James Collins

Sean

On 31/08/2022 at 19:46, Tombo said:

We had this argument before, and we ended up adjusting to play Tom Lawrence up front and it worked. I'd trust any of McGoldrick, Dobbin, Sibley or Barkhuizen to take up that role. I'd wager that a more mobile player in that role will encourage defenders to try and win it higher up the pitch and leave space for them to run into.

Maybe Collins is the only "number nine" we have, but what does that mean? He's not winning his battles right now, he's not all that tall or strong, he's not applying the finishing touch. Almost anyone could do equal or better right now.

I know that's harsh but it's the way it is. I believe he'll come good but let's not kid ourselves, it's not just bad luck that's stopping him, he's not playing well at all. He needs a rest

I tend to disagree with much of your take,  but that’s the beauty of ‘opinions’ and everyone can have differing ones. 
I believe Collins is working very hard, his build up play and distribution to others aground him is very good. He’s a handful and draws defenders to have to mark him closely. I agree he should have bagged a few already and on occasion his decisions and execution have not been as good as you’d expect with his record. There’s also the fact that varying goalkeepers have made some unbelievable saves from him m, he’s had efforts cleared off the line and hit the woodwork too. I think it’s becoming a confidence issue for him and it could be even be argued he’s trying so hard m, maybe too hard. All strikers go through lean spells and he is no different, but his lean spell he’s going through has been from the offset. I really don’t like crowds turning on players, but Derby fans seem to have been doing thus to certain players so over the last few years m, we’ll slot longer than that if I’m honest - it doesn’t help anyone, either the player m, the team or improve things. I don’t think anyone can fault Collins effort and input and I hope he turns the corner very soon. His goal scoring history is good and I think that will return, but I accept his scoring form and confidence is clearly not good presently. 
I’ll go with the manager and if he thinks he should be in the side, they’ll do for me - if he takes him out the side or used him differently, I’ll also go with that too. 
I think Collins will come good ??

8 hours ago, Red Ram said:

Collins was excellent. Fantastic work rate and took his goal really well. You could see what it meant to him. Surprised to see people still criticizing him. Doubt you would be if we hadn't lost.

He was not excellent and he didn’t take his goal well. 

Didzy was excellent and his assist was brilliant. Won the ball and laid it on a plate to score. 

42 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Didzy was excellent and his assist was brilliant. Won the ball and laid it on a plate to score. 

I can’t even bother with an angry emoji. That rates as the worst post of the day.

A new striker, in a drought at a new club and he bags his opener. You write that ? 

For the record .. it was a beautifully weighted ball from McGoldrick. He was 1 V 1 against an advancing goalie with a split second to make his decision. It was a sweet clean shot reversed against the goalies movement slotted neatly in the back of the net. No panic, no fluff, no snatched blast. Good finish end of story. 

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

??‍♂️??‍♂️  Beats the advancing keeper with one touch and it ends up in the back of the net…….. what did you want him to do exactly from the position he was in to take it well?

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Collins will not be in the starting 11 very soon. 

I understand people giving him a chance, and rightly so but our performances won’t be great whilst he’s in the team. 

Pretty strange thing to say considering the performances this season have been great (bar yesterday obviously). 

4 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Great???? 

So not counting yesterday and probably Peterborough I think the performances have been great, very good, dominant - call it what you want. For a thrown together team with a shorter pre-season than every other team we've played, the performances have been impressive. The only thing we've not done is put the ball in the net enough. 

To criticise the performances because of Collins' inclusion is way off the mark. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

So not counting yesterday and probably Peterborough I think the performances have been great, very good, dominant - call it what you want. For a thrown together team with a shorter pre-season than every other team we've played, the performances have been impressive. The only thing we've not done is put the ball in the net enough. 

To criticise the performances because of Collins' inclusion is way off the mark. 

Performances have been OK. We’ve made hard work of the wins we’ve had and it’s been painful in the away games. 

A good striker in this team could have been in double figures already and probably should be. 

Performances could have been great if we’d have taken our chances. 

5 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Watch it again. I just have.  It's a perfect 'FIFA' type dink over the keeper. Really good finish. Not dissimilar to one Ravel Morrison scored last season. Exactly what he intended. Just seems like you've made your mind up about him already and don't want to change it regardless of the evidence to the contrary.