James Collins

Keepyuppy

I think we saw JC's value to the side against Stevenage with his enforced absence. He will be missed. We are looking at Dwight Gayle for the last 13 games... at 5'9" is he the back to goal, hold up player we need or would his arrival mean a change of strategy?

I know too little of the guy to pass comment, hopefully some of you are more up to date with his play...

6 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I think we saw JC's value to the side against Stevenage with his enforced absence. He will be missed. We are looking at Dwight Gayle for the last 13 games... at 5'9" is he the back to goal, hold up player we need or would his arrival mean a change of strategy?

I know too little of the guy to pass comment, hopefully some of you are more up to date with his play...

A lot more rounded than some we have had, an I don't mean rotund! Can play on the shoulder, retain the ball, gets on the end of crosses too, with feet and head despite not being tall. A lot of technical ability and can take a free kick. He's a pretty complete striker we just need to find out whether he's match ready. I'd hope so, not that there was a huge array of choice, were he not.

I'm pretty excited to see him play as I think this is a significant class drop for him and I think he'll make his own opportunities at this level, irrespective of how we set up. I'd say he's a similar player to Didzy, but with a pace edge.

He's won me over so much that I'm genuinely sad for him that he'll likely not play for us again. Don't get me wrong, he's frustrating as hell in his inconsistency in front of goal and I'm not sure he's won a flick on all season, but his fitness and work rate is the solid base we've been able to build the performances on.

Collos graft, NMLs magic and the brick wall of Cash and Nelson have been the spine of everything good we've done this year. So thank you, James Collins.

PS I'm sorry for calling you so many rude names, I am an idiot.

12 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

A lot more rounded than some we have had, an I don't mean rotund! Can play on the shoulder, retain the ball, gets on the end of crosses too, with feet and head despite not being tall. A lot of technical ability and can take a free kick. He's a pretty complete striker we just need to find out whether he's match ready. I'd hope so, not that there was a huge array of choice, were he not.

I'm pretty excited to see him play as I think this is a significant class drop for him and I think he'll make his own opportunities at this level, irrespective of how we set up. I'd say he's a similar player to Didzy, but with a pace edge.

Looking at some Stoke forums and pages, it seems like he might need a confidence boost. They say when he started there, he found the back of the net just about every game but was always pulled up for offside. They think that affected him hence his low goals per game return. Hopefully, he gets one go in off his arse 1st game and then starts to fly. Interesting to see if he's preferred over the now almost fit again Waggy.

Apparently it was Blackburns Harry Leonard who was all lined up on transfer day to boost our forward options along with Collins.

Anyway, pinched yesterday from elsewhere.

Harry Leonard has missed the last two matches through injury which was described as a 'knock' by Eustace at the weekend.

However, the striker took to Instagram to suggest he would be out for an extended period of time.

He wrote: "Gutted to hear I'm going to be out for a while. I'll do everything to come back stronger."

Eustace revealed that the young striker has suffered  back injury but he's hopeful it won't be too serious. Leonard is still set for a number of weeks on the sidelines, though.

……….funny old game football.👍🐏

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

On 16/02/2024 at 08:24, Stockport Ram said:

It could be worse. We could be talking about NML.

Fear not faithful Rams  - a little bit of “outside the box” management thinking and all will be tickety boo.

You knew about Dwight and you didn’t tell us .. spoil sport 🤪

On 20/02/2024 at 10:04, MadAmster said:

Looking at some Stoke forums and pages, it seems like he might need a confidence boost. They say when he started there, he found the back of the net just about every game but was always pulled up for offside. They think that affected him hence his low goals per game return. Hopefully, he gets one go in off his arse 1st game and then starts to fly. Interesting to see if he's preferred over the now almost fit again Waggy.

It’s an interesting thing about aging strikers .. always looking for the half yard they haven’t got any longer, Collo, Benty and others I am sure, it just happens . Get caught offside not because they are daft, just hunters instincts I suppose

17 hours ago, jono said:

It’s an interesting thing about aging strikers .. always looking for the half yard they haven’t got any longer, Collo, Benty and others I am sure, it just happens . Get caught offside not because they are daft, just hunters instincts I suppose

Here's hoping there's still some life left in the old dog.. he looked sharp in the training video the club posted...

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

Here's hoping there's still some life left in the old dog.. he looked sharp in the training video the club posted...

Collins is nothing without his physicality.
He has to be able to charge around without fear of injury. The opposition will target his injury if he comes back too soon.

I’d rather he was 100% fit before he risks a return.

19 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Apparently it was Blackburns Harry Leonard who was all lined up on transfer day to boost our forward options along with Collins.

Anyway, pinched yesterday from elsewhere.

Harry Leonard has missed the last two matches through injury which was described as a 'knock' by Eustace at the weekend.

However, the striker took to Instagram to suggest he would be out for an extended period of time.

He wrote: "Gutted to hear I'm going to be out for a while. I'll do everything to come back stronger."

Eustace revealed that the young striker has suffered  back injury but he's hopeful it won't be too serious. Leonard is still set for a number of weeks on the sidelines, though.

……….funny old game football.👍🐏

Shame, this could of been the absolute catalyst of a never-before-seen-scale full on forum meltdown if he'd come to us and got injured. Imagine all the reasons why his injury was Warne's fault.

Joking aside, it is a shame for the lad but i'm glad it's not happened whilst playing for us. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

He has to be able to charge around without fear of injury. The opposition will target his injury if he comes back too soon.

My fault, I wasn't clear in the post to which you replied. I meant Gayle. I do, however, agree with you about Collo, he will get targeted on his return but we'll hopefully, have Gayle and Waggy as well. Washington? I'm starting to doubt we'll see him again this season.

14 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

My fault, I wasn't clear in the post to which you replied. I meant Gayle. I do, however, agree with you about Collo, he will get targeted on his return but we'll hopefully, have Gayle and Waggy as well. Washington? I'm starting to doubt we'll see him again this season.

Sorry, I was just adding to your post rather than disagreeing with it😊

I think we’re more likely to see Denzel Washington in a Derby shirt than Conor!

On 23/02/2024 at 09:20, Anag Ram said:

He didn’t look too bad in the stands today. Think if we’d have won he’d have started the bounce.

Good to see him, Vickers and Jake Rooney in the away end supporting the lads.