QPR (H) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

42 minutes ago, enachops said:

I agree with everyone saying Morrison was poor. It would have been nice to see Sibley central, roaming on the half turn as that’s where he’s best. It’s a shame he’s been off it the last 12 months or so. Hopefully he builds his confidence up more in the 23s.

Just scored 3 against Arsenal u23’s

4 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I think it shows what giving your manager a chance can achieve. Good friends with a QPR fan who was critical of his every move and wanted him gone until very recently.  

I think it comes down to being proven at this level. Usually this will give you more of a chance. Having something tangible that people can cling to.

Warburton did a very good job at Brentford earlier in his career and got a good reputation following that. QPR was probably viewed as a similar project. One where he could quietly operate, compared to other jobs he has taken with big clubs expecting a big splash.

You can see why QPR, who are known for wobbling and churning through managers, have given him the time and patience.

It’s quite different putting your trust and faith into a steady hand compared to someone with hardly any coaching background to speak of.

39 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Difficult to defend Ravel after tonight but I do think there's a player in there. The biggest issue is his mind - get that right (and Rooney has the best chance of doing so) & he could be an asset up the park. He has vision, technique & is comfortable carrying the ball - all attributes you need in front players & we saw this from him in pre-season/earlier on in the season.

Don't disagree about including Ebosele in the starting line up - we are a very one paced team without Festy & it keeps defenders honest. I think he would offer more than Knight at RM even if I think his best position is wing back.

With each performance by Morrison that I have had to endure this season. The more I'm convinced that what Alex Ferguson said about him, was pure BS and was just a sales pitch to generate as much money as possible when Man U. wanted Morrison off their books.

50 minutes ago, angieram said:

They seem to be a bit of a bogey team for us. Remember them scoring twice in added time a few seasons ago, Wembley (of course) and do we ever win in Shepherd's Bush? 

Charlie Austin totally devoid of any class, too.

We did get those two lovely injury time goals against them in 2019 mind

5 hours ago, Tombo said:

I thought we deserved at least a point if I'm honest. Not that we can have any complaints because we'd have been very very lucky to get all 3 points but on balance I think a draw would have been fair. They were hardly battering us were they?

Felt a bit like that too. Compared to Bournemouth say, they wasted a number of passes at times, their danger was always there though. Maybe last night was one tough game too many on the bounce and after a few hours sleep, I’m also coming to the view Morrison disrupted our balance, too many times nobody was showing in their box.

Maybe it’s Q.P.R that makes it feel this way, but I didn’t think they were anything special either, but we rarely threatened them after the goal, so can’t complain we lost. Just a bit gutting it was at the end.

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Well Kazim Richards outscored the now lauded Andre Gray last season. So I think that is an exaggeration to say we have no goalscorer.

We do have players in the squad that can score goals.

But perhaps not the coaching, tactics or style of play that can make it a likely occurrence.

I will freely admit our attacking options have never looked the same since Martin left.

However are we getting the best out of what we have?

Yes we are. 

You know sometimes you lose matches because, overall, your opponent has better players. Their front 3 were quality. For the first time this season Davies and Jags were genuinely stretched. Fozzy was outgunned by a strong pacy opposite number. Shinnie is a warrior, but they had warriors too. 

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think it comes down to being proven at this level. Usually this will give you more of a chance. Having something tangible that people can cling to.

Warburton did a very good job at Brentford earlier in his career and got a good reputation following that. QPR was probably viewed as a similar project. One where he could quietly operate, compared to other jobs he has taken with big clubs expecting a big splash.

You can see why QPR, who are known for wobbling and churning through managers, have given him the time and patience.

It’s quite different putting your trust and faith into a steady hand compared to someone with hardly any coaching background to speak of.

Coaches/Managers have to start somewhere Lampard started here why not Rooney? who exactly are you suggesting we get instead of Rooney ? This proven,tangible,experienced,steady hand that you speak of yet have no names ??with absolutely no guarantees of success....like ?? Hughton? Mcarthy?Jokanovic?? All failed and sacked recently so lets hear your suggestions rather than just bleating on about Rooneys so called short comings

Edited by S8TY

Everyone starts somewhere

29 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Coaches/Managers have to start somewhere Lampard started here why not Rooney? who exactly are you suggesting we get instead of Rooney ? This proven,tangible,experienced,steady hand that you speak of yet have no names ??with absolutely no guarantees of success....like ?? Hughton? Mcarthy?Jokanovic?? All failed and sacked recently so lets hear your suggestions rather than just bleating on about Rooneys so called short comings

Absolutely. Rooney has done an incredible job with the resources at his disposal and in an environment which is hardly conducive to team harmony.

His press conferences have improved and he’s honest about our performances.

Last night was littered with personal errors from the players. We should expect that from time to time. After all, we are not a top championship team.

Let Rooney and his players regroup and get behind them on Saturday.

That’s my view anyway.

I think my post went over your head. 

At half time, I was as buzzing as buzzing is likely to get this season!

Very impressed.  Almost excited.  A little disappointed (but not despondent) that we weren't further ahead.

No idea what went wrong second half.  I suspect a very good QPR just upped their level, and proved what the league table shows us... that they are better than us.  But then I don't do scapegoats, or dissect our performances, looking for frailties. 

Would I have taken 4pts from the last 9 available?  Considering all 3 oppos. hell yeah!  But there's no taking away the fact that last night's result is a big downer for us all.  It's been a very good week or so, on the whole.  If it had been QPR, then Bournemouth, then Fulham, we'd be delighted... and relieved... this morning!  
Play like we have been doing for 5/6ths of the last 3 games, and we'll end the season with a bit of pride.

Oh... And I stood in dogzhit as I rounded the last corner for home.  It was hiding under the last clump of snow!  Didn't notice until I stood on the (inside) doormat, stripping off my boots & winter layers!
The dirty bazterds!   ?

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I always rated Dawkins.  Very hard to get the ball off and used to hold possession to bring others into play.  I'm not seeing any attributes to Morrison at all to be honest other than we can't lose money on a transfer fee this time. 

Dawkins did it higher up the pitch and could play off martin and bring fozzy into play .. i dont see any of that from morrison, he looks lovely and comfy on the ball when he comes deep for it but we already have bird doing that for us.. he doesnt really have a position where u can say thats his best 

25 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Dawkins did it higher up the pitch and could play off martin and bring fozzy into play .. i dont see any of that from morrison, he looks lovely and comfy on the ball when he comes deep for it but we already have bird doing that for us.. he doesnt really have a position where u can say thats his best 

Playing high up the pitch may as well have Sibley. He's frustrating too but Morrison has had plenty of chances at other clubs too. Looked handy as a playmaker early season but looks surplus to requirements atm. 

9 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

... Their winner was frustratingly late...

Frustrating?  Late?

Don't give me that!  That ain't frustrating!  That ain't late!  Jeez!

You want frustratingly late?  I'll give you frustratingly late...

CompleteVioletKrill-size_restricted.gif

Erm... we are over it now, right?   ?‍♂️
It is ok to joke about it now, yeah?  ?‍♂️
Oh c'mon.  It's been 7 years now!
And let's face it... It all turned out ok in the end!  ?
Let's hug! 

Edited by Mucker1884

2 hours ago, jono said:

You know sometimes you lose matches because, overall, your opponent has better players. Their front 3 were quality. For the first time this season Davies and Jags were genuinely stretched. Fozzy was outgunned by a strong pacy opposite number. Shinnie is a warrior, but they had warriors too. 

We looked ragged at the back at times. We need to aim for 3 points each game but stopping the oppo scoring is as important as scoring ourselves. Fozzie played far too high today, no point asking him to be Buchanan. Or blaming him if he can’t do it

We worked bloody hard in the first half, closing down their back line every time (hunting in twos and threes) but that could only continue for so long before everyone started flagging.

QPR's obvious in-depth quality showed once that happened.

4 points out of 9 against three genuine promotion contenders is a decent return and I think we'll play a lot worse and win games.

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Yes, they do. I guess it begs the question whether the Championship is the right place for that.

In fairness, I would have said the exact same about Lampard. He got shown up for his lack of experience fairly often too.

I am not bleating on about Rooney’s shortcomings any more or less than I would about any other manager we have had.

You praise the good - the team are working hard and showing spirit - and criticise the bad - we are throwing games away.

Some people choose to single out players - Roos, Forsyth, Lawrence, Morrison and so on.

I just think having Rooney as manager has been a more important factor. The difference between us winning 4 out of 20 rather than say 8-9.

You mention three proven Championship managers as evidence that experience means nothing. The common denominator in all three? None of them were given time or support to turn things around. The first sign of a bad run and all three were gone.

For what it’s worth, I would take all three of them over Rooney. As well as countless others. Two of whom have recently ended up at fellow Championship clubs.

There is no guarantee of success, that is true, but you increase your chances with a more proven managerial choice.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, they do. I guess it begs the question whether the Championship is the right place for that.

In fairness, I would have said the exact same about Lampard. He got shown up for his lack of experience fairly often too.

I am not bleating on about Rooney’s shortcomings any more or less than I would about any other manager we have had.

You praise the good - the team are working hard and showing spirit - and criticise the bad - we are throwing games away.

Some people choose to single out players - Roos, Forsyth, Lawrence, Morrison and so on.

I just think having Rooney as manager has been a more important factor. The difference between us winning 4 out of 20 rather than say 8-9.

You mention three proven Championship managers as evidence that experience means nothing. The common denominator in all three? None of them were given time or support to turn things around. The first sign of a bad run and all three were gone.

For what it’s worth, I would take all three of them over Rooney. As well as countless others. Two of whom have recently ended up at fellow Championship clubs.

There is no guarantee of success, that is true, but you increase your chances with a more proven managerial choice.

What is it about this job that you think would attract these experienced managers?

The tiny wage we’d be able to offer? The ability to only be able to use academy lads or cast offs nobody else wants? The transfer embargo? Having to deal with telling kids we aren’t allowed to pick them because of red tape? The guaranteed relegation on their CV?

Frankly you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think anyone experienced would want this job. 

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

What is it about this job that you think would attract these experienced managers?

The tiny wage we’d be able to offer? The ability to only be able to use academy lads or cast offs nobody else wants? The transfer embargo? Having to deal with telling kids we aren’t allowed to pick them because of red tape? The guaranteed relegation on their CV?

Frankly you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think anyone experienced would want this job. 

Managers want to work, managers want to stay active, managers like a challenge.

It’s for that reason managers like Wilder and Cooper have taken jobs at Middlesbrough and Forest when they were not particularly attractive.

If the Derby job became available tomorrow, we’d have plenty of interest. We are not losing game after game. Anyone with experience would look and see that there is potential to turn a generally competitive and spirited team into a winning one.