James Collins

Sean

37 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He's a key part of a team that's 7 unbeaten and has won the last 3, people just need to just stop focusing on whether he scores or not, and focus on whether we win or not. The goals will naturally come, he's scored goals throughout his career.

If we want to finish as high as possible, the main striker should be scoring at least one goal from the 60+ shots we've had in the last 4 games. 

It's no coincidence we scored two goals once he was off the field on Saturday. 

No worries this I think. He works hard, brings some much needed physicality to the team, win some important headers and show some good link up play with the new team. Sometimes strikers just hit a bad patch but as long as Collins keep fighting as he does now I am certain goals will come. COYR!

His work rate for 90 minutes his phenomenal. As he is putting himself about for the full 90 minutes, it means defenders lose their concentration and it creates chances. This has been seen multiple times this season.

I saw on multiple occasions last night, he got the ball into feet, played it out wide and then went full sprint into the box. He was doing this time and time again. He often makes his runs to the back post - and some of our crossing hasn't been great.

Then defensively, he's a monster in our box. He's being given one of the most important defensive heading roles (the free man in the middle) - again - he wins a lot of headers in our box. 

It all goes together. If we're winning as a team, and we generally are, then his spot is earnt even without the goals.

What I liked last night - when he missed that chance in the 93rd minute - no-one got on his back - 90% of people in the East stand applauded him. These are the types of fans I want.

He's not even close to being dropped in my eyes - his all-round play is immense, just a goal or two will keep the doom mongers away.

Think he has got unlucky on a fair few occasions , hit the woodwork , last ditch block , great save etc. Id be more worried if he wasnt getting in the positions to score tbh , think once he gets one he will get a fair few. Also his workrate is fantastic , and he brings others into the game , the pass last night for the first goal , first time pass was excellent. We need to be patient , maybe he needs a games rest or whatever , i doubt that would hurt. Still would like 1 more loan forward to be honest , just to take the pressure off him even more.

31 minutes ago, rammieib said:

His work rate for 90 minutes his phenomenal. As he is putting himself about for the full 90 minutes, it means defenders lose their concentration and it creates chances. This has been seen multiple times this season.

I saw on multiple occasions last night, he got the ball into feet, played it out wide and then went full sprint into the box. He was doing this time and time again. He often makes his runs to the back post - and some of our crossing hasn't been great.

Then defensively, he's a monster in our box. He's being given one of the most important defensive heading roles (the free man in the middle) - again - he wins a lot of headers in our box. 

It all goes together. If we're winning as a team, and we generally are, then his spot is earnt even without the goals.

What I liked last night - when he missed that chance in the 93rd minute - no-one got on his back - 90% of people in the East stand applauded him. These are the types of fans I want.

He's not even close to being dropped in my eyes - his all-round play is immense, just a goal or two will keep the doom mongers away.

Exactly, very good link up play for the first goal as well.

One thing I noticed, on Saturday especially, is his runs in the box are generally towards the 6 yard box. This is where he is always gesticulating he wants crosses played. But we are tending to pull them back to the edge of the area where there is loads of space created by his runs. How many chances did we miss from these pull backs on Saturday? 

I love all of the tactical advice that Collins is getting on here as to what he should be doing, I'm sure that he will take note and try some of the suggestions and I find it disappointing that neither he nor Liam Rosenior thought of these ideas!

As an ex centre forward I can confidently say that he will be doing exactly what he has done throughout his career to score goals. He will be making the same runs, doing the same thing when the ball arrives at his feet and putting the same amount of effort into his game but sometimes the ball just doesn't go for you. It's natural to worry about not scoring but he will know that that is counter productive

The one thing that he shouldn't do is over analyse. Trust that it will come and don't try to be too precise. There will be goalies that dive over the ball or drop it at his feet and everything will fall into place. 

His luck will change

5 hours ago, Srg said:

I’m really struggling to see the tireless work everyone speaks of. He generally lets Sibley do his pressing, marks himself against a centre back and doesn’t move to want the ball to feet. He then has a Teflon first touch and the less said about the finishing the better. 

Now I’m hoping that confidence can affect things like hiding from the ball, first touch and finishing, and potentially we are a goal off his backside from a much improved player. That said, we simply must sign a striker this week. 

I think you should look a little harder. 2 or 3 of his missed chances have been lack of control but he was there, in the right place. Last night he made a chance for someone else with a neat thread left hand side just back from the 6 yard box. He always present defending when needed and clears/wins headers in our box. He’s not afraid to drop deep to collect the ball either. 

Of course we need another striker and it seems one is incoming but did you notice how effective Cybielski looked last night in his 10 min cameo. Stood up, looked fluid in movement. I’d like to see more of him, he looks stronger than a year ago. 

What we have here is a rebuilding job.

Collins has had a rough couple of seasons at Cardiff and it’s destroyed his confidence, you can see it when he gets a chance and misses.

We've got to rebuild his confidence and hopefully we will get close to the player the scored hatfuls for Luton.

Its just not happening for him at the moment, no matter how hard he tries. He’s contributing to the teams all round play, which is good and I think some fans overlook.

Ultimately he will need to start scoring soon, otherwise a game or so on the bench may be be needed to alleviate the pressure and doubt he clearly has on his shoulders.

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

What we have here is a rebuilding job.

Collins has had a rough couple of seasons at Cardiff and it’s destroyed his confidence, you can see it when he gets a chance and misses.

We've got to rebuild his confidence and hopefully we will get close to the player the scored hatfuls for Luton.

Its just not happening for him at the moment, no matter how hard he tries. He’s contributing to the teams all round play, which is good and I think some fans overlook.

Ultimately he will need to start scoring soon, otherwise a game or so on the bench may be be needed to alleviate the pressure and doubt he clearly has on his shoulders.

Yes, a lot of our moves start with his interventions.

I just can’t fathom how someone (and I include other forwards in the squad) can choose to play as a striker and not be able to hit a target eight yards wide from twelve yards out.

I agree with @Carnero if his play right now is in a team that is unbeaten in 7 and only has 1 defeat, imagine how much better it will get when he starts scoring.

From where we were a month and a half ago, I’m very happy with Collins as our number 9. If another player is bought in to rotate, fine. But McGoldrick isn’t that player, he needs to be playing as the number 10 to allow him to play his game. Right now, Collins is plenty for me. Just got to believe one will go in soon 

3 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

If we want to finish as high as possible, the main striker should be scoring at least one goal from the 60+ shots we've had in the last 4 games. 

It's no coincidence we scored two goals once he was off the field on Saturday. 

It's also no coincidence that by the last 10 minutes when we scored those two goals 10-man Peterborough's defence was hanging on exhausted in the heat. They were much less tired when Collins was on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, a lot of our moves start with his interventions.

I just can’t fathom how someone (and I include other forwards in the squad) can choose to play as a striker and not be able to hit a target eight yards wide from twelve yards out.

You mean the sort where a keeper and defender throw themselves at an instinctive volley, that instead of getting a lucky deflection in, goes wide of the goal? Like the shot he made against Oxford. The club even featured it under the tag “it’s coming collo”

He really does just need a bit of luck.

6 hours ago, rammieib said:

Absolutely. He puts in an awful lot of very good work, much of which doesn't get seen because fans are following the ball. he'll run wide, taking one or two defenders with him leaving space for others to take advantage of. First goal against Grimsby, good pass from Tommo, Collo to Dobbin (Collo then ran wide knowing NML was already central in the box), Dobbin to NML, defender just beats him to it and the ball rebounds of another defender onto the post and NML taps it itno the empty net. Collo had come out of the box and asked for the ball, Tommo obliged.

Might that just be the "problem"? He does so much work, going wide coming back deep etc..... shouldn't he spend more time in the box, round about where NML was for the first?

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

You mean the sort where a keeper and defender throw themselves at an instinctive volley, that instead of getting a lucky deflection in, goes wide of the goal? Like the shot he made against Oxford. The club even featured it under the tag “it’s coming collo”

He really does just need a bit of luck.

That chance had row z written all over it and he was really unlucky to hit the target and have it cleared off the line. If that defender isn't there we're all saying how amazing his finishing is.  

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

He's playing a part in a team thats still trying to gel, still trying to get to know each other. Big test for Liam how he handles it, stick or twist? Its probably made easier because we're winning, to start him on Saturday.

Some love from the crowd might help.

I thought the crowd were very generous and understanding last night.