James Collins

Keepyuppy

I'm not even a Collins hater and I'd say there's no chance of that happening. he may hit 15 tops (which shouldn't be sniffed at). Also think Collins goal contribution may be determined by who else Warne brings in, if we bring in a marquee signing then Collins might not get much of a sniff. If we bring in another Washington type striker then it'll be a case of who has the better season and he might end up being our number 1 striker.

But ultimately with McGoldrick leaving and with us having ambitions of top 2, everyone including NML, Barks etc will need to step up. 

Edited by TomTom92

I don’t think we’ll have anybody hit 20 goals this season, I think with the way we’ll play, with more round pegs in round holes, will naturally lead to the goals being shared around a lot more. That’ll be much more beneficial too.

I’d like to see us play 3-4-2-1, with two attacking midfielders supporting a focal attacking threat. We will be direct, although not long ball. Getting the ball and players up the pitch quickly, overloading crosses and flooding the box will mean that the ball should fall to different players who can finish off chances. It’s not just going to be a case of try and find James Collins every time.

If we played with 3 attacking players, I’d rather the three of them contribute 30 goals, than an individual player scoring 35 on his own. Spreading the goals means less reliance on an individual, it makes it harder for teams to nullify and should bring better results.

As good as McGoldrick was, our over reliance on him helped go towards finishing outside the play-offs. Teams pretty much had to cut him off and we were stuck. If Collins just became the new McGoldrick in a different form, we’d suffer the same problems.

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

If he'd played every minute in the league of last season, he would have scored 18 (at the rate he was scoring at).  So him scoring 20 is not beyond crazy, if we're playing more to his strengths this year.

(Obviously over-simplistic stat is over-simplistic etc etc.)

Yeah, that stat is a bit overly simplistic.

Main problem for me, and you could already see that at Matlock, is he really struggles whenever he gets involved in the build up. Has a touch of teflon, isn't fast, can't dribble and can't really pass either. Fantastic when he's the man on the end of the move, but the move oven goes to hell whenever he's involved earlier in it.

Fundamentally, we either need someone better (ideally, IMO) or we need to find a way of playing which means he basically rarely touches the ball unless it's a shot.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Yeah, that stat is a bit overly simplistic.

Main problem for me, and you could already see that at Matlock, is he really struggles whenever he gets involved in the build up. Has a touch of teflon, isn't fast, can't dribble and can't really pass either. Fantastic when he's the man on the end of the move, but the move oven goes to hell whenever he's involved earlier in it.

Fundamentally, we either need someone better (ideally, IMO) or we need to find a way of playing which means he basically rarely touches the ball unless it's a shot.

I think that's what Warne wants though.  I think he basically just wants us putting *loads* of balls into the box (crosses/passes/whatever) and hoping that if you do it often enough, something will happen.

He's openly talked about expecting Collins doing well for him, because his teams put a lot of crosses in.  He's criticised forwards for coming out wide to link up, instead of staying central to get on the end of things etc.

29 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don’t think we’ll have anybody hit 20 goals this season, I think with the way we’ll play, with more round pegs in round holes, will naturally lead to the goals being shared around a lot more. That’ll be much more beneficial too.

I’d like to see us play 3-4-2-1, with two attacking midfielders supporting a focal attacking threat. We will be direct, although not long ball. Getting the ball and players up the pitch quickly, overloading crosses and flooding the box will mean that the ball should fall to different players who can finish off chances. It’s not just going to be a case of try and find James Collins every time.

If we played with 3 attacking players, I’d rather the three of them contribute 30 goals, than an individual player scoring 35 on his own. Spreading the goals means less reliance on an individual, it makes it harder for teams to nullify and should bring better results.

As good as McGoldrick was, our over reliance on him helped go towards finishing outside the play-offs. Teams pretty much had to cut him off and we were stuck. If Collins just became the new McGoldrick in a different form, we’d suffer the same problems.

Three scoring 30 or one scoring 35………..

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

1 hour ago, Keepyuppy said:

I fully expect to be ridiculed, but I stand by my prediction that Collins will comfortably score 20+ goals this season !! 
The future’s bright, the futures Black & White !! 🐏🤗

Is that League goals? Be very surprised.

4 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Three scoring 30 or one scoring 35………..

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Yes, as in three scoring 30 collectively, not each. That would be more successful than one striker scoring 35 and the others contributing nothing.

More goals doesn’t necessarily mean more points. If we have a more equal spread, there’s less reliance on one player, makes it harder for the opposition to nullify threats and would bring more consistency in results.

It’s all well and good having a striker score a hattrick in a 5-0 win, but if you lose the next one 1-0 because that same striker wasn’t effective then you run in to problems.

46 minutes ago, Rampant said:

How many league one goals not including penalties will he score is the way I look at it. If he gets 20 I'd be pleasantly surprised.

I’m not sure I understand this logic. If he scores he scores whether that’s from the spot or from open play they all count.

Didsy had 4 penalties in his 22 goals. They all count 👌🏻

Edited by Dava75

1 hour ago, Keepyuppy said:

I fully expect to be ridiculed, but I stand by my prediction that Collins will comfortably score 20+ goals this season !! 
The future’s bright, the futures Black & White !! 🐏🤗

Not resting him v Notts County then? 😂😜