James Collins

Keepyuppy

2 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

i have never been a fan of collins, and always considered him low quality,but the way he has progressed his game this season has made him one of the first names on the team sheet,and you have to be impressed with what he is doing.collins at this moment in time is possibly the fittest,hardest worker in the side,and scoring regularly. Long may it continue.we do however need some pace and power up front,but maybe to partner rather than replace at the moment

Yep. There’s no doubting his effort but I’ve always seen him as ineffective as a goal threat. Playing with NML and Wilson seems to have transformed him.

Bravo James!

20 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

Don't mind me, just chowing down on some good old fashioned humble pie.

Must be something in the water round here. 

Loved him at Luton .. have been disappointed but ladies and gentleman we have a new number 9 in the house. That hat trick against Wolves U21s did him the world of good. 

improving  performances ever since. Well done JC.

he loves scoring.

James Steven Collins.

He’s better than Phil, Michael, Bootsy, Wilkie, Judy, Joan, Jackie, Susan, Francis, Eddie, David, Buddy, Albert, Edwyn, Shirley, Doug, Peter, Billy, J.Lawton, Stephen, Kim, Suzanne and if you rolled all of them up with the many posters on here into one, to try and create a football player to compete with him, that even criticise him for been a bit grumpy in his interviews, and any other tosh, they can try to criticise someone that plays for the club they support with, and I think you might get my jist, if not well shaddap ya face!

Super James Collins 🐏

18 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I don’t get the criticism of Collins.  We’re halfway through and he’s got 11 league goals, 16 in all comps so heading for 20+.  Maybe 20 in the league.  And he works so hard, even when it’s not going for him.  I’d start him every game.

I do, It's that some supporters don't see the bigger picture, He's missed a few "sitters" but who hasn't, A scape goat when things don't go right on the pitch and a loss or draw was the final result Collins is an easy target, McGoldrick was a hard act to follow, But followed...Collins has, The contribution of others is also a fact that Collins is now looking good.

A player that gives his all on the pitch 👍☺️

Had stuck up for Collins for large periods knowing his previous goal scoring exploits but, gave up on him 2 months ago. The fact that the other strikers were unavailable has played a part because he knew he would be starting. Never questioned his work rate, aggression from the front or overall effort regarding the team but he was missing good chances in tight games. The fact that Derby are creating more and playing better football with more control allows Collins to settle more into games and not snatch at every goal opportunity. He has proved many people wrong and hope he continues to do so. Well done James. 

This is an interesting article. Collins is ahead of where McGoldrick was at this stage last season. Honestly baffles me the stick he gets, yesterday he was everywhere working hard for the team. 16 goals so far.

James Collins: Derby County striker wants 'plenty more goals' in promotion push https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67892756

Edited by WystonRam

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Yep. There’s no doubting his effort but I’ve always seen him as ineffective as a goal threat. Playing with NML and Wilson seems to have transformed him.

Bravo James!

His service has been woeful though for a long time and he's been dining on hopeful crosses lumped in to the box. Most of the time competing with both centre halves because we dont have the midfield legs to get in to the box and support. Now we are getting a bit more quality in there with Wilson supporting you are seing a return.

The misses weren’t the problem for me. At least they showed he was capable of being in the right areas on occasions.

The major problem was despite his effort, he was always too busy doing something other than being where we needed him……..in the penalty area!

He has improved this and is now doing much better as a result. He still has a habit of hiding behind defenders when we’re in good positions, but at least he’s actually in the dangerous areas now and getting chances/ goals.

At the start of the season in one of the threads, I had him down for 15 league goals, but back in Oct and Nov he looked like he had no idea to get into good positions and was more intent on handbags with a player outside the box, while we were putting a decent ball in an area he should have been.

Put short, despite the effort, he wasn’t doing his job properly and that’s what frustrated people.

He’s a decent player at this level and although we need another striker, he would remain a decent rotation option until we get out of this league.

As an aside, I do really wish he’d stop this silly deliberate hand ball business when we put dangerous crosses in!

Edited by Ramarena

On 06/01/2024 at 16:52, FlyBritishMidland said:

I don’t get the criticism of Collins.  We’re halfway through and he’s got 11 league goals, 16 in all comps so heading for 20+.  Maybe 20 in the league.  And he works so hard, even when it’s not going for him.  I’d start him every game.

I'd start all of them in every game.

But then I am Paul Warne...

😉

12 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Bravo James!

Agreed, definite improvement in recent months and now looking a really decent and effective L1 striker. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

Not a bad call, 18 so far ?

Worth noting the 5 against kids teams and the 4 penalties (3 + a rebound from a miss) but it does has to be said that he keeps turning up. We would be up a creek without a paddle without his durability and availability, that is for sure. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Worth noting the 5 against kids teams and the 4 penalties (3 + a rebound from a miss) but it does has to be said that he keeps turning up. We would be up a creek without a paddle without his durability and availability, that is for sure. 

I’ll never get this, do penalty goals not count? Someone might want to tell Shearer’s, Rooney’s, Ronaldo’s, Kane’s of the world to adjust their tallies.

He still has to step up, stay composed, and score it. 
Agree with your other points, just don’t get the general notion raised sometimes that penalties are somehow not valid. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Come on your being over generous, surely there must be few in there too that were just plain lucky 🤷🏻‍♂️,

the man is a bloody hero in a rams shirt this season , a few more like him in the team and we would walk promotion 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’ll never get this, do penalty goals not count? Someone might want to tell Shearer’s, Rooney’s, Ronaldo’s, Kane’s of the world to adjust their tallies.

He still has to step up, stay composed, and score it. 
Agree with your other points, just don’t get the general notion raised sometimes that penalties are somehow not valid. 

I kind of agree but then I look at Kane's record for England. A third of his goals have come from the penalty spot. It doesn't quite feel the same as goals scored from open play - but still not easy and just as important.

That's not to take anything away from Collins. He's our top scorer (with and without penalties isn't he?) and a lot of his hard work goes un-noticed by some.

Edited by Tamworthram

2 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Excellent performance from Collo yet again today, sheer hard work, some superb defensive headers and a brilliant goal , where would we be without him

Top of the table?

Because without him we wouldn't be scoring, we wouldn't be as high in the table, Clowes may have been pressured into sacking Warne, a new manager comes in, a new striker is signed, he scores more than Collins, we are top.

Simple 😉

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Top of the table?

Because without him we wouldn't be scoring, we wouldn't be as high in the table, Clowes may have been pressured into sacking Warne, a new manager comes in, a new striker is signed, he scores more than Collins, we are top.

Simple 😉

Seriously youth, give it a rest, you're ruining this forum. Even the guy that created it and runs it can't bear to come on here after a game, and that's the doing of you and your ilk. If it was down to me, you'd have been banned by now because you just come across like a Forest troll, and they make my teeth itch.