Paul Warne

Day

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

And that's fine, by the way! I'm not saying it's not. It's just your own personal philosophy. For me its high up the list.

So the bit in bold is essentially where I'm disagreeing with you and with others. You might not expect to be, but surely you hope to be?

I've got plenty of sympathy for Warne re: all the reasons that we've played the way we have. Budget, injuries, quality of the players, the nature of the division, etc etc.

But surely we have to eventually strive for better?

I would imagine that if you asked Paul Warne himself he would even say that he would like us to be playing better football than this.

He deserves to be given the opportunity to do that, and I hope the club back him to do so, but you can understand why some supporters don't have much faith that Warne can deliver better football than this based on a) his time with Rotherham and b) his time so far with us!!

I agree with everything you've put here, and absolutely, I hope to be entertained - and, I may be stating the obvious, but if given the choice, it ranks thus:

Win and play well
Win and play not so well
Lose and play well

What I take issue with is people's stupid expectations. We had the same under Mac when we were playing well AND winning. To pinch a phrase from Alpha a long time back, we weren't winning-y enough.

I take issue with the ones that don't accept that we have those things tying a bit of a hand behind Warne's back. 

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'll ask again - what do you define sport as?

If it's not a form of entertainment for you, what is it? 

For me, watching sports such as cricket, golf and yes (for my sins), some football on SKY I class as entertainment. However, I go to watch Derby County because they are a passion in my life and give me a feeling of inclusion, no matter the level we happen to be playing at. Do I prefer for us to be playing exciting, attacking football - of course, who doesn't - but after a poor performance do I think to myself was I entertained? Never! Frustration and a certain level of annoyance definitely but those feelings fade as we get closer to the next match and we go again.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Surely it is fair to expect that professionals who are paid eye-watering salaries will produce skills which are easy on the eye having had nothing to do but practice all week?

You wouldn’t sit at the Crucible for a fortnight watching two players smash the ball as hard as they could until one emerged victorious.

I pay for a level of skill. These has been provided infrequently. I applaud effort of course but I could see that on the local rec.

Pragmatism will work to get us out of the league but in higher leagues we will need to be able to play a better standard of football and that will require vastly different players.

I look forward to seeing how Warne can manage that. As a Derby fan, I obviously hope he will succeed.

Yes but there’s professional s paid eye watering sums on the other team paid to stop them 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yes but there’s professional s paid eye watering sums on the other team paid to stop them 🤷🏻‍♂️

The other team doesn’t make them miscontrol the ball, kick it into touch or wildly over the heads of team mates.

That’s a technique issue.

19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

For me, watching sports such as cricket, golf and yes (for my sins), some football on SKY I class as entertainment. However, I go to watch Derby County because they are a passion in my life and give me a feeling of inclusion, no matter the level we happen to be playing at. Do I prefer for us to be playing exciting, attacking football - of course, who doesn't - but after a poor performance do I think to myself was I entertained? Never! Frustration and a certain level of annoyance definitely but those feelings fade as we get closer to the next match and we go again.

Yep , watching sport as a neutral is all about entertainment for me , if it’s not great I switch off ,,, watching my team ( derby county by far the greatest team ,,,,,,,,, ) is all about emotion , belonging , tribal , loyalty, highs, lows ect ect ect , truth is there is a big difference between being a fan of football and being a full fledged fan of a club though some don’t like to admit it , it’s levels , im a mad derby fan and proud of it but I’m nowhere near the level of those who go every game home and away and I don’t see the problem in admitting that 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The other team doesn’t make them miscontrol the ball, kick it into touch or wildly over the heads of team mates.

That’s a technique issue.

Really ? Yet the same players can play the next game or even half like pele ,,, perhaps it’s pressure thing , perhaps they are a bit off it that day , they are human beings competing against other human beings , the problem is sky sport ect dissect every minute detail and pretty much tell people no goal should ever have been scored if only such and such had done such and such ,

perhaps robot football is the answer , never a mistake made ,,,,, for me I think not , it would bore me to tears 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

Which obviously isn’t working too well 😂

No, but it highlights how we seem to spend most of every match being outplayed by poorer and weaker teams. And it suggests that we could play more football to add to the effectiveness of our non-football. It wouldn't take much to get everybody on board so that even on a bad run there would be n o flack flying around Paul Warne's head. And, if we had added to our effective style, as I have said several times, we wouldn't have spent the last few matches scrabbling around trying to hang on to second place, we would have been clear at the top.

Unless of course Paul Warne has completely stage-managed the whole season to take us right up to the last match of the season to maintain everybody's intertest. In which case he is a genius!

26 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

yes, and most of them try to stop us by outplaying us. With actual football.

If ever there was an advert for 'not playing football', this is it.

Teams trying to stop us by playing football - W 10, D 8, L 27.

If that's the best anti-Warne argument you can come up with, don't bother.

47 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

No, but it highlights how we seem to spend most of every match being outplayed by poorer and weaker teams. And it suggests that we could play more football to add to the effectiveness of our non-football. It wouldn't take much to get everybody on board so that even on a bad run there would be n o flack flying around Paul Warne's head. And, if we had added to our effective style, as I have said several times, we wouldn't have spent the last few matches scrabbling around trying to hang on to second place, we would have been clear at the top.

Unless of course Paul Warne has completely stage-managed the whole season to take us right up to the last match of the season to maintain everybody's intertest. In which case he is a genius!

Wonder if there’s any flack flying around Ian evatts head ? Maybe Bolton would not have spent the last few games scrabbling round trying to duck up holding onto second place ,

im ok with the way the season is panning out , really enjoying it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

30 minutes ago, Archied said:

Wonder if there’s any flack flying around Ian evatts head ? Maybe Bolton would not have spent the last few games scrabbling round trying to duck up holding onto second place ,

im ok with the way the season is panning out , really enjoying it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Check out the Bolton forums. Many calls for Evatt to go. They want practical winning football not occasionally brilliant but ultimately failing football.
who would be a football manager !

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

I don't agree with that statement. It's fair to say we've been outplayed a few times, but clearly not as frequently as you say, otherwise we wouldn't be second. Maybe it's the fact that we haven't scored 4 goals more than a couple of times, and allot of victories have been narrow, but we're in the top 4 scorers, with the joint most wins and the tightest defence. Now you're complaining that we should have got there sooner, but if you read the Peterborough and Bolton forums, you'll see them complaining that they should too. Most of them aren't saying "yeah, but wasn't the football great". Ask them if they'd be happy to be promoted playing like we do - I think the honest ones would say "absolutely".

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Depends on your definition of “sizeable section of the fan base”. It only takes a dozen or so vocal individuals on social media voicing their opinion (which of course they are entitled to) to make it appear as if their views are reflective of a much larger group.

My gut feeling is: a very small majority have total faith in PW’s ability to keep us in the Championship whilst at the same time playing decent football, a small minority want him gone now regardless, some have accepted he is here to stay next season but have already made up their minds that it’s going to be dross, but the overwhelming majority, whilst they may have concerns, think he deserves the chance to prove himself and are trying not to prejudge him.

Hence "seemingly sizable". You're right of course, probably a very vocal minority.

37 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Check out the Bolton forums. Many calls for Evatt to go. They want practical winning football not occasionally brilliant but ultimately failing football.
who would be a football manager !

Hang on a cotton picking second...

Reckon we've hit on the absolute jackpot here. We swap Warne, who is 100% guaranteed to fail in the championship but a pragmatic, turgid, League 1 genius, with dynamic, forward thinking, young Evatt who is 100% guaranteed to succeed at a higher level but seemingly can't get Bolton promoted out of a terrible uncompetitive league.

Wonder if any of our Nostradamus members could confirm if this the answer?

Gladiator GIF

A police car and a screaming siren
A pneumatic drill and ripped up concrete
A baby wailing and stray dog howling
The screech of brakes and lamp light blinking

That's entertainment, that's entertainment

A smash of glass and the rumble of boots
An electric train and a ripped up phone booth
Paint splattered walls and the cry of a tomcat
Lights going out and a kick in the balls

I tell ya that's entertainment, that's entertainment

Days of speed and slow time Monday's
Pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday
Watching the news and not eating your tea
A freezing cold flat and damp on the walls

I say that's entertainment, that's entertainment

Waking up at six AM on a cool warm morning
Opening the windows and breathing in petrol
An amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard
Watching the tele and thinking about your holidays

La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Waking up from bad dreams and smoking cigarettes
Cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume
A hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac
Feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away

Two lovers kissing amongst the scream of midnight
Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude
Getting a cab and travelling on buses
Reading the graffiti about slashed seat affairs

I tell ya that's entertainment, that's entertainment

La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Paul Warne’s Derby County I tell ya that's entertainment, that's entertainment…….🖤 🐏

🐏 🔵 🟢 🐏

9 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Tell you what's amazing- how Bird and Hourihane have got 5G/7A and 5G/8A, respectively, when Warne's tactic is ''not to use them''... Outstanding goal contribution stats for central midfielders; almost like you're just generalising since Bird particularly has also played some of his best football in a Derby shirt this season. Funny that. 🤔

aren't the majority of those goals/assists just from set pieces though