Derby vs Fleetwood - Match Thread

Rampant

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Warne just said as much tonight that we don't have the quality you allude to stating we're not a Top 3 side.

Its all a questions of expectations I guess, I was looking for a win today to start growing confidence and for something to build on, you perhaps were looking for a win but in a more accomplished manner. 

I accept Fleetwood hit the post and forced Wildsmith into at least one good save but I can't see any away team not having a least one decent chance in any game. 

Unless you consider we should be having 99 percent possession and steamroller every team at home. Which is all about expectations again. 

I don’t expect that but if we weigh up chances - they hit the woodwork twice didn’t they? We had one clear cut chance and scored it. This is against a team in relegation zone isn’t it not a Peterborough or Oxford. As you say you’d expect an away team to have a couple of chances but you’d hope the home team would have more chances …

8 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

yet warne was talking all pre season about promotion and going for the automatic spots...

I think his point is due to the injuries.

We have three key players out for ten weeks and fewer incoming than expected. I took it as a plea to get bodies in pronto.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We could lose v Peterborough and Bolton and then win the next four.

We could beat Peterborough and Bolton but then lose the next four.

What would we learn?

Fixating on these games is meaningless when Cambridge are top and Stevenage are in the top six.

Warne will earn his wage by what he and the team does in the next 42 games, not two.

Whatever happens in the next two, these early results underline how important it is to stay calm.

Winning games, even early in the season does help though. Playing catch up is not that easy.

Enjoyed it today esp after Tuesday. Wasnt best display ever but we are in L1, prob a bit shell-shocked by 3 serious injuries and it was much more positive.  After Tuesday good to see us trying to play ball on floor esp first half. Well worked goal, pleased Waggy working out well so far as was dubious - Conor really needs to do that far more often to get the ball back. Well done to Rooney and Thommo. More shaky as players tired but good game to build on.

Thought officials were inconsistent esp re bookings and on whole woeful. Def at least one penalty.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bolton and Posh will both finish in or around the top six this season.

Cambridge and Stevenage will not.

It’s simple. We failed to reach the top six last season because our form against the better sides isn’t good enough.

League One is a league divided in two. We know this. By beating the small teams, all we are doing is matching the results of our rivals.

To get promoted, we have to beat our rivals. It’s simple really.

Yes, this is true. Bolton and Peterborough are likely to finish in the higher reaches of the division, but how they get there will depend on more than just results versus ourselves and other teams with similar aspirations.

Last season, we got 76 points and dropped 62 points.

Against teams who finished in the top 10, we had neutral records v Charlton, Wycombe, Portsmouth, Barnsley and Peterborough and took four points from Bolton.

The only teams who had a positive record v us were in fact the three teams who eventually got promoted and were clearly far superior to us and the rest of the division on a weekly basis.

So this idea that it was all down to our record v the top teams is overblown. Most of the top teams will all take points off each other, negating the impact. The real difference maker is winning those regulation games, the games that you are favoured to and generally should.

We dropped points v MK Dons, Shrewsbury, Exeter, Fleetwood, Lincoln and Port Vale at home, amounting to 14 points.

We also dropped points v Burton, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Fleetwood, Bristol Rovers and Morecambe away, amounting to 13 points.

That’s 27 points dropped, over 40% of our points dropped during the season, in games we would have largely expected to win.

If we were 50% better in those games, that’s an extra 13-14 points and a comfortable finish in the play-off places in the division.

You can choose to fixate on the games v ‘top teams’ but if we are more consistent across the board this season, that will help our cause just as much, arguably more.

Edited by Jourdan

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, this is true. Bolton and Peterborough are likely to finish in the higher reaches of the division, but how they get there will depend on more than just results versus ourselves and other teams with similar aspirations.

Last season, we got 76 points and dropped 62 points.

Against teams who finished in the top 10, we had neutral records v Charlton, Wycombe, Portsmouth, Barnsley and Peterborough and took four points from Bolton.

The only teams who had a positive record v us were in fact the three teams who eventually got promoted and were clearly far superior to us and the rest of the division on a weekly basis.

So this idea that it was all down to our record v the top teams is overblown. Most of the top teams will all take points off each other, negating the impact. The real difference maker is winning those regulation games, the games that you are favoured to and generally should.

We dropped points v MK Dons, Shrewsbury, Exeter, Fleetwood, Lincoln and Port Vale at home, amounting to 14 points.

We also dropped points v Burton, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Fleetwood, Bristol Rovers and Morecambe away, amounting to 13 points.

That’s 27 points dropped, over 40% of our points dropped during the season, in games we would have largely expected to win.

If we were 50% better in those games, that’s an extra 13-14 points and a comfortable finish in the play-off places in the division.

You can choose to fixate on the games v ‘top teams’ but if we are more consistent across the board this season, that will help our cause just as much, arguably more.

I already did a league table of the top 12 vs each other. The reason we finished outside the playoffs is because those that finished in the playoffs picked up more points against other teams in the top half than we did.

If we more or less match the points against the cannon fodder as our rivals, it literally becomes a league table within a league table of the top 10 or so. And if we finish near the bottom of that league table, as we did last year, we will miss out on the top 6. 

15 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Winning games, even early in the season does help though. Playing catch up is not that easy.

I think winning games early in the season can be good for confidence and momentum, yes.

But it’s not make or break.

Ultimately you are still going to be judged across 46 games, not 5, 10 or 20.

Look at Ipswich last season. They hit form at the right time last season and finished 2nd ahead of Wednesday and Barnsley. Look at Peterborough too - they pipped us to 6th despite being wildly inconsistent for 70% of the season.

We can definitely recover from a bad start. People are discussing whether this is the worst side they have ever seen, yet as it stands we are only three points from the top.

There is such a long way to go and so much life left in the season.

Pleased to see a back four today, at least in the first half. Rooney did well at RB and it was good to see Cashin in his preferred position of LCB. A back four of Rooney, Nelson, Cashin and Forsyth looked solid.

Upfront Waghorn and Washington worked hard and combined well for the goal. Thommo playing just behind the front two was tremendous, showing energy, skill and determination. For me he was MOTM showing a willingness to commit defenders and plenty of energy to get around the pitch. NML at right wing also did well, combining well with Rooney in a partnership with potential.

Smith and Hourihane in CM lack legs and bite. We missed Bird and need someone who can break up the play, organise and do the dirty work when it’s needed, Hourihane does at least contribute goals and assists, Smith for me adds nothing.

The 2nd half started in a similar fashion to the 1st half but it wasn’t long before we reverted to a back 3 which became a back 5 and subsequently a back 10! I am always surprised when teams change tactics and stop doing the things that seemed to be working.

Finally conceding 56% possession at home to Fleetwood is for me a disappointing statistic and illustrates very well the fact that we fail to control games when in a winning position.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I already did a league table of the top 12 vs each other. The reason we finished outside the playoffs is because those that finished in the playoffs picked up more points against other teams in the top half than we did.

If we more or less match the points against the cannon fodder as our rivals, it literally becomes a league table within a league table of the top 10 or so. And if we finish near the bottom of that league table, as we did last year, we will miss out on the top 6. 

Peterborough dropped 24 points v teams outside the top 10.

Peterborough also had neutral records v six of the top ten including ourselves and three teams in the top 10 did the double over them.

So it was their better record v teams outside the top 10 that swung it because they had an even worse record than us v the top teams, underlining that your argument doesn’t amount to much if teams are more consistent across the board.

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Peterborough dropped 24 points v teams outside the top 10.

Peterborough also had neutral records v six of the top ten including ourselves and three teams in the top 10 did the double over them.

So it was their better record v teams outside the top 10 that swung it because they had an even worse record than us v the top teams, underlining that your argument doesn’t amount to much if teams are more consistent across the board.

If we plan to finish in the top 10, then that's 28 matches vs teams outside the top 10, and 84 points up for grabs.

Win all those, then a pretty dismal record vs the rest of the top 9 should be enough for automatic promotion.

If we get 1 or 2 points in the upcoming matches against Bolton, Peteboro and Portsmouth everyone will be going wild again. But with 3 wins out of the next 6 vs Northampton, Lincoln and Carlisle and we'll be on track for automatic.

The next run of 4 games is possibly the hardest run of the season. Remember that if we don't get the results you "expect" @G STAR RAM!

Edited by ariotofmyown

1 minute ago, Stockport Ram said:

Sorry but I don’t know if I clicked post pre match. 

Did  Cash play on the left of a three ? What a good professional  Fozzy is. His only fault is being a friend of Keogh, I will allow him the occasional lapse of judgment,

We played a back 4 till the 80 something minute then yes he played the left of 3