Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

1 minute ago, robglosta said:

A cobbled together side of youth and freebies he's been handed.

But that’s the entire point. If you’re scrabbling around to put a squad together, you can’t afford to give one manager 10 games to build a squad, and then get a diametrically opposed manager in to build a completely different squad. Honestly, to suit Warne we probably need to get rid of at least Chester, Davies, Roberts, NML Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Bird, Dobbin, Thompson, McGoldrick and replace them with new players. That’s almost our entire summer transfer dealings in the bin. It’s insane.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Always someone to blame, used to be Daryl Powell and Deon Burton. Now it’s Sibbo. He was certainly better than Bird tonight. I have a free eye test voucher at Boots if you would like it ?‍?

Love Sibbo and really willing him to be our superstar but second half tonight he was incredibly disappointing - wrong decisions, bad positioning, poor control and bad final ball. Dont think he is being blamed and shouldnt be as he was one of a few with sub-par games tonight

6 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Utterly bonkers comments about Warne on here. Three promotions to his name and people writing him off after 5-6 games. A cobbled together side of youth and freebies he's been handed. Knight and Collins unavailable and little depth elsewhere. 

Multi-year plan here, no need for overreactions after losing to a team going up via the autos. 

Not just cobbled together it’s been shafted together. We’ve got youngsters playing who need to man up and we nipped down the local retirement home and picked up anybody who could walk looking at the state of tonight. I’m surprised Chester and Davies can last more than 20 minutes 

22 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I think we are all coming to the right conclusion, Paul Warne is not the right fit for this current squad of players we have. Somebody at Derby convinced Daid Clowes to bring him in and give him a 4 year contract. Clowes also stated after Warne's appointment that promotion was what he wanted this season. I stated straight away, after Warne was given the job, it was the wrong choice and I'm still convinced the club have balls up in this appointment.

When did he say that?  I don’t think he’s ever said anything publicly nor at the supporters group meeting about promotion this year, with either LR or PW in charge.

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:
26 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think we clearly struggled to get of all the players we wanted, right back being the obvious issue. But as you say, it’s very obvious that we were building towards a 433/4231 possession-based system. Literally the antithesis of the the way Warne wants us to play.

The really frustrating thing for me is that we will never have a better chance to build a team from scratch. There’s nobody here that doesn’t want to be here. There’s no leftovers from a previous managers style. We had the chance to decide exactly what we wanted to be and then go and do it. And we’ve absolutely ****ed that chance.

Nailed. Rosenior might not have been the solution, because he lacked some experience, but really we just needed to finesse our passing game, taking a few more risks when we got in the final third. I just don’t get the Warne appointment. The squad that has been assembled is not equipped to play 352 against ‘decent’ sides. Still think we might get in the playoffs, but I am not expecting too much pretty football in the months ahead.

Just does'nt make sense, the appointment of Warne. I thought Rosenior, even though classed has inexperienced was slowly getting it right. Take his last game against Wycombe, 70% poss, 26 shots and 12 on target. Warne's tactics have not produced anywhere near that in any of his games so far. He's won 2 league games, could'nt beat Mansfield or Man City U21s in the Pappa Pizza cup and lost the other league games.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

In this system? Watch the ball fly 30 yards over his head, then deal with the mess after Dobbin inevitably loses a header against a 6’3 centre half.

That's not necessarily true though.

When he does have the ball if he's not passing it to the opposition then he's just not doing anything constructive with it or wasting passes. 

Not trying to single him out but how does he get a place in the team.

Which is a semi rhetorical question as it just illustrates how poor our squad is. Which is bugger all to do with Warne. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

Wow

Can't be arsed to read all of this thread, but just wow, doesn't take long for the wrist slashing does it.

Ffs, the 1st half wasn't too bad at all, with 1 of the pundits suggesting we may go on to win the game! We have two rookies up front because of Collins stupidity, very little squad depth due to Morris stupidity and playing away at arguably the best team in the division, Warne said the other day they top 9 out of 10 of the stats they look at!

And all the comments on style, we got the ball forwards quickly in wide positions, the fact professional footballers seem incapable of putting a decent cross in is not Warnes fault. Ipswich defended well when we got around the area, but we also messed up.  

It isn't Warne fault Curtis did a sh it back pass! 

It isn't Warnes fault that the so called 'cheat code' at this level Hourihane hasn't lived up to a fraction of the hype.

Just chill out a bit, we go again on Tuesday, get behind the team and Warne and accept where we are, 4 months ago we weren't sure we would be even competing and had 5 players!

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

The ref was atrocious, heavily influenced by that t***** who got a thoroughly deserved yellow early on then spent the rest of the match in the refs ear influencing him for every decision.

The late, high challenge on Smith would be a straight red 9 times out of 10. The fact we didn't even get a free kick for it proves the ref was cheating yet again. Same when McGoldrick came on, the Ipswich CH removed his shirt, washed it, dried it, ironed it and returned it to him with a nod of approval and play on from the ref. It wasn't even in a scramble or hidden by other players, just an almost sensuous disrobing of a lover. Looks like we'll be stuck with this all season, its consistent now. Part of the EFL punishment I guess.

The reason we lost however was more to do with our lack of quality at crucial times. Half a dozen occasions in and around their box we fumbled it, miskicked it, lost composure and then the absolute shambles giving them a goal from virtually no danger.

Some of our more technical players were not on it tonight as regards first touch, awareness, football intelligence and composure. Its disappointing because we do have a few players capable of doing all those things.

Its early days and we have two winnable home games next week so a wafer thin away loss at the probable League winners will not be seen as disastrous in the cold light of day.

Come on you great big, yet thoroughly annoying Rams ?

My final thoughts for the night having watched the game on TV.

We were generally poor, Ipswich weren't great and it wasn't a good game. However, we were away from home against a team in the top two. Before the game, my hopes were high but expectations were low. So, I don't feel any more or less optimistic than I did before the game. As for Ipswich, perhaps, for all our failings, Derby should get some credit for not letting them play well.

If we fail to win our next two home games I will be feeling a lot different.

Should Curtis be criticised for that back pass? Of course but poo happens and every player makes mistakes. 

Did Barks have a bad game? Yes but not helped by being played out of position.

Am I happy with our style of play? No but let's see how the season progresses.

Do I think Warne is the right man for the job? I have no idea. I can't say I took that much notice of how Rotherham played in League 1 under his management but he certainly got the results.

Will I be there on Tuesday, next Saturday and at MK cheering them on? Of course I will

11 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

But that’s the entire point. If you’re scrabbling around to put a squad together, you can’t afford to give one manager 10 games to build a squad, and then get a diametrically opposed manager in to build a completely different squad. Honestly, to suit Warne we probably need to get rid of at least Chester, Davies, Roberts, NML Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Bird, Dobbin, Thompson, McGoldrick and replace them with new players. That’s almost our entire summer transfer dealings in the bin. It’s insane.

Maybe Clowes saw enough from rosenior to use this season as a 'free hit' for his longer term preference of a seasoned coach like Warne? It's short termism that kills football. 

6 hours ago, SKRam said:

A true classic…… White Rat from Osset. Say what you like about Yorkshire….. ok no don’t, but their beers are the best in the country. I’m stating that as a fact. Liveners before the game then post match celebration ales in Stockport. 

6B972F5D-3539-49D3-BFD6-FBF79EF459BD.jpeg

Well the suffolk ales take a bit of beating. Broadside in particular.  
And that one there’s the wrong colour 

Decent first 20 mins but thereafter thought we were poor & Ipswich not much better.

There are some things I like about our new style but probably more I dislike. We are winning more second balls & undoubtedly getting more men into the box when the ball is out wide. Unfortunately the level of intensity is having a ruinous effect on our composure on the ball, technique, passing & quality from out wide - I saw this a lot with Warne's teams at Rotherham, they often looked a much better side without the ball than with it.

Thought Sibley was very good in that first 20 mins & another good display (and penalty save) from Wildsmith but struggling for positives other than that. Yes, Evans should have been sent off & I didn't think Ipswich were at all top 2 standard but reality is we barely threatened for the last hour of that game & looked like willing runners without the ability to string more than a couple of passes together. I don't believe we have the personnel to play Warneball so you have to question the managerial strategy in forcing the team to set up that way - our centre halves are not quick enough to deal with wingers breaking on them, we don't have proper wing backs any longer & playing at 100 mph means our quality gets eroded.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am not sure we have the players to play 3 at the back when we have no natural wing backs. We need Mendez Lang and Barks offensively. I think we missed Knight tonight ?

And 2/3 of our centre halves are glacial at best. 
theres a lot of space that needs covering and not sure its either curt or chesters game tbh 

6 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Decent first 20 mins but thereafter thought we were poor & Ipswich not much better.

There are some things I like about our new style but probably more I dislike. We are winning more second balls & undoubtedly getting more men into the box when the ball is out wide. Unfortunately the level of intensity is having a ruinous effect on our composure on the ball, technique, passing & quality from out wide - I saw this a lot with Warne's teams at Rotherham, they often looked a much better side without the ball than with it.

Thought Sibley was very good in that first 20 mins & another good display (and penalty save) from Wildsmith but struggling for positives other than that. Yes, Evans should have been sent off & I didn't think Ipswich were at all top 2 standard but reality is we barely threatened for the last hour of that game & looked like willing runners without the ability to string more than a couple of passes together. I don't believe we have the personnel to play Warneball so you have to question the managerial strategy in forcing the team to set up that way - our centre halves are not quick enough to deal with wingers breaking on them, we don't have proper wing backs any longer & playing at 100 mph means our quality gets eroded.

Cashin was a clear motm for us… was generally outstanding

wildsmith is about the only other that can take much away from that with him