Derby vs Fleetwood - Match Thread

Rampant

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We could lose v Peterborough and Bolton and then win the next four.

We could beat Peterborough and Bolton but then lose the next four.

What would we learn?

Fixating on these games is meaningless when Cambridge are top and Stevenage are in the top six.

Warne will earn his wage by what he and the team does in the next 42 games, not two.

Whatever happens in the next two, these early results underline how important it is to stay calm.

Bolton and Posh will both finish in or around the top six this season.

Cambridge and Stevenage will not.

It’s simple. We failed to reach the top six last season because our form against the better sides isn’t good enough.

League One is a league divided in two. We know this. By beating the small teams, all we are doing is matching the results of our rivals.

To get promoted, we have to beat our rivals. It’s simple really.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

And I understand that and I’m pleased too but when I spoke before the match to my dad I said to him - the result has to be a win today otherwise it gets beyond toxic in there so ignore the result, what else do we need to see today? We need a confident win which doesn’t look in doubt. We need to look better going forwards and we need to look less shakey at the back and through the centre of the park. I think we looked less shakey at the back but I don’t think we can say that the other two things happened. 

I just want more than a step up from ‘stopping the rot’ so to speak at this level with the budget we have and the quality we have. 

Warne just said as much tonight that we don't have the quality you allude to stating we're not a Top 3 side.

Its all a questions of expectations I guess, I was looking for a win today to start growing confidence and for something to build on, you perhaps were looking for a win but in a more accomplished manner. 

I accept Fleetwood hit the post and forced Wildsmith into at least one good save but I can't see any away team not having a least one decent chance in any game. 

Unless you consider we should be having 99 percent possession and steamroller every team at home. Which is all about expectations again. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ooh some football was played, in the first half.

Two worldies by Joe, kept us ahead, so MoM for me after considering Tommo and Wag&Wash.

Amazing what happens when you play a back four, have players playing in their favoured positions and pass the ball a bit isn’t it? Wasn’t pretty second half but a darn sight better than what’s gone before this season. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Nonsense! Only resorted to a back 5 in the last 10 minutes.

We were definitely trying to drop into a back 5 when we were defending, with Rooney tucking in and NML at right wingback.  It didn’t happen as much in the first half, but the entire second half it was pretty clear.  Cashin taking all the throwins on the left hand side being the most obvious giveaway.  

And like you say, we switched it full time when all the subs came on in the last 15 or so.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We were definitely trying to drop into a back 5 when we were defending, with Rooney tucking in and NML at right wingback.  It didn’t happen as much in the first half, but the entire second half it was pretty clear.  Cashin taking all the throwins on the left hand side being the most obvious giveaway.  

And like you say, we switched it full time when all the subs came on in the last 15 or so.

I think it was 4 at the back when attacking and 5 when defending? Not sure it was a bit messy most of the time. 

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

First half it was clearly a back 4 when defending, becoming a 3 when attacking with Fozzy providing the width as a semi LWB.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think it was 4 at the back when attacking and 5 when defending? Not sure it was a bit messy most of the time. 

That’s how I saw it.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

First half it was clearly a back 4 when defending, becoming a 3 when attacking with Fozzy providing the width as a semi LWB.

That’s not how I saw it, although like @RoyMac5 says, it was a bit messy.  The right hand side definitely seemed to be working as a winger+fullback when we were going forward, with Rooney staying pretty wide and playing NML in a bunch of times.  And I think the left was more just a case of Thompson tucking into (attacking) midfield and letting Forsyth bomb on (a bit like the old Brayford/Coutts combo, but on the other side).  Either way, there were definitely times when we lined up with a clear back 5, with Rooney, Nelson and Cashin as a central 3.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

That’s how I saw it.

That’s not how I saw it, although like @RoyMac5 says, it was a bit messy.  The right hand side definitely seemed to be working as a winger+fullback when we were going forward, with Rooney staying pretty wide and playing NML in a bunch of times.  And I think the left was more just a case of Thompson tucking into (attacking) midfield and letting Forsyth bomb on (a bit like the old Brayford/Coutts combo, but on the other side).  Either way, there were definitely times when we lined up with a clear back 5, with Rooney, Nelson and Cashin as a central 3.

I thought it was quite clear to see at the game, not sure whether you went or not? 2nd half obviously became a 5 once the messy subs had been made, how we ended up with Nelson as some sort of RWB towards the latter stages is beyond me 🤦‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I thought it was quite clear to see at the game, not sure whether you went or not? 2nd half obviously became a 5 once the messy subs had been made, how we ended up with Nelson as some sort of RWB towards the latter stages is beyond me 🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I was there. I’m sat level with our left back area second half, so Cashin was taking all the throwins right in front of me, which stood out like a sore thumb.  Whatever we were supposed to be doing, I don’t think we were doing it consistently (or if we were, I couldn’t spot the pattern).  Maybe starting out as a 5 and then transitioning to a 4 once we’d played out into midfield or something 🤷‍♂️. Anyway, it seemed a bit unnecessarily complicated to me.

No arguments it was a 5 once Elder and co came on.  The later changes just felt like getting making changes for the sake of making changes, and we only had senior defenders on the bench so it had to be them. Not sure how NML played the full game either, he was absolutely dead after an hour.

The response to Thompson and Rooney when they were subbed off spoke volumes. As far as I’m concerned they were the difference today, rather than going 4 at the back, or putting NML on the wing. I could never work out why, last season, when we needed someone who could hold the ball, use it well and move us forwards whenever possible we sent Thommo out on loan. I’m glad he’s back. But what on earth was Warne doing playing Thommo where he can be at his best?

Hourihane came in fir mention if his ambling round waiting for the free-kicks and corners, which provoked a fiery response from RD, but it is a fair observation. But his stupendous tackle set us up for our goal so that’s ok by me!

Today was much netter than Tyesday night, although with hindsight I wonder whether that was the players telling Warne to stop with his one-dimensional tactics, and even though we only won 1 - 0 against a team we should see off easily, it was the result we needed. The rest can follow. However there were two very, very good calls  for penalties, both for fouls on Waggy which were blind-eyed. Us that 4 or 5 penalties thus season already? We had a clear run on goal which was pulled back when the advantage should have been played. And for the second match in a row Derby ended up with a stack of yellow cards, virtually all of them for absolutely nothing, such as NML, who barely touched the Fleetwood man. While Fleetwood should have 4 or 5 more than they did. Pundits and fans alike keep asking for greater consistency. Sadly they are already consistent, and as far as D FC are concerned it is all one way.

So on to Bolton via Peterborough. At least by then all the players Paul has lined up to bring in “by the end of the week” will give us a squad nearly as big as a Nottingham Forest subs bench. Or the same squad as before. 🙄

Nevertheless, COME ON YOU RAMS!

Still wasn't very good was it?

If Fleetwood had equalised in the final moments of the game, you wouldn't have thought it was undeserved

We won but we didn't do enough to say we deserved the win.

Rooney and Thompson were really good, and were rewarded by being subbed off. Don't think a single substitution today did us any favours. Each one seems to set us further and further back.

Seriously nervy win. I hope it's just needing the monkey off our back at home and we can improve from here

Edited by Tombo