Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I’d give him a full season in the Championship IF we’re not in the bottom three or seriously flirting with relegation after a decent number of games. If we get promoted and manage to finish something like 15th or above I don’t think many of us would be complaining too much in our first season.

I’ve not been through the full list but, whilst it may be correct, the fact that every team in the bottom half of the Championship have replaced their managers is a little misleading. Firstly, Plymouth had to because their manager was poached, Birmingham owners have admitted they acted too hastily in getting rid of Eustace and then made a mistake with Rooney, Rotherham are so far adrift that it’s hardly surprising and Stoke are a bit of a basket case that seem to change managers at the drop of a hat. Of the others, there is only Sheffield Wednesday playing their first season back in the Championship and their first half of the season was so poor that, if that was us, it would meet my above criteria for making a change.

Weds' form since Rohl came in hasn't been that bad.  Just shows how poor they were to start off with, and an example that ditching the boss that got you promoted, as soon as you get promoted isn't always a good idea...

I think it's their plight this season that's gotten a lot of fans concerned if we do go up, considering how strong they were last season.  But it's worth baring in mind that they shouldn't really have gotten rid of Big Dave in the first place and they definitely shouldn't of hired Munoz who was a relative novice in the Championship and worked with a vastly better squad at Watford.  

Edited by ramsbottom

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Weds' form since Rohl came in hasn't been that bad.  Just shows how poor they were to start off with, and an example that ditching the boss that got you promoted, as soon as you get promoted isn't always a good idea...

I think it's their plight this season that's gotten a lot of fans concerned if we do go up, considering how strong they were last season.  But it's worth baring in mind that they shouldn't really have gotten rid of Big Dave in the first place and they definitely shouldn't of hired Munoz who was a relative novice in the Championship and worked with a vastly better squad at Watford.  

Wednesday didn't really strengthen at all and a few of their older players like Bannan weren't able to perform at Championship level anymore. I would be more confident that we would sign replacements for the likes of Hourihane, Waggy and others who clearly aren't going to be offered new contracts, which will include a few current Championship-standard players as well as younger players capable of growing into it. We aren't going to storm the division but I think we'd be resilient enough to keep our heads above water in the first season.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why would he be given a full season in the Championship?

Every team in the bottom half of the Championship, Sunderland to Rotherham, have changed managers this season. Every one of those clubs sacked a manager.

If Derby are bottom three in the first half of the season and managers like Mowbray are floating about unemployed, there will be huge pressure to get rid.

Sentiment goes out the window. If managers like Nigel Adkins can be sacked after taking Southampton from League One to the PL in favor of a better, more progressive manager, then Derby would be foolish not to follow suite.

Derby have struggled before under Clough and Burley at Championship level. But in both spells there was hope due to how we played.

If results go against Warne and we’re playing unattractive defensive football, I think Clowes’ hand will be forced.

I think we have to take into account a couple of other factors. 1) how much PW is liked by DC and 2) how much DC is looking to reset the whole club and the destabilising consequences any new management team coming in will be. 
DC has shown this season that he will trust his own judgement before that of (some) vocal fans and he clearly has a strong relationship with Warne - the noise then probably served to strengthen Warne’s position rather than weaken it. The club and management team bunkered down. Nobody is unsackable and PW will eventually go, but some are less sackable than others - see Lionel and Jim as an example. Promotion helped Jim’s position just as it will (hopefully) strengthen Warne’s. 

Professional  football is a brutal game with very little loyalty. Make no mistake if Derby go up but get off to a bad start next season  the pressure on David Clowes to change manager will be enormous. Hopefully we get off to a good start and new signings settle in quickly and we are in a comfortable mid table throughout the season. 

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve not been through the full list but, whilst it may be correct, the fact that every team in the bottom half of the Championship have replaced their managers is a little misleading. Firstly, Plymouth had to because their manager was poached, Birmingham owners have admitted they acted too hastily in getting rid of Eustace and then made a mistake with Rooney, Rotherham are so far adrift that it’s hardly surprising and Stoke are a bit of a basket case that seem to change managers at the drop of a hat. Of the others, there is only Sheffield Wednesday playing their first season back in the Championship and their first half of the season was so poor that, if that was us, it would meet my above criteria for making a change.

The Championship is brutal due to the expectations and the financial side of it dropping into League One.

All of those clubs have sacked managers because owners felt they were underachieving and the thought of relegation is unfathomable.

Only three (Bristol, Sunderland and Watford) haven’t really been in danger of relegation but still changed manager.

Plymouth may have lost their first manager but sacked their 2nd.

Point is, Derby shouldn’t be blindly loyal to Warne.

If many feel he is underachieving, relegation threatened and we’re playing poorly, he’ll go.

6 hours ago, Top Lino said:

Professional  football is a brutal game with very little loyalty. Make no mistake if Derby go up but get off to a bad start next season  the pressure on David Clowes to change manager will be enormous. Hopefully we get off to a good start and new signings settle in quickly and we are in a comfortable mid table throughout the season. 

Christie said on radio Derby a couple of weeks ago “The Warne haters are just hiding in the bushes waiting to come out “. Sad but true . I think he will need 4 wins in the first 10 games just to stop the pitchforks coming out. The PW/DC friendship will be tested when it comes to funds. 

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Christie said on radio Derby a couple of weeks ago “The Warne haters are just hiding in the bushes waiting to come out “. Sad but true . I think he will need 4 wins in the first 10 games just to stop the pitchforks coming out. The PW/DC friendship will be tested when it comes to funds. 

How long will you give him if things aren't going well? 

6 hours ago, Top Lino said:

Even if we have a bad start, I think it most unlikely that we will see a knee-jerk reaction. There simply isn't the funds available to pay off all Warne's staff and pay compensation to another club whose manager we poach. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some of them aren't exactly hiding in the bushes are they?

Nope. But neither are the 'rose-tinted spex' brigade. How long would you have given Clough Jnr?

21 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

As has been said many times, there aren't many who hate Paul Warne. It's the negative/one dimensional football that most reasonable critics dislike. Boiling it down to just "hating" him belittles many valid arguments people have had this year.

There are always those weirdos that bang on about hating him, usually for attention on Twitter. They have about as much relevance as Forest's opinions on VAR.

30 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

You don't have to hate someone to not like their style of play and/or have concerns about how well they will manage in a higher division.

5 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

As has been said many times, there aren't many who hate Paul Warne. It's the negative/one dimensional football that most reasonable critics dislike. Boiling it down to just "hating" him belittles many valid arguments people have had this year.

There are always those weirdos that bang on about hating him, usually for attention on Twitter. They have about as much relevance as Forest's opinions on VAR.

Well Said Sir! It’s not about hating another person; it’s about having a view about the football. I think PW is a tremendous person, highly verbally skilled and understands group dynamics. I just don’t feel convinced by his football. 

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long will you give him if things aren't going well? 

I know you were a massive Wayne Rooney fan , Roy . If you look at his team that stayed up on the last day - it included T. Lawrence , P. Roberts , M. Clarke and G.Shinnie etc . If we bring in talent like that , I would expect 4 wins in the first 10 games , and not to be struggling .

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Well Said Sir! It’s not about hating another person; it’s about having a view about the football. I think PW is a tremendous person, highly verbally skilled and understands group dynamics. I just don’t feel convinced by his football. 

A fair comment, but I just don't think we know what his football is like.  At this level, we are never going to pay to get Championship level players (more than just a few) as the risk of failure is too large.  He has to do what he can with what he has - means justify ends, and we need(ed) promotion.  

Should we be promoted on Saturday, my view is that PW starts again, a new coach on a two year deal.  His new job will be very different from his last one - albeit from the same dugout.  That is when, in my view, we judge the standard of his football.

I don't hate Paul Warne, he is a very likeable person and I enjoy watching his interviews.

My problems have always been with his recruitment and tactics.

Quite comical I know given we are 2nd and a point away from promotion, but this really is a very poor division and we have made things more difficult than they needed to be, just my opinion.

In terms of recruitment, to be fair to Paul, who knows how he will be free of restrictions, he may well have had 10 top players lined up this season and the club weren't able to do the business.

And tactics, we have had so many injuries (partly down to poor recruitment), but Paul has had to adjust given the situations he was finding himself in.

I've been his top critic, but if he wins promotion Saturday he has earnt his chance and more...I'd be happy to see how we recruit in the summer and see where we are come October type.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I don't hate Paul Warne, he is a very likeable person and I enjoy watching his interviews.

My problems have always been with his recruitment and tactics.

Quite comical I know given we are 2nd and a point away from promotion, but this really is a very poor division and we have made things more difficult than they needed to be, just my opinion.

In terms of recruitment, to be fair to Paul, who knows how he will be free of restrictions, he may well have had 10 top players lined up this season and the club weren't able to do the business.

And tactics, we have had so many injuries (partly down to poor recruitment), but Paul has had to adjust given the situations he was finding himself in.

I've been his top critic, but if he wins promotion Saturday he has earnt his chance and more...I'd be happy to see how we recruit in the summer and see where we are come October type.

Tbf I’m not sure you have been his top critic