James Collins

Keepyuppy

3 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Watch a game on telly and you may not think much of Collins.

Watch Collins live and you'll see someone who gives his all and makes loads of very decent runs that generally don't get noticed by team mates. He may have the odd strop when he doesn't get played in but it doesn't stop him making those runs.

With Joe Ward's crossing, someone half as good at LWB and possibly Bird or Hourihane playing more advanced, I think he'll bag 20+ this year.

Delighted he scored last night.

I watched it live but saw the highlights when I got back.

Here's a freeze frame BEFORE Joe Ward receives the ball.

The player with his arm in the air is the 'useless, unintelligent, lazy etc etc' Collins.......halfway through a 40 yard run, anticipating play, showing where he wants the ball........towards the end of a pre-season friendly 'that doesn't matter'. How many times does he do this and not get the delivery?

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 10.16.42.png

Brilliant stuff mate no one can say Collins doesn’t give 100 per cent 

he’s good enough for L1 and he’ll get 20 this season 

I've got a feeling he'll have a good season and score more than expected. He's not a great techical footballer but will put himself in the right areas to get on the end of crosses. The two Ward crosses he put away have been top notch.

He should watch some videos of Shearer, he too often sems to end up in a wrestling match with his defender, he needs to look at Shearers fouling technique and make some space for himself by shoving the defender while the ball is about to be crossed and no one is watching.

I also think Collins is capable of 20 goals if we get the delivery right into the box, also works very hard, but we need at least 3 forwards, i would prefer 4, so we can mix it up, and it will push all the forwards on, having competition in the squad is a good thing, so hope to see another forward signed soon. 

On 21/07/2023 at 00:52, DerbyAleMan said:

I also think Collins is capable of 20 goals if we get the delivery right into the box, also works very hard, but we need at least 3 forwards, i would prefer 4, so we can mix it up, and it will push all the forwards on, having competition in the squad is a good thing, so hope to see another forward signed soon. 

Step up Mystic Meg!

Great header from Collins.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He is starting to get into a habit of scoring goals, 2 with his head too.

Never a bad habit to get into.

Let's hope this carries on into the season.

Still wouldn't be good enough for some. Makes you wonder what he would need to do to win some people round.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Still wouldn't be good enough for some. Makes you wonder what he would need to do to win some people round.

Only one person who doesn't seem to care what he does and will hold their negative opinion tbf

I'm sure 99.9% of people will be 'won round' when he scored goals in matches that count toward a points total.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He is starting to get into a habit of scoring goals, 2 with his head too.

Never a bad habit to get into.

Let's hope this carries on into the season.

This is important because at the start of last season he was getting into all the right positions but just couldn’t finish it off. Think he was trying too hard which didn’t help composure in scoring chances. 

Don’t think much has changed in all honesty. Fact is, he can get goals when in that 18 yard box. The problem arises when he gets involved in the build up outside the box. Type of player that should touch the ball 4 times a game - 3 1 touch finishes for a hat trick and another from a kick off. If we can find a way to play with him not being involved in the build up, we will be golden. 

Edited by Srg

47 minutes ago, Srg said:

Don’t think much has changed in all honesty. Fact is, he can get goals when in that 18 yard box. The problem arises when he gets involved in the build up outside the box. Type of player that should touch the ball 4 times a game - 3 1 touch finishes for a hat trick and another from a kick off. If we can find a way to play with him not being involved in the build up, we will be golden. 

I assume that’s why we’re playing 2 up front, Collins role is to be in the right area at the right time.

Fantastic header today 👌🏻

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

My biggest worry now with Collins is that the Saudis will surely be looking to snap him up. We'll be lucky to hold onto him.

I can just see it now, we finally do a player swap, Collins joins Al Ittihad and we end up with this fella at number 9.

Excited Run GIF by TLC

Looks a bit like Connor Sammon at full gallop.

On 20/07/2023 at 01:01, RoyMac5 said:

Unless he reads this forum he's not likely to notice and even if he does read this forum I expect he doesn't care about my opinion. I can only speak for my own posts in this case and he's a poor footballer who brings little to the squad, but if he scores a shedload of goals then he's earning his money. 😄

Most don't care about your opinion