James Collins

Keepyuppy

2 hours ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Collins record in this division has put him on a pedestal but his last 20 goal haul, which seems to be the metric for judgment, was 2018/19. He's a big unit and has played a lot of football during his career so it's not a surprise he's not quite the JC of a few years ago. A few people have said he's the consumate pro who gives everything which is clear so we can't expect much more 

As said, I'm not looking to bash Collins, and only reignited the thread based on one thing he does (too much!)

But when you say we can't expect much more - do you mean we can't expect much more from James Collins, or we can't expect much more from those at the club with the responsibility and opportunity to sign/select/coach a centre forward at this level? (Or something else?)

18 hours ago, jameso said:

As said, I'm not looking to bash Collins, and only reignited the thread based on one thing he does (too much!)

But when you say we can't expect much more - do you mean we can't expect much more from James Collins, or we can't expect much more from those at the club with the responsibility and opportunity to sign/select/coach a centre forward at this level? (Or something else?)

James Collins

16 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

The service Collins gets is crap though and he spends most the game chasing nothing balls and closing down passes. He could do more with some chances but if he was that clinical he wouldn't be in league one. Telegraphed crosses that centre backs can read all day isn't going to cut it for him to get a big tally.

I agree that sometimes the service he gets isn't great, but he has to take some responsibility for that as his positioning where they can find him is also appalling, as is his movement in front of goal.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 13:46, bcnram said:

I agree that sometimes the service he gets isn't great, but he has to take some responsibility for that as his positioning where they can find him is also appalling, as is his movement in front of goal.

We have all given Collins stick at some time or another but 5 goals in 2 games shows his character. Some of those 5 have been from close range but could he be the 25 goal striker we all want to see ?

39 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have all given Collins stick at some time or another but 5 goals in 2 games shows his character. Some of those 5 have been from close range but could he be the 25 goal striker we all want to see ?

I don't particularly care where he scores them from or against who. I am impressed that he was between the posts to score the two tap ins and the brilliant headed goal. I will be delighted if he ends up with 18-20 let alone 25.

His best performance for us today.

He had his way with the Barnsley centre backs, particular their number 6 who was undersized, and made the most of it. He showed a couple of nice first touches and lay offs, which have often been off previously. He even managed to avoid too many nonsense fouls that alleviated pressure, which was great to see. 

More of this and there maybe a role for him still. Need to see it again. 

His 2 today put him on 10 goals in all competitions this season (7 in the league and 3 in the whatever they call it trophy), he scored 12 in all competitions last season so already looks to be close to matching or bettering that tally with plenty of football left to play. 
I’ll keep saying it, while he has some limitations to his game (hence plying his trade in league one), he is a former international who has scored over 200 career goals, he will continue playing a part for Derby County as long as he is here and I’m quite glad of it.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

His 2 today put him on 10 goals in all competitions this season (7 in the league and 3 in the whatever they call it trophy), he scored 12 in all competitions last season so already looks to be close to matching or bettering that tally with plenty of football left to play. 
I’ll keep saying it, while he has some limitations to his game (hence plying his trade in league one), he is a former international who has scored over 200 career goals, he will continue playing a part for Derby County as long as he is here and I’m quite glad of it.

I also feel more confident when we win a penalty.

Like I said before he may not be a world beater but his service at times has been dire. When he came on at Crewe as I was right down close to the pitch he was screaming at the wingers to put the crosses in low. Immediately after that he had his dissalowed goal but goes to show if we actually play to our strengths we'll win games.

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

A yellow card that should not have been given. Cash should have had one but got away with it.

They also had a guy that got in the linesman’s face second half who wasn’t book, ironically for doing a lot worse than what Forsyth got booked for. They also gave away a free kick for a dive which also oddly didn’t get a yellow card. 

Yesterday's success is simply down to Collins discovering where the penalty area is, and that it is where he lives. He is not a guest or a visitor, its his place!

We saw glimpses of it in pre-season matches, and now it is happening in reality. And suddenly the goals are flowing - funny how that happens. Long may it continue!

Edited by DavesaRam

On 11/11/2023 at 20:13, RIMBAUD said:

I thought he was brilliant today. In both boxes. I even enjoyed his yellow card. 

His all round performance was even more impressive, when you take into account his very early yellow card. 

He could have either lost his head and got a second yellow or just drift out of the game altogether in order to avoid a second yellow. But, with no senior replacement on the bench, he took responsibility and got stuck in and had one of his best games for the club.

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

His all round performance was even more impressive, when you take into account his very early yellow card. 

He could have either lost his head and got a second yellow or just drift out of the game altogether in order to avoid a second yellow. But, with no senior replacement on the bench, he took responsibility and got stuck in and had one of his best games for the club.

Maybe having to think about that helped him rein in his over-combatative instinct? 

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Just shows what effect confidence and the support of the fans can do. Any player being slagged off by the fans is terrible in my opinion.

Too true, many times I complain about individual players performances, but only in private with close friends, I never put it in the public domain as I can't see any positive in doing so, but I can see plenty of negatives.

Yes, I know it's a forum and that's the place to air our views, but some of the negativity towards some of our players, can only do harm to the overall team spirit. Even the supporters can get affected by it, if you're constantly reading how rubbish xxxx is playing, you can't but help to scrutinise his play more. I've seen it time and again over the years, whereby a fans' favourite will make mistakes and get away with it, but a 'booboy' gets hammered after his first mistake.

Confidence plays a major part in any sport, including football, the media and social media can play a big part in destroying a player and/or team's confidence.

58 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Just shows what effect confidence and the support of the fans can do. Any player being slagged off by the fans is terrible in my opinion.

I don’t think the fans have been unsupportive in previous games. Not in the stadium anyway and I find it hard to believe that the players, especially the senior ones of which there were many on Saturday, allow social media comments to affect them that much.

I think it was down to players being on their game (I can’t recall any horrendous errors) and a more effective high energy in their faces tactical approach. Add to that the fact that Barnsley, who must have been high on confidence, tried to play which means we didn’t have to spend most of the game trying to find a way to break down a solid defensive block.