Derby vs Fleetwood - Match Thread

Rampant

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Consider me part of the Curtis Nelson Fan Club, thought he’s been steady so far but was excellent today. Won everything in the box and got some important interceptions in. He was my motm tbh…

Completely agree. One awful moment against Oxford aside, he has been very good defensively and rock solid today. As long as we don't ask him to do things he can't do, he should be fine. A close second to Thompson for me today.

49 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

jump-out-window.gif

I’m not sure how being balanced is suicidal? 

Like yeah it was a huge improvement on Tuesday but the issues I listed were still present. 

Do you believe it was a good performance today? If so what made it good for you? 

I’m not stubborn, I’ll listen and see if I can see where you’re coming from.

For me it was just a better version of the same pitfalls. 

I fully expect Warne to be given the season unless we’re in the relegation zone so I’ve accepted a manager change won’t happen. I want us to improve and I’m desperate to see shoots of recovery. I want to be optimistic and excited by us. I don’t want to be a downer…

Well, the performance improved from appalling to mediocre and we held on at home against Fleetwood who hit the woodwork twice.

I guess it's 3 points and the players looked a little happier, despite running on empty the last 15 mins.

Having a week off now will help with recovery and hopefully getting a couple of bodies in. 

A good 3 points given recent results.  Solid 1st half and should have had more.  Tense 2nd half but I think that’s to be expected.  When you’ve come off the back of 3 home defeats, including the cup, the players are bound to be nervy and will naturally drop a few yards back to protect what they have as the game goes on.  It was never going to be pretty but get a few good results and performances will take care of themselves as confidence improves.  If it wasn’t for individual errors we could have 3 or 4 more points.

Positives: 

Rooney looked so composed. How we’ve ended up with him in our under 21s is some recruitment/luck. Will be a very solid player. 

Nelson looked a lot more comfortable. 

Forsyth looked very good again. 

Thompson aside from his stupid unnecessary booking had a blinder. Making it hard for Warne to drop him. A good performance. 

NML out wide is so so much more of a threat than NML down the middle. In the first half he was always an option. Second half looked dead on his feet - Barkhuizen on the bench to replace him will be a big plus to the squad if we continue to play with proper width. 

Waghorn is one of the most technically gifted forwards in this league. Absurd that there were fans who didn’t want him back. It was never about nostalgia it was about seeing him doing things our other forwards can’t. 

First half was pretty decent, 2nd half we looked very leggy which meant Fleetwood had more of ghe ball but I didnt think we ever looked in great danger.

Waggy & Washington looked a decent pairing, Thommo added alot of energy, Rooney was composed & as we all know NML looks a threat on the right. Our back 4 looked pretty solid & more composed.

The players ran their socks off on a very hot & humid day, other than Rooney coming off all the subs made sense to me. NML could have done woth coming off but I can see why he didnt. Warne had to make changes due to players being knackered, when you look at the bench only 2 players were attackers which he brought on to try & freshen it up. Going to a back 3/5 was understandle for 2 reasons....they were the only subs available to use really & Fleetwood were always going to go for it in the last 10mins or so.

As Warne said post match, we need pace & 'legs' in midfield, seems like he wants 2 centre mids in, a RWB and a forward.

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

First half was pretty decent, 2nd half we looked very leggy which meant Fleetwood had more of ghe ball but I didnt think we ever looked in great danger.

Waggy & Washington looked a decent pairing, Thommo added alot of energy, Rooney was composed & as we all know NML looks a threat on the right. Our back 4 looked pretty solid & more composed.

The players ran their socks off on a very hot & humid day, other than Rooney coming off all the subs made sense to me. NML could have done woth coming off but I can see why he didnt. Warne had to make changes due to players being knackered, when you look at the bench only 2 players were attackers which he brought on to try & freshen it up. Going to a back 3/5 was understandle for 2 reasons....they were the only subs available to use really & Fleetwood were always going to go for it in the last 10mins or so.

As Warne said post match, we need pace & 'legs' in midfield, seems like he wants 2 centre mids in, a RWB and a forward.

Did Fleetwood have any players worth having ? - I always thought their Rooney was decent player at this level.

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Positives: 

Rooney looked so composed. How we’ve ended up with him in our under 21s is some recruitment/luck. Will be a very solid player. 

Nelson looked a lot more comfortable. 

Forsyth looked very good again. 

Thompson aside from his stupid unnecessary booking had a blinder. Making it hard for Warne to drop him. A good performance. 

NML out wide is so so much more of a threat than NML down the middle. In the first half he was always an option. Second half looked dead on his feet - Barkhuizen on the bench to replace him will be a big plus to the squad if we continue to play with proper width. 

Waghorn is one of the most technically gifted forwards in this league. Absurd that there were fans who didn’t want him back. It was never about nostalgia it was about seeing him doing things our other forwards can’t. 

Yes to all that except how is it "absurd" that there were fans "who didn't want him (Waggy) back"? It's just opinions and most fans thinking/saying "I'll pass, thanks" surely were of the view that there were better/cheaper/younger/different-style options out there, which is very different to "I do not want Waghorn back at this club" as if it's something personal or he's got absolutely nothing to offer. Whether or not they were right is another issue. Personally I was happy to have Waggy back but more than anything because I was starting to get a stick-or-twist mentality re the market, and thinking we probably weren't on the verge of a better option, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

So pleased we won, was it perfect no, but i did prefer goung back to 4 at the back, thought Nelson looked better in a 4, thought Rooney was good an till he ran out of steam, Forsyth good as well, Tommo ran all game, Waghorn did weel NML, looked a danger and Conor put some good balls, and a great challenge in the run up to Waghorns goal, thought we did just enough, so will enjoy a few single nalt Whiskys tonight. 

Also looking forward to my first away game of the season next week, away to the Posh, hope I am smiling at 5,05PM next week as we get another 3 points. 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Weird PW interview. Like at a different game

Totally agree.

Didn't completely agree with his assessment of the game either but tbh it was more his tone which I thought was rather odd.

Can't quite put my finger on it - but his overall mood seemed strangely out of context with the game and not in keeping with how the situation is in general. Just kinda weird.

Edited by Chester40

29 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’m not sure how being balanced is suicidal? 

Like yeah it was a huge improvement on Tuesday but the issues I listed were still present. 

Do you believe it was a good performance today? If so what made it good for you? 

I’m not stubborn, I’ll listen and see if I can see where you’re coming from.

For me it was just a better version of the same pitfalls. 

I fully expect Warne to be given the season unless we’re in the relegation zone so I’ve accepted a manager change won’t happen. I want us to improve and I’m desperate to see shoots of recovery. I want to be optimistic and excited by us. I don’t want to be a downer…

I didn't look beyond today getting the first home win of the season under our belts and the first clean sheet at the same time too. 

That'll do me for tonight. Baby steps. 

Edited by Tyler Durden
First home clean sheet before I get jumped on

Thompson had another good game, happy to be proved wrong on this. Looks so much more positive than last year. Legs and energy really what we needed.

rooney steady again

mendez-laing so much better wide

cashin much improved too

much happier today, think balance of side looked better. Looked like round pegs in round holes for a change.

dropped back too much later on, wonder how much of it was fitness related.

happy with the win, warnes interview was a bit odd though.

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So Waghorn in the third division is a decent option then? 
Also helps that he didn’t cost £5 million as well.

I’ll say this reluctantly but I think he may have that something we saw with McGoldrick last season where he’s got that extra bit of quality when hitting a ball into the goal that most strikers don’t quite have in this league. Let’s not have him chasing around looking lost and have him making slave for himself in the box being in the right place and he will strike the ball as clean as anyone. His strike on Tuesday went a bit unnoticed but it was a sweet strike that would beat most keepers in any league, and todays was just a good confident finish. The type we didn’t see after his first season under Lampard. 

He won’t reach the numbers McGoldrick did, but I’m more assured in him than I was a few weeks ago. Him and Collins wouldnt work which is maybe the biggest issue right now up front.

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Totally agree.

Didn't completely agree with his assessment of the game either but tbh it was more his tone which I thought was rather odd.

Can't quite put my finger on it - but his overall mood seemed strangely out of context with the game and not in keeping with how the situation is in general. Just kinda weird.

Yeah, felt most of the fans seemed happy and a bit relieved to get a win. Played ok but not amazing.

he seemed to be negative on things, didn’t seem to want to credit the system change. 

he also makes signing a player sound the most complicated process ever, every other club manages it! And a few jokes of sorts thrown in for no real reason.