Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

Our quality or lack of in the final third was really damning. Got into a few promising positions first half and some in the second but then the final ball either through player skill or composure was absolutely non existent.

If the tactic is that were going to score goals by pressurising the opposition and forcing mistakes then Ipswich didn't read the script last night and other teams might not be so generous too.

The only really difference between the 2 teams is that we gifted Ipswich a goal and a penalty on silver platters whereas we huffed and puffed but they to their credit gave us nowt. We were never going to score from our own endeavours if we had played for another 90 minutes. 

Some of the comments about Warne already on here I imagine from the Rosenoir sycophants are really quite pathetic if not tediously predictable.

Obviously the novelty of winning 2 away games which we never even looked like doing under Rosenoir isn't enough for them but hey ho fill your boots lads if it makes you happy. 

3 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Oh no!

Not "Warne Out!" Already!

I thought he came with a 'Best Before' of September2026.

I think we’re all just a little frustrated that he hasn’t propelled us to the top of the league in the five minutes he’s been here

26 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Exactly. A ‘good’ manager does.

The inference in your comment is quite clear. By implication therefore Warne is  not a good manager if he does not conform to the values you've quoted.

Sorry to disappoint but both Parker and Tuchel declined the exciting opportunity to manage our club when Warne joined. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

9 hours ago, Rev said:

I didn't think tonight was so bad, against probably the best side in this league. 

Cigarette paper between them and us, we came out second best due to an individual mistake.

We had 0 shots on target. No one minds coming up short against a better side but we didn’t even ‘give it a go’ so to speak. 

That’s what made me so angry watching it. I expect us to lose games but Jesus that was the definition of aimless 

6 hours ago, sage said:

Worst passing performance by a Derby team in years. 

Generally played well without the ball and gave every effort but the lack of quality on the ball was frightening 

Totally agree.

That's what's annoying about people saying there was a ridiculous meltdown on here.

There wasn't, we couldn't pass the ball. There have been lots of games where we have been beaten more easily but not so many  intensely frustrating 'Oh ffs' moments, where basic passes just went astray, where we hopelessly misjudged what we were doing or gave the ball away needlessly.

We weren't played off the park, we were just constantly making basic errors.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Our quality or lack of in the final third was really damning. Got into a few promising positions first half and some in the second but then the final ball either through player skill or composure was absolutely non existent.

If the tactic is that were going to score goals by pressurising the opposition and forcing mistakes then Ipswich didn't read the script last night and other teams might not be so generous too.

The only really difference between the 2 teams is that we gifted Ipswich a goal and a penalty on silver platters whereas we huffed and puffed but they to their credit gave us nowt. We were never going to score from our own endeavours if we had played for another 90 minutes. 

Some of the comments about Warne already on here I imagine from the Rosenoir sycophants are really quite pathetic if not tediously predictable.

Obviously the novelty of winning 2 away games which we never even looked like doing under Rosenoir isn't enough for them but hey ho fill your boots lads if it makes you happy. 

“The only real difference” ??? We were crap. The only difference is one of the sides looked like winning and the other didn’t. 

0705D9B0-4CFB-4122-A062-99535C713582.png

3 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Have at it we got a win if only by the one goal.    Read some game report/s available on-line and maybe it wasn't El Classico or anything but two teams of once powerful stature fighting it out in some piss-ant league where neither wishes to be.     Derby County would have been maybe favorites over ourselves to finish in first place but you people need to improve if you got any chance of making it back by end of season.     Don't get me wrong i'd like to see Derby back in the Championship league but not if comes at our expense.      Think maybe the play-offs are a realistic target for you now, no disrespect but you seem to falling too far behind the leading pack.

A bumper crowd tonight, fans are coming back and Portman Road is selling out once more, as a long-suffering fan you can't dispute.

Burns took his chance well when on another night he or someone could have blown the opportunity but not sure how many further chances Jackson will be presented from a penalty decision.   

All said a tough gritty encounter between two of the actual heavyweights of the division.    Maybe it wasn't the best advert for lower league soccer but a win's a win.     Hope the traveling fans Derby took down endured a safe trip back even if you didn't get the result you wanted.    I look forward to the return at Pride Park Stadium.   

Ipswich are looking the team to beat this year but you have a settled squad and way of playing that’s been built over nearly a full calendar year now and he was backed in the transfer window to sign the players he wanted. You have the right squad balance and depth, it’s easy to see why you were preseason favourites. 

Derby on the other hand only had 5 players in June, 1 week less preseason than everyone else. We had to cobble a team together under transfer restrictions and now the new owner has assessed things we’ve changed manager and having to adapt to his style. A lot has been made of we’ve signed Hourihane and Collins and we have one of the leagues strongest squads, we are a mix of 30+ or 21 and unders, the strike force last night had not played professional football before this season and it showed. We have no depth, we actually don’t have a genuine right back at the club. But it is what it is, we nearly didn’t have a club a few months ago and we now have to work to a business plan which means we cannot spend transfer fees, which is why only Barkhuizen and Wildsmith are the only players in the 23-28 age bracket in our squad.

That being said while neither team was at their best last night there wasn’t a lot between the teams which gives me hope. First half of the season was always about staying in touch, we hope and expect to come on strong in the second half of the season, i think looking at this league we have a very good chance of playoffs, we will likely have too much ground to make up for autos. Playoffs would be reasonable for us considering where we were in preseason. Promotion would be great this season, but realistically it might take 2 years, as long as it doesn’t take 3 like you boys ?

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

“The only real difference” ??? We were crap. The only difference is one of the sides looked like winning and the other didn’t. 

Am sorry but unless you were watching a different game last night Ipswich didn't look like scoring until we contrived to gift them a goal which they scored with and the inevitable penalty which they didn't. 

Ergo they were also crap as well by your same reasoning.

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Until Davies mistake Ipswich didn’t look like winning either. I don’t know why people are saying Ipswich are the best team we’ve faced this season. They were bang average. 3 shots on target - 1 was the goal which we gifted them and 1 a penalty. They didn’t massively trouble us. Port Vale caused us more problems. We were terrible going forward, but looked likely to get a scrappy 0-0 until the mistake which I’d have taken pre game. 

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Totally agree.

That's what's annoying about people saying there was a ridiculous meltdown on here.

There wasn't, we couldn't pass the ball. There have been lots of games where we have been beaten more easily but not so many  intensely frustrating 'Oh ffs' moments, where basic passes just went astray, where we hopelessly misjudged what we were doing or gave the ball away needlessly.

We weren't played off the park, we were just constantly making basic errors.

What's really annoying is, they were pretty poor too. 

They were there for the taking last night and we fumbled every opportunity with poor passing and decision making. 

Officials...

Nothing out of the ordinary in this pi$$ poor division, Ipswich getting corners when a goal kick should be given, Offsides not given, Throw ins for who got the ball 1st, Fouls...1 a shocker missed...just another day for poor standard of officials.

The game...

We looked goodish for the 1st 10mins, Ipswich then come into the game...especially down our right, Crosses and corners causing some concern but Ipswich not making the most of it, Our passing and falling/slipping over was poor ar times, Our wingbacks aren't wingbacks...as we know, Bird and Sibley blow hot and cold from game to game, Today they were cold, Cashin comes out as MOTM for me, I'll get to Davis later, Chester OK, Dobbin and Osula negative in this game, Pace but nowt else, Smith hhmmm, Not sure about this lad not seen enough of him, Ipswich a lot of huff n puff but Wildsmith not troubled...until ?

Back to Curtis, He's had it in this division, The camara was on him a couple of times in the 1st half and he was blowing hard, Age has caught up with him, If he was as tired as it looked the back pass showed it, The pass lacked weight and pace this is what happens when legs are tired, This is not a dig at the fella, I though towards the end of last season he was struggling, Being injured and coming straight back into the team didn't seem a good idea but he's all we've got at the minute as Warne doesn't fancy Stearman in the middle.

Plymouth and Ipswich fans might think they're going to get promoted, Seen them both, Both work hard as you have to in League1 but it's a team of the fittest and strongest which they both are, We don't come close to them...not Warnes fault as building a fit player takes a good close season and having a lot of older players some not playing in a position they don't like isn't a good fit, He'll have a transfer window to improve I hope and build from there, If we can be in and around the playoffs then the 2nd half of the season could be fun...

If not, We'll beat those who are middle to bottom and struggle with those around the top, The standard of football isn't to good for me  something I expected from League1, Beggars can't be choosers tho ☹️

24 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Ipswich are looking the team to beat this year but you have a settled squad and way of playing that’s been built over nearly a full calendar year now and he was backed in the transfer window to sign the players he wanted. You have the right squad balance and depth, it’s easy to see why you were preseason favourites. 

Derby on the other hand only had 5 players in June, 1 week less preseason than everyone else. We had to cobble a team together under transfer restrictions and now the new owner has assessed things we’ve changed manager and having to adapt to his style. A lot has been made of we’ve signed Hourihane and Collins and we have one of the leagues strongest squads, we are a mix of 30+ or 21 and unders, the strike force last night had not played professional football before this season and it showed. We have no depth, we actually don’t have a genuine right back at the club. But it is what it is, we nearly didn’t have a club a few months ago and we now have to work to a business plan which means we cannot spend transfer fees, which is why only Barkhuizen and Wildsmith are the only players in the 23-28 age bracket in our squad.

That being said while neither team was at their best last night there wasn’t a lot between the teams which gives me hope. First half of the season was always about staying in touch, we hope and expect to come on strong in the second half of the season, i think looking at this league we have a very good chance of playoffs, we will likely have too much ground to make up for autos. Playoffs would be reasonable for us considering where we were in preseason. Promotion would be great this season, but realistically it might take 2 years, as long as it doesn’t take 3 like you boys ?

Probably true but only because there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of quality in the league. Let’s not forget, for all their possession and shots on target they lost to Lincoln and only won last night, against what I think most of us will agree was a poor Derby performance, 1:0 thanks to a gift wrapped goal. It’s still early days in the season and some teams (hopefully Derby) will improve as they bed in and adjust whereas Ipswich have, as you say, been building a team to do well in this division for more than a calendar year.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Same when McGoldrick came on, the Ipswich CH removed his shirt, washed it, dried it, ironed it and returned it to him with a nod of approval and play on from the ref...

This is what really riles me.

... Grown men not even knowing that today's modern football shirts simply don't need ironing!  ?

#blametheparents