance to show that he has the game to prosper at Championship level and I think that's fair enough. Whether or not he will succeed, of that I'm less certain, but I think he's more than earned the right to prove his doubters wrong, or not, as the case may be. 

I can't believe that there is another club in the world where, in our posistion, a seemingly sizable section of the fanbase would want the manager kicked out.

Yes I suppose it would be nice to watch Jim Smith or peak Mac type football every week, but , how can I put this?

We've got no feckin' money. Yes we may have a higher wage budget than many in this league, (or not, I don't know) but given the restraints and time frame he's had to work in I think P.W's done a crackig job.

As someone who hasn't been (and still isn't) completely sold on Warne, I do think he deserves a ton of credit for how he's navigated situations this season. Nyambe, Adams & Gayle in particular. Gayle was short-lived but he changed the dynamic to the point we were playing our best football. 

I have absolutely no problem with Warne's ability as a man-manager or as a tactician. In fact, I think he's probably one of the most astute tactical managers we have had in our modern era and I get why Clowes wanted to work with him. 

My worry is the coaching side, he's very good at creating short-cuts and drawing up schemes to catch teams cold. In both boxes, we are the best team in the league, but in the middle of the pitch we're significantly lacking and that's purely due to scheme. I think if (when) we go up to the Championship, it will need to be better and maybe that comes through better players. He said himself it's easier to coach in the Championship than League One and we have to take him at his word. 

If (when) we go up the standard is going to be avoiding a relegation battle which is difficult as you're either in a promotion hunt or in a relegation battle, unless you're Bristol City. I think that would be my goal for next season - to finish above Bristol City. It will probably mean we're out of a relegation battle. It would take a lot of surgery in the summer to make that jump (of course) but that's the standard. 

I do get the feeling, from listening to him, that he understands the scale of the jump and I actually have faith in him. The Championship is a rancid division in itself and it may play into his favour should he recruit well. 

On 20/04/2024 at 21:48, Bris Vegas said:

The reason why it’s more evident with Warne is because he won’t get more out of players. He isn’t a top coach like a Farke or Bielsa.

If our team is bottom three standard, then we will go down with him.

If our team is bottom six standard, then we will finish bottom six with him.

While some managers can get more out of players and have the team achieving more than their actual ability (Neil Warnock as an example), Paul Warne doesn’t fall into that category as shown by his Rotherham spells.

13 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

See I take that as a snide comment against Warne as if you follow the logic of your post to the other extreme then Warne only managed to get us in this position as he has better players at his disposal than the other managers in League 1, not for any other reason. 

I agree with Bris and Tyler's logical assessment of Bris's comments. Indeed Warne only got us into this position because he has the best players at his disposal. Before the season began, like many (most?) on the forum I thought we should finish 1st or 2nd given the players we had. Let's hope we finish 2nd.

Has he used the players to get the best out of them? I think we've got decent midfielders, but Warne's tactic is not to use them, and to get the ball wide as quickly as possible and then bang in an early cross. It only works at all because we have better players - otherwise it would have been too easy to defend against. But Warne identified it as a way to win matches and we have won a lot of matches. Was it the best way of playing? Is the proof of the pudding always in the eating? Does the end justify the means? Maybe - it has been vital to get up this season, so let's hope it was worth it and we do.

8 hours ago, jono said:

That’s fine and a valid opinion but pray tell, how do you suggest that gets changed ? It certainly won’t be by appointing a”young dynamic manager” who will change our whole culture; such is his or her genius … psst .. you have to find said applicant ? There isn’t a shop that sells them. Then there’s zero guarantee your choice will actually work. 3 losses and the faithful will be calling for his head, especially if we are playing sidey backwards and urrrrm not scoring goals.

It’s money .. we haven’t got cash to splash, few outside the PL have so like Warne or not we have to develop in stages in a methodical way. It certainly won’t happen next year or with your next Amazon purchase including free delivery and returns. So I wonder what you are going to do ? 

Who said I’d got the answer? Clowes went for the quick fix to try get us out of league 1, which looks like it worked. The other answer was to either stay with Rosenior or bring in another young manager with new coaching ideas to try get us out this league playing attractive football. As you rightly said if things didn’t go right from the off fans would want him gone. So maybe Clowes did get it right? My argument is I am paying good money to be entertained, which for 90 per cent of the home games, I haven’t been🤔

5 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Who said I’d got the answer? Clowes went for the quick fix to try get us out of league 1, which looks like it worked. The other answer was to either stay with Rosenior or bring in another young manager with new coaching ideas to try get us out this league playing attractive football. As you rightly said if things didn’t go right from the off fans would want him gone. So maybe Clowes did get it right? My argument is I am paying good money to be entertained, which for 90 per cent of the home games, I haven’t been🤔

No - you're paying good money to watch YOUR TEAM play football. If you want to guarantee being entertained then spend it on going to a West End show or to the cinema - you have the choice! 

On 21/04/2024 at 01:10, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Paul Warne barring a complete disaster has done his job, fair play to him and Clowes got it bang right 👌 but this is not the football I wanna watch week in week out, great that Warne has done his job and taken us up but sorry that’s not for me next year 😢

Paul Warne said you can’t play league one football in the championship and you’ll not get anywhere playing championship football in league one. 
why do some people think he’s stupid?

8 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think most Rams fans would concede there's some doubts around his pedigree for the Championship, but look at what he's done most lately, at a time where we we told the team would be dead on its legs. Look at the form he's delivered and this despite the lads dropping like flies at times.

image.thumb.png.b816f9985bd95051d4435d4516d77c4a.png

Assuming we finish the job on Saturday, he WILL be given his chance to show that he has the game to prosper at Championship level and I think that's fair enough. Whether or not he will succeed, of that I'm less certain, but I think he's more than earned the right to prove his doubters wrong, or not, as the case may be. 

The goals against column is unbelievable. 

Most new managers concentrate on getting the defence right first and he's definitely done that. An upgrade on Bradley, Niambe fit and we look decent.

Add more bite in midfield (Adams-esque), more youth/pace on the wings, a creative number 10 and a front line striker ....

Not gonna be cheap.

19 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Paul Warne said you can’t play league one football in the championship and you’ll not get anywhere playing championship football in league one. 
why do some people think he’s stupid?

Because we saw Ipswich playing good football last season and get promoted.  It's absolute nonsense that good football can't be successful in league one.

3 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Because we saw Ipswich playing good football last season and get promoted.  It's absolute nonsense that good football can't be successful in league one.

Never mentioned ‘good’ football, just how you play the game. 
whatever, I’m absolutely certain PW knows a lot more about it than me 

On 20/04/2024 at 21:48, Bris Vegas said:

The reason why it’s more evident with Warne is because he won’t get more out of players. He isn’t a top coach like a Farke or Bielsa.

If our team is bottom three standard, then we will go down with him.

If our team is bottom six standard, then we will finish bottom six with him.

While some managers can get more out of players and have the team achieving more than their actual ability (Neil Warnock as an example), Paul Warne doesn’t fall into that category as shown by his Rotherham spells.

Where he had them on the brink of the Championship play offs before coming here you mean?

On 21/04/2024 at 01:10, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Try and get a season ticket at Man City then?

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I agree with Bris and Tyler's logical assessment of Bris's comments. Indeed Warne only got us into this position because he has the best players at his disposal. Before the season began, like many (most?) on the forum I thought we should finish 1st or 2nd given the players we had. Let's hope we finish 2nd.

Has he used the players to get the best out of them? I think we've got decent midfielders, but Warne's tactic is not to use them, and to get the ball wide as quickly as possible and then bang in an early cross. It only works at all because we have better players - otherwise it would have been too easy to defend against. But Warne identified it as a way to win matches and we have won a lot of matches. Was it the best way of playing? Is the proof of the pudding always in the eating? Does the end justify the means? Maybe - it has been vital to get up this season, so let's hope it was worth it and we do.

I am not sure I agree with this angle. We certainly have better players than many; but the best ? I think that is debatable. Look at the midfield. The arrival of Adams has made a huge difference but prior to that I reckon or midfield was average. Bird is wonderfully talented but in this league often got out muscled and his skill wasn’t always enough for him to win those battles … so better or just good  ? Hourihan 6 years ago, yes a better player, but our Hourihan ? The one who gets caught napping against athletic sides ? A good player but “better” than the rest ?
The only areas where I think we had demonstrably better players was defence and out wide. We Haven’t got the better strikers and we hadn’t (until Adams) got the best midfield. 

Warne had “better” wide players and made best use of them to support our  lack, for much of the season, of a dynamic striker. This leads to a form of football that by necessity involves getting the ball in to danger areas via the wings and making good use of set pieces. All to create the greater number of chances to address those areas where we didn’t have “the best” players.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see one touch midfield interchanges crafting chances with slick passing ; but too many of our players didn’t demonstrate enough of those skills either due to ability, age, or the type of opponent / type of football played in this league. 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

I am not sure I agree with this angle. We certainly have better players than many; but the best ? I think that is debatable. Look at the midfield. The arrival of Adams has made a huge difference but prior to that I reckon or midfield was average. Bird is wonderfully talented but in this league often got out muscled and his skill wasn’t always enough for him to win those battles … so better or just good  ? Hourihan 6 years ago, yes a better player, but our Hourihan ? The one who gets caught napping against athletic sides ? A good player but “better” than the rest ?
The only areas where I think we had demonstrably better players was defence and out wide. We Haven’t got the better strikers and we hadn’t (until Adams) got the best midfield. 

Warne had “better” wide players and made best use of them to support our  lack, for much of the season, of a dynamic striker. This leads to a form of football that by necessity involves getting the ball in to danger areas via the wings and making good use of set pieces. All to create the greater number of chances to address those areas where we didn’t have “the best” players.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see one touch midfield interchanges crafting chances with slick passing ; but too many of our players didn’t demonstrate enough of those skills either due to ability, age, or the type of opponent / type of football played in this league. 

This. We had the best players?.our midfield for half the season, and our strike force in general has been lacking in quality. How we could get over the line with these deficiencies.. outstanding achievement.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

And how long do you think said “young manager with new coaching ideas to TRY get us out this league” would have lasted before the mob would be calling for his head? How long would we put up with “well at least were playing attractive football”?

8 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

I can't believe that there is another club in the world where, in our posistion, a seemingly sizable section of the fanbase would want the manager kicked out.

Yes I suppose it would be nice to watch Jim Smith or peak Mac type football every week, but , how can I put this?

We've got no feckin' money. Yes we may have a higher wage budget than many in this league, (or not, I don't know) but given the restraints and time frame he's had to work in I think P.W's done a crackig job.

Depends on your definition of “sizeable section of the fan base”. It only takes a dozen or so vocal individuals on social media voicing their opinion (which of course they are entitled to) to make it appear as if their views are reflective of a much larger group.

My gut feeling is: a very small majority have total faith in PW’s ability to keep us in the Championship whilst at the same time playing decent football, a small minority want him gone now regardless, some have accepted he is here to stay next season but have already made up their minds that it’s going to be dross, but the overwhelming majority, whilst they may have concerns, think he deserves the chance to prove himself and are trying not to prejudge him.

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Where he had them on the brink of the Championship play offs before coming here you mean?

This is a point a lot of folk are missing.  Rotherham were doing well before he came to us.  Now I know a lot of folks will shout "But they'd only played 10 games!" which is a fair statement, but how many times have we sat here and after a tricky start to a season said "I'll give him/I think we should give the man 10 games, and see where we are"?  

I can remember when the rumour was first mooted that he was coming in and Rotherham fans were asked their opinion on his style and plenty of responses were that he had them playing better, more expansive football than they had at anytime under him.