Luke Plange - signed for Palace & loaned back

Jram

The theory of having new owners come in and giving a longer term contract is great. As is the idea that he’d benefit from first team football with us. But we all know that in reality, whatever the ownership situation, a PL club comes in for one of our kids and and we have precious little chance of keeping him. Delap, Gordon, Williams to name but three in the recent past.

They (or their advisers) don’t give a ? about first team football or long term development. They care about the big contract, the big commission and the big name. They don’t care if he languishes  in their u23s for a few years before going out on endless loans (if he doesn’t quite make it). The player themselves also - not surprisingly - no doubt thinks this is their way to the big time and that they’ll be playing every week before you know it. Who needs Championship or League 1 football!?

Hopefully we get a fee. In normal circumstances, this will also be the model moving forward anyway. Sustainability through selling our self-grown assets.

Edited by LazloW

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

It's forced upon us by the situation that we are in but it's hardly something to celebrate.

Those two players - along with others - could have formed the backbone of a great Derby County team in the future.

Or, at the very least, under different circumstances, raised many millions of pounds. Another sad day.

But same could be said for Delap & Gordon, both were offered new deals & rejected, both before administration. Who is to say Williams & Plange would sign new deals with us even if they could over Chelsea & Palace

Edited by DCFC1388

44 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If you think it's possible for us to sell Lawrence and loan him back, you're either mad or you should have been in charge of the Brexit negotiations.

I probably could have done a decent job on the Brexit negotiations actually ? anyway the principle was that if we were allowed by the EFL to sell and loan back players we would have been doing that with some of the out of contract players before today.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There wouldn’t be a summer auction if he's a free agent

Summer auction not quite but what they probably meant is that if he continues to do well and is a free agent then alot of teams will be in for him and he might turn down Palace for another club or demand alot higher wages. 

2 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Binned off by Arsenal and given a chance with us. Gets first team action and three goals into his career he's off. Thanks for the loyalty fella 

Don’t think he got binned off by Arsenal. Think he chose to leave to get closer to first team football sooner. Seems to have worked.

The career of a footballer is short and the pathway is difficult. He needs to do what he feels is best for him. Shame we are in this position, but it is what it is.

10 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Binned off by Arsenal and given a chance with us. Gets first team action and three goals into his career he's off. Thanks for the loyalty fella 

Bit OTT reaction to this? To be honest I don’t understand the loyalty thing, why should footballers be loyal? My job took me from unemployed to earning a wage, but if I got offered a better wage at somewhere better I’d be off. 

I think this is a good deal if it is for £1m as reported, he’s only getting minutes because of our situation. If he’s loaned back then that helps us out on two fronts, cash and keeping the lad.

24 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

But same could be said for Delap & Gordon, both were offered new deals & rejected, both before administration. Who is to say Williams & Plange would sign new deals with us even if they could over Chelsea & Palace

Yeah true and we were compensated for those two aswell but, as with Williams and Plange, I would still rather keep the players and see how they develop at our club.

The point I was trying to make is that, although we must lose these players whether through Administration or player agents or simply the glamour of the Premier League, the meagre amount of compensation we receive is not a cause for celebration and cannot - IMHO - be classed as "good business".

25 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Going or not, he is a prime example of how our scouting team is doing a sterling  job (even though that's not what people seem to think)

I'm not sure if we have separate departments for academy scouting, but whoever is in charge of bringing in academy cast-offs is doing a brilliant job.

In fact, isn't it Mel's stepson?

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

£1 million will pay the administrators costs for a few weeks I guess.

I am so sick of getting terrible news every day .

Its dragging me down ,every time some thing positive like the end to yesterdays finish to the match, right after it there’s news like a very good young striker leaving for peanuts.

I know what position we are in but it doesn’t make it any easier.