Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Decent first 20 mins but thereafter thought we were poor & Ipswich not much better.

There are some things I like about our new style but probably more I dislike. We are winning more second balls & undoubtedly getting more men into the box when the ball is out wide. Unfortunately the level of intensity is having a ruinous effect on our composure on the ball, technique, passing & quality from out wide - I saw this a lot with Warne's teams at Rotherham, they often looked a much better side without the ball than with it.

Thought Sibley was very good in that first 20 mins & another good display (and penalty save) from Wildsmith but struggling for positives other than that. Yes, Evans should have been sent off & I didn't think Ipswich were at all top 2 standard but reality is we barely threatened for the last hour of that game & looked like willing runners without the ability to string more than a couple of passes together. I don't believe we have the personnel to play Warneball so you have to question the managerial strategy in forcing the team to set up that way - our centre halves are not quick enough to deal with wingers breaking on them, we don't have proper wing backs any longer & playing at 100 mph means our quality gets eroded.

Its interesting isnt it how many manager we have had that inisist on playing a system for which we clearly dont have the players for. 

16 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Maybe Clowes saw enough from rosenior to use this season as a 'free hit' for his longer term preference of a seasoned coach like Warne? It's short termism that kills football. 

Paul Warne only took up a coaching role in May 2012 with Rotherham, then promoted to Manager in 2016 at Rotherham. So far only with his second club (Derby) as a coach/manager. Clowes either himself or influenced by someone at the club decided to take on Warne, knowing his style of football coaching was different to Rosenior's. The recruitment by Rosenior in such a short time was very good and after only 9 league games (4 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats), he gets pushed out. Warne has matched Rosenior's defeats in just 6 games, 4 defeats if you count the penalty shoot out against League two Mansfield. I not saying Rosenior would have been the right man, but I saying that Paul Warne does'nt seem to be the right man so far. I hope I'm wrong because I want the team to do well. But is this the right choice for a longer term preference, His style of football got Rotherham relegated twice in the championship.

59 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Utterly bonkers comments about Warne on here. Three promotions to his name and people writing him off after 5-6 games. A cobbled together side of youth and freebies he's been handed. Knight and Collins unavailable and little depth elsewhere. 

Multi-year plan here, no need for overreactions after losing to a team going up via the autos. 

You forgot to mention Warne's had two relegations to his name playing hoofball football.

Goals change games. We gifted Ipswich a goal when we were starting to look likely. Changed the game completely.

We didn’t play well but we were well in the game and contained them while looking threatening in attack, but final ball was seriously lacking tonight. 

We are clearly transitioning between two styles, either we are too eager to go front to back and careless in possession, or too slow playing it about at the back and getting caught, we are not the finished article and this is not how Warne wants us playing. 

Cashin is the best defender in League one. I said preseason he will be in League one team of the year and think I’ll be right on that one. Smith was excellent. Bird couldn’t get in the game. Sibley was good first half but his performance deteriorated to the point where he was dire. Barky struggled and NML not as effective today. I think NML  looks good at RWB on the whole I think Barky is struggling with it. 

Work in progress. There is no need for wrist slashing tonight. Performance level was similar to accy but Ipswich are better. People need to realise we are not one of the two best teams in this division and playoffs is our best hope this season, there is also a strong likelihood this could be a two year job. 

14 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I read some of the comments on here and realise how lucky I am not to be a mod or admin.

I'd hate to have to trawl this forum and read every post from some of the posters we have. 

We dont have to read every post Ossie, Its impossible, I work full-time and have family commitments, if someone complains we look at it but we cant ban people for moaning. Personally, I'd like to ban people from the South Stand who refuse to join in the singing, even if its some dodgy song from D block ? . Could we enforce a contract that makes it compulsory to sing when you buy a ticket for the South Stand?. I always assumed it was compulsory on the Popside, why else would you go there?

I don't mind people moaning on the forum as long as they get behind the team on match days. The Derby fans at Ipswich tonight were superb, great support on a miserable, wet Friday night, loud and proud as usual.

Tuesday and Saturday next week, two home games - we'll be there getting behind the manager and team, thats all we can do. COYR ?

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

What does Max Bird actually do. 

That's the million dollar question rather than is Warne the right man for the job. 

I’ve  got to say that young Max is very ineffective lacks pace and strength and needs taking out I’d go as far to say Tommo looked brighter than him when he came on some on here moan about Hourihane but if we played 3 in midfield smith hourihane and knight get my vote ...Bird does not score nowhere near enough for a midfielder and tonight was poor at least Hourihan will get some goals 

also we look dreadfully short up top I could not understand taking Dobbin off who has pace to stretch the defence Didzy looked very laboured to me 

surely it must be an idea to go 433 and get NML in the opposition  half more I bet anyone playing us are glad he spends so much time in his own half 

sorry to say we look short in a lot of areas but praise to Cashin Smith Wildsmith  and Chester who I thought were good tonight but going forward e don’t look like scoring many ...concerning times and tonight was a reality check I’m afraid ? 

Edited by S8TY

7 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I’ve  got to say that young Max is very ineffective lacks pace and strength and needs taking out I’d go as far to say Tommo looked brighter than him when he came on some on here moan about Hourihane but if we played 3 in midfield smith hourihane and knight get my vote ...Bird does not score nowhere near enough for a midfielder and tonight was poor at least Hourihan will get some goals 

also we look dreadfully short up top I could not understand taking Dobbin off who has pace to stretch the defence Didzy looked very laboured to me 

surely it must be an idea to go 433 and get NML in the opposition  half more I bet anyone playing us are glad he spends so much time in his own half 

sorry to say we look short in a lot of areas but praise to Cashin Smith Wildsmith  and Chester who I thought were good tonight but going forward e don’t look like scoring many ...concerning times and tonight was a reality check I’m afraid ? 

Still on my way back from the game. 

We really don't seem to have any cohesive attacking plan. It looked like "lump it in the general direction of Osula and see what he can do". 

He was well martialed by a couple of canny cbs. 

Then we had NML, who had his full back on toast during the first half, drawing a yellow card and generally had him. 

Then he mysteriously plays further back and hardly runs at him 2nd half. 

It's all bits and pieces. As soon as it looks like we have an idea we stop that and change to doing something else. There's no consistent patterns of play. 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Goals change games. We gifted Ipswich a goal when we were starting to look likely. Changed the game completely.

We didn’t play well but we were well in the game and contained them while looking threatening in attack, but final ball was seriously lacking tonight. 

We are clearly transitioning between two styles, either we are too eager to go front to back and careless in possession, or too slow playing it about at the back and getting caught, we are not the finished article and this is not how Warne wants us playing. 

Cashin is the best defender in League one. I said preseason he will be in League one team of the year and think I’ll be right on that one. Smith was excellent. Bird couldn’t get in the game. Sibley was good first half but his performance deteriorated to the point where he was dire. Barky struggled and NML not as effective today. I think NML  looks good at RWB on the whole I think Barky is struggling with it. 

Work in progress. There is no need for wrist slashing tonight. Performance level was similar to accy but Ipswich are better. People need to realise we are not one of the two best teams in this division and playoffs is our best hope this season, there is also a strong likelihood this could be a two year job. 

Yes, very unusual for Butterfield light.  

People are kidding themselves if they think that tonight would have been any better under Rosenior.

The truth is that it was a poor game that was won and lost on individual battles, not tactics or style of play. On another day we might have ground out a 0-0 and moved on to the next.

Ipswich are the quintessential League 1 team. They are capable of mixing it up. They know when to play and when to scrap and they demonstrated this to reasonable effect tonight. They have a blend of physicality, bite, power, athleticism, size and speed that allows them to be highly competitive, but in real terms, they only scored through an absolute gift.

For us, it’s still a time of discovery and understanding what we can do and what we cannot in the current parameters. Warne didn’t cover himself in glory tonight and that performance will have certainly fanned the flames of discontent. However he’s learning about these players all the time and tonight will have told him a lot.

Bird and Sibley never got going. Osula and Dobbin barely got a sniff. We are hugely reliant on young players and in truth, we needed all of them to be on it to win tonight and all four of them got comfortably dealt with in their match ups. It will likely happen again in the weeks and months ahead if we choose to count on them.

Wildsmith, Cashin, Chester and Smith were all solid, but it matters little when the other seven miss the mark so greatly. Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen offered no quality or composure, a problem that was rampant across the team and ultimately magnified with Davies who made the match-turning mistake.

What worries me is that for everyone saying we should be a footballing side, there was little evidence of anything that is synonymous with a footballing side. That doesn’t disappear in the space of 4-5 weeks. You either have it or you don’t.

What we might have to come to terms with is that this squad doesn’t really suit any particular style and that in fact, many of them are not as good as we build them up to be.

Have at it we got a win if only by the one goal.    Read some game report/s available on-line and maybe it wasn't El Classico or anything but two teams of once powerful stature fighting it out in some piss-ant league where neither wishes to be.     Derby County would have been maybe favorites over ourselves to finish in first place but you people need to improve if you got any chance of making it back by end of season.     Don't get me wrong i'd like to see Derby back in the Championship league but not if comes at our expense.      Think maybe the play-offs are a realistic target for you now, no disrespect but you seem to falling too far behind the leading pack.

A bumper crowd tonight, fans are coming back and Portman Road is selling out once more, as a long-suffering fan you can't dispute.

Burns took his chance well when on another night he or someone could have blown the opportunity but not sure how many further chances Jackson will be presented from a penalty decision.   

All said a tough gritty encounter between two of the actual heavyweights of the division.    Maybe it wasn't the best advert for lower league soccer but a win's a win.     Hope the traveling fans Derby took down endured a safe trip back even if you didn't get the result you wanted.    I look forward to the return at Pride Park Stadium.