James Collins

Sean

It certainly isn't luck or lack of, some top players seem to score tap ins every week, just have a knack of being right place, right time by reading the game. And executing without even thinking about it. This is a lack of confidence, I've seen enough to think once he gets one he will be in the goals in this league. And despite those who like to criticise our own fans, they'll have to bide their time to scratch that itch on this occasion, Derby fans generally back earnest workers even if the ability doesn't shine out and seen nothing but support for the guy from day one, and as it should be. I think everyone is desperate for him to get off the mark.

Edited by SillyBilly

11 hours ago, Crewton said:

Fans calling for Collins to be dropped need to remember that we don't have a direct replacement. McGoldrick is the obvious choice, but it's also obvious that he can be most effective playing in a free role. It could work, but would require an adjustment to the way we play unless we sign a direct replacement. 

We had this argument before, and we ended up adjusting to play Tom Lawrence up front and it worked. I'd trust any of McGoldrick, Dobbin, Sibley or Barkhuizen to take up that role. I'd wager that a more mobile player in that role will encourage defenders to try and win it higher up the pitch and leave space for them to run into.

Maybe Collins is the only "number nine" we have, but what does that mean? He's not winning his battles right now, he's not all that tall or strong, he's not applying the finishing touch. Almost anyone could do equal or better right now.

I know that's harsh but it's the way it is. I believe he'll come good but let's not kid ourselves, it's not just bad luck that's stopping him, he's not playing well at all. He needs a rest

49 minutes ago, Tombo said:

We had this argument before, and we ended up adjusting to play Tom Lawrence up front and it worked.

Did it? Is that why we ended up blooding a rookie in Plange as soon as he was deemed ready and played him for most of the rest of the season even though he only scored 4 goals in 26 appearances? He wasn't there for his goalscoring record, he was doing another job for the team. 

I'm not arguing that someone couldn't make a success of it, but it'd take them away from their best position, like Lawrence, who Rooney and Rosenior obviously preferred to have either wide or behind a striker. 

I won't complain if Rosenior takes him out of the firing line, but your assertion that he's doing nothing for the team is incorrect imo.

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I won't complain if Rosenior takes him out of the firing line, but your assertion that he's doing nothing for the team is incorrect imo.

Is he really currently doing much more than a.n.other player running around up front could do?

He's meant to be scoring goals and/or assisting, he's doing neither. He's not very good in the air either. Don't get me wrong he's our player and his goal-scoring record at this level is great, but do we play the right game for him? I mean like, who knew Vydra could score all those goals until Snake played him...

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is he really currently doing much more than a.n.other player running around up front could do?

He's meant to be scoring goals and/or assisting, he's doing neither. He's not very good in the air either. Don't get me wrong he's our player and his goal-scoring record at this level is great, but do we play the right game for him? I mean like, who knew Vydra could score all those goals until Snake played him...

Just watched the highlights. Seems to me he did a lot right. Lovely cushion pass for the first goal. His first touch created that goal in my opinion.  For the second his running to get to the back post took 2 defenders with him creating the space that Sibley found himself in. If Martin had done either of those things you would have been extolling the virtues of good centre forward play. His touch in the rest of the highlights was good too. Yes, he missed one at the end, but McGoldrick wasn’t looking to pick him out with a pass. He took a poor shot, and from a good position flashed wide of the goal. Collins was in the right place but couldn’t adjust his feet to get anything on the ball. Only the small minded would be looking to take pot shots on the basis of that game imho.

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Just watched the highlights. Seems to me he did a lot right. Lovely cushion pass for the first goal. His first touch created that goal in my opinion.  For the second his running to get to the back post took 2 defenders with him creating the space that Sibley found himself in. If Martin had done either of those things you would have been extolling the virtues of good centre forward play. His touch in the rest of the highlights was good too. Yes, he missed one at the end, but McGoldrick wasn’t looking to pick him out with a pass. He took a poor shot, and from a good position flashed wide of the goal. Collins was in the right place but couldn’t adjust his feet to get anything on the ball. Only the small minded would be looking to take pot shots on the basis of that game imho.

That really stands out. Mention another. ?

Lol, very funny comparing him to Martin. Is that meant to wind me up? 

He's not up to much, if any other player had done 'one touch' and missed chances?! Thought Thommo played a lovely pass for one of the goals, got to play every match now ain't he.

The guy hasn't done much in the past couple of games, he's looked lost - as someone else said lots of throwing his arms in the air when he doesn't get a pass - very Chrissie! 

He might come good but atm he's looking very Derek Hales, but cheaper obviously.

Oh and for the few minutes he was on, Bart looked much livelier and had a good chance.

Edited by RoyMac5

14 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

The thing I don’t like about Collins is how he’s first to have a go at any player that doesn’t play the right pass to him. 

He’s always got his hands in the air complaining yet his teammates must be the most frustrated with him. 

Can’t say I’ve noticed this 

If he does it’s nowhere near Chrissy Martin levels of mardiness ?

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not up to much, if any other player had done 'one touch' and missed chances?! Thought Thommo played a lovely pass for one of the goals, got to play every match now ain't he.

The guy hasn't done much in the past couple of games, he's looked lost - as someone else said lots of throwing his arms in the air when he doesn't get a pass - very Chrissie! 

He might come good but atm he's looking very Derek Hales, but cheaper obviously.

Oh and for the few minutes he was on, Bart looked much livelier and had a good chance.

I’m fed up with forwards who are ‘lively’.

I couldn’t give a toss if they’re swigging from a can and smoking a fag if they put the ball in the back of the net!

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Collins dispossessed their players a number of times and got us back on the attack again. It's not the flashy stuff that gets the headlines, but it'll probably be appreciated enough by management to keep him in the team for another couple of games at least. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Collins dispossessed their players a number of times and got us back on the attack again. It's not the flashy stuff that gets the headlines, but it'll probably be appreciated enough by management to keep him in the team for another couple of games at least. 

That may be so, but a.n.other player might also be able to tackle? He's a striker on to score goals and atm doesn't.

I'm disappointed in his lack of goals, and I can see why Cardiff let him go. Hopefully he'll score some, but as for the rest of his game it is fairly limited it seems. Clutching at straws to say he tackles and runs around a bit.

11 hours ago, cannable said:

Can’t say I’ve noticed this 

If he does it’s nowhere near Chrissy Martin levels of mardiness ?

I've noticed a couple of times him pointing towards the corner when Knights balls down the line are too central and easy to collect by the keeper. There was one last week when he pointed to his right, Wildsmith interpreted it as " play the ball into the gap to the right and I'll run on to it". Wildsmith kicked long, Their keeper collected as Collins stood still had a little moan at Wildsmith as he was actually pointing for the pass to be played to Dobbin on the wing.
I haven't seen much else though.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That may be so, but a.n.other player might also be able to tackle? He's a striker on to score goals and atm doesn't.

I'm disappointed in his lack of goals, and I can see why Cardiff let him go. Hopefully he'll score some, but as for the rest of his game it is fairly limited it seems. Clutching at straws to say he tackles and runs around a bit.

I agree that scoring goals and/or helping to set chances up for others, is the main part of his job, but dismissing his contribution entirely is unfair. Our early season scoring difficulties were not entirely down to him. Many others missed decent chances. 

I suspect that, unless we sign another senior striker, Rosenior will persist with Collins in the hope that he breaks his duck. 

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I agree that scoring goals and/or helping to set chances up for others, is the main part of his job, but dismissing his contribution entirely is unfair. Our early season scoring difficulties were not entirely down to him. Many others missed decent chances. 

I suspect that, unless we sign another senior striker, Rosenior will persist with Collins in the hope that he breaks his duck. 

I didn't dismiss his contributions entirely, I merely pointed out that the things he has been doing could be done by a.n.other, if we're not judging by goals, we could have let Stretton run around. 

I hope he starts scoring soon, we need that.

14 hours ago, Tombo said:

We had this argument before, and we ended up adjusting to play Tom Lawrence up front and it worked. I'd trust any of McGoldrick, Dobbin, Sibley or Barkhuizen to take up that role. I'd wager that a more mobile player in that role will encourage defenders to try and win it higher up the pitch and leave space for them to run into.

Maybe Collins is the only "number nine" we have, but what does that mean? He's not winning his battles right now, he's not all that tall or strong, he's not applying the finishing touch. Almost anyone could do equal or better right now.

I know that's harsh but it's the way it is. I believe he'll come good but let's not kid ourselves, it's not just bad luck that's stopping him, he's not playing well at all. He needs a rest

I agree. Sometimes you need to drop out play at a lower level, re-set your game and re-discover your touch. Last minute v Grimsby he was an inch away from McG’s cross at the back post.

I suspect though that “Rosey” will keep plugging away with him. For me his wretched form was epitomised when he got a lovely ball to feet from Forsyth in the box then just went all tangle-foot and the defender just pinched it off him. 

When will his run of luck change? ?‍♂️

As the guy who wrote a thread saying how important Collins’ movement was for Hourihane’s goal against Oxford, I’ve got to say I did think that had diminished on Saturday (as had done previously in the away games, but tighter pitches makes his movement have less impact anyway). The example is in McGoldrick’s goal. When we got into those positions during the game, Collins had been in line on the six yard box with the defenders, effectively in a no man’s land position. McGoldrick comes on and delays his run meaning he finds space around the penalty spot and in a position to shoot. Collins positioning is of someone desperate to score and trying to do the right things but getting it wrong because you aren’t effecting play. He wasn’t the only disappointing performance on Saturday and because our side aren’t making 5/6 clear cut chances a game I think it highlights Collins performance further and adding pressure to those chances he does get. 

Itll come with him, I think Tuesday would have done a him and a few others some good, cause whilst he didn’t score he showed to be getting in those positions again. Much like it did someone like Max Bird some good after being hauled off on Saturday.

hmm , i havent been on this forum in a while. but ive been impressed with collins. everytime we score hes had summet to do with it , either tirelessly working off the ball or just being a nuisance to the opposition. Hes done everything bar score. Goals are coming. id love to see what he'd be able to achieve with someone like mcgoldrick playing behind him putting the ball on a plate for him. i know hes missed a few but thats just confidence.

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

He's playing a part in a team thats still trying to gel, still trying to get to know each other. Big test for Liam how he handles it, stick or twist? Its probably made easier because we're winning, to start him on Saturday.

Some love from the crowd might help.

Jake Rooney gets a cheer every time he passes back to the goalie. Let’s give Collins a song for support please.