Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

6 minutes ago, jameso said:

Collins up top on his own (unless you have NML/Barkhuizen/Sibley much closer to him than under LR) didn't work so well from what I saw.

I can help you with the out of contract right back (still contracted but I don't work Saturdays)

Do you not see any signs of PW's system already working? What did you think of the other 2 away performances under him?

I only saw the highlights of both. Seemed a very familiar away performance at Cambridge until the defensive howler and things went our way at Accrington with the two penalty misses. Obviously the home defeat to Port Vale was very disappointing as was last night’s performance. I just want our players playing in their best positions and in a system that suits them. I don’t think under PW they currently are. As has been said, we might have to wait until January for him to bring in Rotherham-type players that suits his style of play ?

20 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Yep to true Dava, An over the top tackle(red card)taking our players shirt off in the penalty area, And a player in Morsey who had the referee in his pocket.

All without a ball ? 

Like I said, playing with aggression ….and in League One with the standard of referees you get away with it. Should have been a red all day long, not even a booking ?

You’ve got to give Paul Warne time to prove he isn’t the manager for the job. We aren’t about to sack a manager a month into a 4 year contract so it’s not even worth a discussion. 

I believe the team is markedly worse now than what it was under Rosenior, for sure, but this isn’t his group. 

He will get the opportunity to prove that he is or isn’t the right man for the job in time. Until then, it will do us no harm but support him and the team.

The game yesterday was between two teams who will be at the same end of the table come the end of the season. Ultimately, though, I think both teams will need a lot of investment going forward to sustain a Championship place. Ipswich have a great system in place, but felt their players lack individual ability. I think we lack both quality and the system at the moment. Result was no surprise, but a sharp reality check that we are a League One side with a poor depth.

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I only saw the highlights of both. Seemed a very familiar away performance at Cambridge until the defensive howler and things went our way at Accrington with the two penalty misses. Obviously the home defeat to Port Vale was very disappointing as was last night’s performance. I just want our players playing in their best positions and in a system that suits them. I don’t think under PW they currently are. As has been said, we might have to wait until January for him to bring in Rotherham-type players that suits his style of play ?

I saw the full matches and thought we had more purpose and certainly more cutting edge in those 2 games - was very encouraged by it.

To be fair to LR, how we didn't win at Charlton or Fleetwood remains a mystery, but other than last night I think we already look more of a threat in away games (and as noted, we could do even more with Collins or Knight available).

The Port Vale match was admittedly poor, but there were some extenuating circumstances.

We seemed to have a complete absence of any press under LR. I think that aspect was also quite weak yesterday - certainly seemed less pressy than in the other three league matches. (Maybe the players are tiring already?! Or don't really see it as their thing, if they're really more technicians than terriers?)

Anyway, I don't disagree about wanting players in their best positions, but the whole thing is a balancing act, taking into account what works to win games at this level (style, shape), who else is fit/available/good. A lot of us wanted Knight in midfield... it's just we also wanted him at right-back because there wasn't anyone better!

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You’ve got to give Paul Warne time to prove he isn’t the manager for the job. We aren’t about to sack a manager a month into a 4 year contract so it’s not even worth a discussion. 

I believe the team is markedly worse now than what it was under Rosenior, for sure, but this isn’t his group. 

He will get the opportunity to prove that he is or isn’t the right man for the job in time. Until then, it will do us no harm but support him and the team.

The game yesterday was between two teams who will be at the same end of the table come the end of the season. Ultimately, though, I think both teams will need a lot of investment going forward to sustain a Championship place. Ipswich have a great system in place, but felt their players lack individual ability. I think we lack both quality and the system at the moment. Result was no surprise, but a sharp reality check that we are a League One side with a poor depth.

Hopefully he’s looking the opportunity to prove he is the right manager for the job ?

Judging by his interview on RamsTV, PW saw the game the same as most frustrated fans have. I guess that’s good. 

Under LR, we were able to pass the ball around but did so under little pressure from the opposing team. On most occasions (second halfs), when the opposing team had a bit of a go, our passing went to pot. So when the tempo increased, our passing accuracy decreased. Under PW, we try and play at a frenetic pace, so it’s no surprise our passing and control is woeful. If it’s not the opposition hurrying us, it’s ourselves. 

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sorry but unless you were watching a different game last night Ipswich didn't look like scoring until we contrived to gift them a goal which they scored with and the inevitable penalty which they didn't. 

Ergo they were also crap as well by your same reasoning.

It takes real derby coloured specs to look at that game and think there were two teams going for it. They were constantly in good position. They missed a pen and they scored. At times it looked like we were playing in an FA CUP tie as an underdog when we’d aimlessly punt it up. 

4 hours ago, enachops said:

Until Davies mistake Ipswich didn’t look like winning either. I don’t know why people are saying Ipswich are the best team we’ve faced this season. They were bang average. 3 shots on target - 1 was the goal which we gifted them and 1 a penalty. They didn’t massively trouble us. Port Vale caused us more problems. We were terrible going forward, but looked likely to get a scrappy 0-0 until the mistake which I’d have taken pre game. 

We looked good for the first 3 minutes after that it was defence v attack training exercise. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

What does Warne do until January then ?

Some comments are bizarre, Warne has only just walked in the door, give him some time, cringeworthy to read the knives being sharpened after 4 league games, we have a serial League One promotion winner at the helm. My expectations for Warne are for next season where we expect to be competing right at the very top of the league (top 2 challengers), he has this season to figure out his moves to get there IMO. He will no doubt have players here he doesn't fancy and players here he needs to mould into his image and players he wants to bring in this Jan and summer. Be great if we could allow him to get on with this brief...

And I have no problem with the football, the intensity is great, Warne has said he wants us to pass it better so he is seeing what we're seeing too. And if it got Rotherham promoted it is good enough for me. Champagne football in League One, we tried it, nobly, with Rosenior and albeit we gave that limited time also, the difference is we now have a manager with a formula that is known to work to get teams out of this league - hopefully, our fans won't hound someone out after 10 games because we're not playing like Barcelona. 

28 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Some comments are bizarre, Warne has only just walked in the door, give him some time, cringeworthy to read the knives being sharpened after 4 league games, we have a serial League One promotion winner at the helm. My expectations for Warne are for next season where we expect to be competing right at the very top of the league (top 2 challengers), he has this season to figure out his moves to get there IMO. He will no doubt have players here he doesn't fancy and players here he needs to mould into his image and players he wants to bring in this Jan and summer. Be great if we could allow him to get on with this brief...

And I have no problem with the football, the intensity is great, Warne has said he wants us to pass it better so he is seeing what we're seeing too. And if it got Rotherham promoted it is good enough for me. Champagne football in League One, we tried it, nobly, with Rosenior and albeit we gave that limited time also, the difference is we now have a manager with a formula that is known to work to get teams out of this league - hopefully, our fans won't hound someone out after 10 games because we're not playing like Barcelona. 

Time will tell, being on a 4 year contract he should have plenty of time.

The football was horrible however,  it was a single Derby mistake that provided the opportunity for Ipswich to score. Isn’t one of the first requirements of a successful team to stop conceding goals,  in that PW seems to have had some success. He has also provided us the previously unattainable, some away wins???

if we hadn’t some recent success winning away I suspect we would have written last night off as “We never win away”, it was the disappointment of some sort of a result, last night, that hurts.

There were some strange positional changes made by PW last night, at least PW is exercising and exploring his options, I hope he doesn’t use NML in that position again, unless forced to, in my opinion it’s a waste of a player.

19 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

The football was horrible however,  it was a single Derby mistake that provided the opportunity for Ipswich to score. Isn’t one of the first requirements of a successful team to stop conceding goals,  in that PW seems to have had some success. He has also provided us the previously unattainable, some away wins???

if we hadn’t some recent success winning away I suspect we would have written last night off as “We never win away”, it was the disappointment of some sort of a result, last night, that hurts.

There were some strange positional changes made by PW last night, at least PW is exercising and exploring his options, I hope he doesn’t use NML in that position again, unless forced to, in my opinion it’s a waste of a player.

Taking both Dobbin and Osula off was bizarre too ?

Came away from the game really frustrated but thought we held our own without being too threatening. Until the goal the scoreline was a fair one, which I'd have been delighted with considering the circumstances of where the two teams have been in recent years. Ipswich were the better team afterwards.

Few mini takeaways:

Wildsmith looks very good, great freebie. Not convinced by Oulsa or Dobbin, they couldn't trap a bag of sand between them. Easy pickings for Ipswich's back 4 but they will do ok against the poorer defences in this league. Bird's inconsistency is worrying - in a division below where I thought his standard was. Korey Smith looked good. Marcus Harness was very good for them. 

Onto Tuesday, chill out yer bloody drama queens. 

Some of the comments regarding the league table are also bizarre. I'm seeing a lot of comments pretty much saying that Plymouth and Ipswich are guaranteed to go up automatically. It's October. Ipswich are a good side and will be top 6 come May but when was the last time the top 2 in October was the top 2 at the end of the season. It changes. As Derby fans we should know this more than anyone. How many times have we been top 2 at this stage of the season to then drop down to fifth or sixth at the end of it. 

Calm down. The expectation for this season should be playoffs. We are not far off. We are 5 points from 4th place with two games in hand. We can improve and I'm sure we will. If Ipswich last night was the best this division has to offer then we're not a million miles away, despite the poor performance.

6 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not really, I thought Ipswich are a far better side that we have played so far, thought they were better but we played ok. It’s difficult when you change a system and players, good players were bought to fill a side playing possession football. Warne’s play is different and the players are beginning to adjust, NML seems to be 100% fitter, Smith seems a better fit, we are getting more out of Sibley.

January is going to be a very important window for us, couple of good Warne like signings and we will be in the playoffs, otherwise we will still be in and around them but I think we will be in L1 next year. Remember a couple of weeks before the start of the season, would have struggled to field a 5 a side team. All things considered getting promoted was a big ask, and it’s still not out of the question. I liked a lot of what I saw against Ipswich apart from the lack 0f a cutting edge