Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

8 o’clock kick off on Friday 21 October, but Sky coverage is likely to start a good 45 minutes before that. Can’t resist a bit of Don Goodman me.

Big game. Is Paul Warne all bobble hat and no trousers, or does he just have a master plan that I just can’t see yet. Whatever as @borrowashramwould say, I will take an ugly win if I am only watching it from the comfort of my sofa.

Safe travels you full fans.

Up the Rams.

Very tough game this. Already 10 points behind them, albeit with 2 games in hand. Huge test for Warne early in his tenure. Would say that I'd think we'd struggle to win with Rosenior, so it's not like we stand any less of a chance now.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Very tough game this. Already 10 points behind them, albeit with 2 games in hand. Huge test for Warne early in his tenure. Would say that I'd think we'd struggle to win with Rosenior, so it's not like we stand any less of a chance now.

Win this and the two games in hand and the gap is only 1 point

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Win this and the two games in hand and the gap is only 1 point

It is, but that requires to win all 3 games which isn't the most likely outcome. Lose this one, and you're 7 points off even if you do win the other two.

This is an opportunity we should be relishing, in all honesty. One of League One's best teams, who we want to be competing against at the end of the season, to take points off them and put them on our own tally at this stage of the season would be huge. A difficult game, for sure, but absolutely none of the games we play in League One are anything other than winnable. 

Team probably picks itself: Wildsmith, Chester, Davies, Cashin, Bird, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Knight, Mendes-Laing, Dobbin, Osula. 

You could make cases for McGoldrick and Hourihane to make the team, if fit. I'm pretty sure the above team will be the one we go with after Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

This is an opportunity we should be relishing, in all honesty. One of League One's best teams, who we want to be competing against at the end of the season, to take points off them and put them on our own tally at this stage of the season would be huge. A difficult game, for sure, but absolutely none of the games we play in League One are anything other than winnable. 

Team probably picks itself: Wildsmith, Chester, Davies, Cashin, Bird, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Knight, Mendes-Laing, Dobbin, Osula. 

You could make cases for McGoldrick and Hourihane to make the team, if fit. I'm pretty sure the above team will be the one we go with after Saturday. 

Alternative take is a return to 4-3-3.

Wildsmith,

Knight, Davies, Cashin, Roberts 

Smith   Bird   Sibley,

Mendes-Laing  Osula  Barkhuizen

More license for NML and Barkhuisen to get forward, better balance in defence. 

Ball playing midfield.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Alternative take is a return to 4-3-3.

Wildsmith,

Knight, Davies, Cashin, Roberts 

Smith   Bird   Sibley,

Mendes-Laing  Osula  Barkhuizen

More license for NML and Barkhuisen to get forward, better balance in defence. 

Ball playing midfield.

Sorry Liam, don't think we'll be playing your old formations any time soon.

I think the Warne-ball tactics can suit us against teams who are more confident on the ball and are more likely to attack leaving space in behind.

Osula, Dobbin, Barkhuizen and NML are great assets for a fast counter attacking style. McGoldrick to come on and steady the ship if needed and provide an outlet if we need a target for more long balls from the back.

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

8 o’clock kick off on Friday 21 October, but Sky coverage is likely to start a good 45 minutes before that. Can’t resist a bit of Don Goodman me.

Big game. Is Paul Warne all bobble hat and no trousers, or does he just have a master plan that I just can’t see yet. Whatever as @borrowashramwould say, I will take an ugly win if I am only watching it from the comfort of my sofa.

Safe travels you full fans.

Up the Rams.

Suggest it might be worth tuning in early for in depth Sky PW interview. May be everything we’ve heard on Rams TV but I’ve enjoyed all his interviews. Always thought he had a great personality.

55 minutes ago, roboto said:

Sorry Liam, don't think we'll be playing your old formations any time soon.

I think the Warne-ball tactics can suit us against teams who are more confident on the ball and are more likely to attack leaving space in behind.

Osula, Dobbin, Barkhuizen and NML are great assets for a fast counter attacking style. McGoldrick to come on and steady the ship if needed and provide an outlet if we need a target for more long balls from the back.

Our three man central defence has been exposed on a number of occasions. Chester and Davies are experienced but slow and even Cashin has to make last ditch recoveries.

Having Knight and Roberts back there balances things out a bit. 

We need Smith’s calm head in midfield to maintain our shape and play it simple (but not sideways or back as per LR).

If we keep relying on NML and Barkhuisen for defensive cover we will slip up and blunt their effectiveness.

I appreciate Dobbin is ‘lively’ but he’s a forward who doesn’t take his chances and we can ill afford that against Ipswich.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Chester   Davies   Cashin

Knight   Bird   Sibley

Mendez-Laing   Osula   Dobbin   Barkhuizen

Subs: Loach, Stearman, Roberts, Tommo, Smith, McGoldrick, Wheeldon

So long as Knight is OK after last night, this looks to be the starting 11. Is Lennie Wheeldon ahead of the likes of Nunn for a place on the bench? Probably academic as I think we'd have either Forsyth or Hourihane there (if Conor is fit). And I think Forsyth is better going forward than Roberts. If Hourihane is fit I reckon the bench will be: Loach, Stearman, Roberts, Forsyth, Smith, Hourihane, McGoldrick