Derby vs Fleetwood - Match Thread

Rampant

14 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Had a long but good day yesterday, haven’t seen the highlights yet but my summary of the game based on what I saw and my own conclusions is as follows. 
Started the game really well, pace and intent from the kick off. I thought the first Waghorn incident was a pen and wonder if the ref panicked with it being so early in the game.
It looked to be a back 4 from where I was sat in the East stand @rammieib  with them lined up in a 4 and NML playing high on the right, which is why I posted yesterday to try and clarify the shape for other forum members….however there were times when NML dropped in as a rwb and it became a back 5 in defence, seemingly a sort of fluid 4/5 in defence. Then of course the clear change to 3/5 at the back late on.
The defence still looked nervy at times but the 4 worked well for the most part, Rooney was calm and assured considering his limited minutes before yesterday. Nelson and Cashin looked more comfortable as a 2. Fozzy was his typical composed presence, reading the game well and helping that calmness. Elder and Bradley seemed keen to impress when they came on which made for some nervy moments, one example that sticks out was when Elder went to head a lofted pass forward which he was never getting and ended up jumping through two of their players. BUT the defence and Wildsmith did all dig in and they got the clean sheet, even if it wasn’t pretty at times.
Waghorn and Washington showed what they can offer as a forward pairing with running and movement aplenty. Waghorn’s control of Wash’s shot to then turn and finish shows his quality. That’s 2 goals already for him, showing that he will indeed score at this level. Both tired as the game went on with Collins and Sibley putting an effort in when they came on but not quite having the same impact. I think that’s probably a combination of lack of mins for Sibley, and the fact we’d retreated more as the game went on. 

Thompson was everywhere, which I was really pleased with, I’ve said in pre season I thought he’d offer something to this side and think he took his chance with both hands. Apart from the silly booking it was a good all energy performance. Nipping in to win second balls and carry it forward, running and harrying their players, driving forward, and not shirking the physical battle as he was in a constant grind with their 6.  

NML, Smith and Hourihane put in plenty of effort and contributed to lots of nearly moments. NML was dangerous on the right, he first couple of runs nearly led to chances, if we can nail the final ball with him in those positions he’ll be back to scoring and assisting like he was last season. Smith and Hourihane both looked so slow, the intent and effort there to get across the ground but the legs not quite carrying them. A more mobile presence in there with Hourihane changes the side quite quickly I think, with Smith then an option to come on and help see out games/rotate. We need that signing. I think that contributes to our lack of control in games, the midfield is too immobile and gets bypassed at times, easier to see it in person than on ramstv, not slating their effort, just think it’s clear we need more legs in there, not dynamic enough.
In summary, it was a slightly better performance at times on the way to a much needed result, still some of the same worries remain. I think the change to 5 at the back late on was partly due to circumstances (not many options on the bench and wanting to grind out the win) but I’d have much preferred Warne to give the likes of Bardell and Robinson the chance. Robinson could have added some energy to a tired midfield and Bardell a more natural option at rb/rwb than Nelson who definitely got caught tucking in too Central a couple of times. 
However, a day in Derby in the sunshine, a rat burger outside the ground, quality time with my dad, sister and uncle, 3 points and a clean sheet, pretty happy day altogether. 

16898D29-BAAA-4993-893E-B38895259068.jpeg

EDIT - forgot to add, the officials were poor. The linesman on this near side looked to take his cue from the ref every time, the NML booking (not seen a replay so could be mistaken) didn’t look like a foul, their bloke span away from NML and hit the deck but the linesman said nothing to the ref despite his clear view. They gave a foul for NML after a great run in which their lb had tried to violently undress the lad the whole way, however the “foul” in truth looked more like NML took out the lb, maybe it was for what had gone before? They just seemed soft and inconsistent throughout, for both sides. 

Glad you upgraded. Not all outlets go as high as rat in their quality control 😊

50 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Their number 15 was the tricky left winger who came on as sub, he wasn’t a striker. Unless my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. 

Yes indeed, I just kind of lumped him in as forward/attacking player. 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Ok it’s obvious that Rooney and Tompson changed the dynamic of our side yesterday so why did the manager not bother to play them in pre season ? My assumption is that he so fixed on his pre conceived viewpoints he can’t see what’s best for the players we have.

Is this the Thompson who played nearly every minute of pre-season or another one?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Think you're being generous to pw there mate.

All of the players listed who have had "good" performances today are not his signings.

We've got a couple of "results" but yet to see any truly convincing performances.

He's had to move away from his favoured system and tactics.

Right at this moment, it's very difficult to see anything that Paul warne has done to improve us.

But on we go. It may just be a metre away from clicking I guess.

Thought Nelson had a good game 

Reason to be cheerful: comparing 4 league results this season with equivalent results vs. those teams (or replacement) from last season, we're actually up 1 point! 😉

H) WIGAN 0pts            [last year H) SHEFF WED 1pt]     -1

a) Burton 3 pts            [last year a) Burton 1pt]               +2

H) OXFORD 0pts         [last year H) OXFORD 3pts]        -3

H) FLEETWOOD 3pts  [last year H) FLEETWOOD 0pts]  +3

Net points difference +1

Well, it's one way of looking at it!

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Unless you consider we should be having 99 percent possession and steamroller every team at home. Which is all about expectations again. 

Ah, the hackneyed, old binary proposition, replete with a sly dig and a bit of straw man fallacy thrown in for good measure. Your premise; anyone not sharing your view is expecting 99% possession and for us to steamroller every team we play. Ergo, they need to adjust their expectations.

That's your considered opinion, is it?

DMO

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

He didn’t play in midfield did he?

As I recall he mostly filled in at LWB because Elder wasn't fit and apparently PW didn't think Fozzie would be the best option for his replacement.

(That is a separate issue of course!)

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ah, the hackneyed, old binary proposition, replete with a sly dig and a bit of straw man fallacy thrown in for good measure. Your premise; anyone not sharing your view is expecting 99% possession and for us to steamroller every team we play. Ergo, they need to adjust their expectations.

That's your considered opinion, is it?

DMO

I actually had to look up what DMO meant on urban dictionary.

Not sure how you've made the connection with me participating in the lgbtq+ though. 

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, the question should rather be why Warne subsequently ignored his good form as soon as it came to the League games? 

Based on yesterday’s performance he has to start him next week right? He brings energy and dynamism that’s lacking. If everyone was fit I’d prefer Thompson in that more advanced role with Bird and Hourihane the deeper pairing in midfield. I think I saw it suggested on another thread that Thommo is potentially a “readymade” replacement for what Knight offered, they’re not exactly the same time of player but the running and energetic elements of their games are comparable.
Get someone more mobile in alongside Hourihane and stick with Thommo please Warney.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I actually had to look up what DMO meant on urban dictionary.

Not sure how you've made the connection with me participating in the lgbtq+ though. 

I haven't, you fool.

Drop
Me
Out

Another steaming hot take on your part.

Any other assumptions you'd like to make about fellow fans?

Not sure if I'm speaking out of turn here, and this is not aimed at any specific poster or comment, but my thoughts are that if any manager... in any industry... bailed on his/her beliefs each and every time someone poo-poo'd such beliefs... well, they wouldn't be much of a manager would they! 🙄
Changing tack is brave, if it's done at the right time (and in the right way).  Changing tack at the merest hint of discontent (be that from staff, players, strangers on an internet forum, or senior management) is weak, to say the least.
My opinion then, is that it is unfair to criticise PW for sticking to his beliefs.  That's what he gets paid for, and that's what he lives and dies by (professionally speaking).

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure if I'm speaking out of turn here, and this is not aimed at any specific poster or comment, but my thoughts are that if any manager... in any industry... bailed on his/her beliefs each and every time someone poo-poo'd such beliefs... well, they wouldn't be much of a manager would they! 🙄
Changing tack is brave, if it's done at the right time (and in the right way).  Changing tack at the merest hint of discontent (be that from staff, players, strangers on an internet forum, or senior management) is weak, to say the least.
My opinion then, is that it is unfair to criticise PW for sticking to his beliefs.  That's what he gets paid for, and that's what he lives and dies by (professionally speaking).

Indeed good managers/leaders adapt as needed. PW was brave to do so first half and it paid off as did bringing on SB when things were tense and edgy to see out the win. He changed things at the right time and got the result. Its then his decision quite rightly if he thinks starting Collins and a back 3 is the correct call v "Posh". 

10 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Balls to Sky

The highlights confirm my observations and feelings walking away from the ground yesterday, and driving home, and this morning. It was an improved performance, there was some good football at times, Thompson was everywhere, Washington, Waggy and NML look dangerous, Nelson, Rooney, Cashin and Foz were solid at the back, there were still some nervy moments, and Smith and Hourihane run in treacle 😂 

I’m half joking about Hourihane and Smith, who I think gets a unfair bit of dismissive comment at times, I think he does a solid enough if unspectacular job for the team. Good squad/bench option if we can get a younger, more mobile upgrade.