James Collins

Sean

Just wanted to put in a good word for James, he worked tirelessly tonight against Grimsby and you can tell the crowd are on his side trying to get him his first goal which is refreshing to see.

He runs and runs and runs, is getting in the right positions and really pushes defenders back and out of place. Hoping his goal comes this week or as soon as possible and he can then carry on firing.

42 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I feel like he just needs to be taken out the firing line for 1 or 2 games. Reset and go again. It’s wouldn’t be a negative thing I feel like he’s trying to hard now. He needs some luck 

I feel a goal is coming his way I think just needs get one and then he wont be able to stop scoring.

He hasn’t scored, its hard when strikers get periods like this and worse at a new club. It might be worth noting that Dobbin also hasn’t been prolific .. Has he scored either ? yet the same level of pressure just isn’t there at all. Ok he’s not No 9 but it really is fine lines. 

Need to keep behind him. If it doesn’t change then he will be dropped but I smell one of those times when he gets couple of games out and bounces back with vengeance. All will be well. Patience ! 

I’m really struggling to see the tireless work everyone speaks of. He generally lets Sibley do his pressing, marks himself against a centre back and doesn’t move to want the ball to feet. He then has a Teflon first touch and the less said about the finishing the better. 

Now I’m hoping that confidence can affect things like hiding from the ball, first touch and finishing, and potentially we are a goal off his backside from a much improved player. That said, we simply must sign a striker this week. 

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think Collins and Rosenior should go through videos of his games so far to analyse the positions he takes up in the box. 
Often only a slide rule precision pass would find him at the far post beyond the keeper and a defender.

He was in the box, perfect position at the end of last nights game almost exactly as you describe and unfortunately didn’t seem to read the flight of the ball from McGoldrick my best guess. (It’s on the highlights if you didn’t see it).

Right now Lady Luck is deserting him, he’s just not getting a break; must be mentally very frustrating for a striker.

Fans calling for Collins to be dropped need to remember that we don't have a direct replacement. McGoldrick is the obvious choice, but it's also obvious that he can be most effective playing in a free role. It could work, but would require an adjustment to the way we play unless we sign a direct replacement. 

He’s getting to the point where he has to win his place back, we have 6 players for those front four positions and the other 5 have shown more IMO. 

You can tell he’s a decent(ish) player, but while he’s not scoring you can’t keep someone out the team who should be in it because he needs a goal.

5 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

He was in the box, perfect position at the end of last nights game almost exactly as you describe and unfortunately didn’t seem to read the flight of the ball from McGoldrick my best guess. (It’s on the highlights if you didn’t see it).

Right now Lady Luck is deserting him, he’s just not getting a break; must be mentally very frustrating for a striker.

Yes, I saw the game. I only saw his miss from one angle so don’t know if he miskicked or it went just behind him.

That was a shot from McGoldrick though. It’s when we have it wide that Collins seems to gravitate to the far post.

If he is going to do that he should stop his run to allow the defender to run past him and he might then find space.

As you say, he’s getting no luck. He could do with one like NML got last night.

Feeling really sorry for Collins now, I know he only got 3 goals in 26 games for Cardiff, but did they expect him to play defence and attack? The lad has to run 80 yards to get on the end of a cross. He has to come back for every free kick and corner also helping out in midfield.l don’t think many strikers would want to come here and play that role.He will be burnt out by Xmas.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

That was a shot from McGoldrick though. It’s when we have it wide that Collins seems to gravitate to the far post.

On one occasion in the first half, he made a run to the near post, but NML put the ball on the back post where we had no-one. 

Twice in quick succession late in the second half hard shots from teammates hit him when he was stood around the penalty spot, but he couldn't even get a lucky ricochet. 

The bloke has clearly angered the Gods and deserves sympathy, not antipathy ?

And here we now have the scapegoat it would appear if things turn pear shape, I didn't see the game last night, I've read postings of his miss against Grimsby, Oh if only we were playing we'd have scored, My gran would have, A cows backside with a banjo, Not forgetting the Queen Ann's table legs ?

If only we could spend £50m + on someone like Haarland things would be a little more Rosie in the garden, Just an opinion here, Nothing factual, anyone who's played the game would know how difficult it is to run all day long on the pitch, Box to box, Defending and attacking, Linking up play, Heading away attacking corners, You'd have to be Red Rum to have stamina like that, Also this could be affecting his game, Not a centre forward that just stands on the halfway line but one that's involved for all the minutes when he's on the pitch.

I get peoples frustration, I'd wager Collins and LR are also frustrated, Results are the main thing we get that, As we now seem to have others contributing to the goals for Column there's no panic, I'm confident Collins will be contributing in due course.

COYRs  

17 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Feeling really sorry for Collins now, I know he only got 3 goals in 26 games for Cardiff, but did they expect him to play defence and attack? The lad has to run 80 yards to get on the end of a cross. He has to come back for every free kick and corner also helping out in midfield.l don’t think many strikers would want to come here and play that role.He will be burnt out by Xmas.

Are you forgetting thr role Martin played for us? In fact, it's pretty much the same role most CFs play