Derby vs Fleetwood - Match Thread

Rampant

28 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

One of his criteria was being able to play in front of 25k fans. They proved they could do that on Tuesday.

I think criteria around playing style and systems might also have been an issue. That said, I'm not sure how Mark Harris wouldn't have fitted into our system!

3 hours ago, littleover ram said:

One of his criteria was being able to play in front of 25k fans. They proved they could do that on Tuesday.

It's a totally different type of 'pressure' playing in front of 25k fans against you compared with the pressure of not wanting to let down 25k fans week in week out.

16 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Enjoyed it today esp after Tuesday. Wasnt best display ever but we are in L1, prob a bit shell-shocked by 3 serious injuries and it was much more positive.  After Tuesday good to see us trying to play ball on floor esp first half. Well worked goal, pleased Waggy working out well so far as was dubious - Conor really needs to do that far more often to get the ball back. Well done to Rooney and Thommo. More shaky as players tired but good game to build on.

Thought officials were inconsistent esp re bookings and on whole woeful. Def at least one penalty.

Think you have it all covered there. Very happy with Thomson.But we have to remember Leagues 1/2 are the training ground for referees . We don’t get the World class ones or VAR. It really is the “Bargain Bucket” of officials.

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

No, we missed out on the playoffs last season as we didn't accumulate as many points over the course of the season as the teams occupying those Top 6 places. 

We missed out on the playoffs because we didn’t accumulate more points against the top 12 teams.

We accumulated more points against the bottom 12 teams than both Bolton and Posh.

I enjoyed the first half, less so the second. Having watched the highlights today I was reminded that Fleetwood hit the bar and that Wildsmith made at least two very good saves. On the other hand we had some good chances too and that foul on Waghorn early was a clear penalty. Nevertheless Fleetwood matched us and but for the run of the ball could have got a draw or even a win. The result put a happier gloss on it, but let’s be honest it’s only that. We played a weaker team than Wigan or Oxford and still struggled, particularly second half. So is that progress? I don’t really think so I’m afraid

I'm wondering whether or not things have moved on and Warne's brand of 3 at the back has been left behind? I can remember Wimbledon's assault on the top division worked because the teams didn't know what had hit them, and couldn't cope with it. But it doesn't work now, as successfully proven by Billy Davis when he took the Rams up there.

I expected League 1 football would be a crude collection of hoof and thug, with a basket load of time wasting going on. There are some remnants, especially the time wasting last season, but the standard of football by some of the better clubs is a lot higher than I thought it would have been. Could it be that Warne's version of "Ping it to the wings then whack it into the box" has had it's day, having worked in the past?

Edited by DavesaRam

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Think you have it all covered there. Very happy with Thomson.But we have to remember Leagues 1/2 are the training ground for referees . We don’t get the World class ones or VAR. It really is the “Bargain Bucket” of officials.

Dont mind so much if they get things wrong as long as are consistently wrong to both sides! 

7 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The highlights confirm my observations and feelings walking away from the ground yesterday, and driving home, and this morning. It was an improved performance, there was some good football at times, Thompson was everywhere, Washington, Waggy and NML look dangerous, Nelson, Rooney, Cashin and Foz were solid at the back, there were still some nervy moments, and Smith and Hourihane run in treacle 😂 

I’m half joking about Hourihane and Smith, who I think gets a unfair bit of dismissive comment at times, I think he does a solid enough if unspectacular job for the team. Good squad/bench option if we can get a younger, more mobile upgrade. 

I would drop hourihane he is passager and lose the ball to easley and puts us into trouble and take captain off him and give to craig Forsyth. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

We missed out on the playoffs because we didn’t accumulate more points against the top 12 teams.

We accumulated more points against the bottom 12 teams than both Bolton and Posh.

We finished outside of the playoffs by 1 point.
If every other result throughout the season had stayed the same except say away at Bristol Rovers, when we conceded a 95th minute penalty, if we’d held on and won that game we’d have been 2 points better off for the season and finished in the play offs. 

Your argument that we need to be better against the better teams makes sense. I agree, we could do with competing more against other teams in the top half. 
BUT we missed out on the play offs because we didn’t accumulate enough points from the WHOLE season. 3 more draws would have put us in the playoffs regardless of who they came against, 2 more wins etc. 

1 minute ago, RIMBAUD said:

Except when he won the ball and we scored the winner…

He might have done but 9 times out of 10 he lose the ball and when does pass the ball normal stright to opersition players.

Plus Rooney is the better player than him and laim Thompson.

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

He might have done but 9 times out of 10 he lose the ball and when does pass the ball normal stright to opersition players.

Plus Rooney is the better player than him and laim Thompson.

All three bits of your post are wrong.  I like Rooney and Thompson but atm they’re not better. 

I hope they do become better than CH. (with dcfc, of course)

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Had we beaten Morecambe away instead of drawing wouldn’t you agree we would have made the playoffs despite our record against the top 12 teams. Not beating Morecambe was just as relevant.

40 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I would drop hourihane he is passager and lose the ball to easley and puts us into trouble and take captain off him and give to craig Forsyth. 

The same one who scored last week, has created 8 chances in 3 games and won the ball with a great tackle leading to the only goal yesterday.  Not sure about that one mate, seems harsh.