QPR (H) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

2 hours ago, QPRJill said:

Your team played a good match last night, but even without Zamora the overall best team won ?. Shinnie, Lawrence, Byrne and Ebosele were the stand out players for you imo.  

You forgot Thompson. Also, can you offer any explanation as to why Charlie Austin behaves like a 7 year old child ? I thought he was a no compromise bricklayer.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, they do. I guess it begs the question whether the Championship is the right place for that.

In fairness, I would have said the exact same about Lampard. He got shown up for his lack of experience fairly often too.

I am not bleating on about Rooney’s shortcomings any more or less than I would about any other manager we have had.

You praise the good - the team are working hard and showing spirit - and criticise the bad - we are throwing games away.

Some people choose to single out players - Roos, Forsyth, Lawrence, Morrison and so on.

I just think having Rooney as manager has been a more important factor. The difference between us winning 4 out of 20 rather than say 8-9.

You mention three proven Championship managers as evidence that experience means nothing. The common denominator in all three? None of them were given time or support to turn things around. The first sign of a bad run and all three were gone.

For what it’s worth, I would take all three of them over Rooney. As well as countless others. Two of whom have recently ended up at fellow Championship clubs.

There is no guarantee of success, that is true, but you increase your chances with a more proven managerial choice.

I honestly reckon you’re wrong. Not because there aren’t better managers with more tactical genius, which maybe true in certain circumstances; but because Rooney has done an exceptional job inspiring these players to play as a unit, to play for him and each other, and to largely follow instructions. I sincerely doubt any other manager, we could reasonably hope to get, could have done that. 

Last night was a tough one, player for player they had more than we have, but we ran them close for half the game. Against Bournemouth and Fulham our eager 2 litre 4 cylinder beat the odds against those with 6 cylinders and another 1000cc. 

I do want to see how we shape up against more pedestrian opponents but I remain convinced that Rooney is doing a great job with what he has AND I retain considerable  confidence that the young guns in our team are going to get better as individuals.

Bird, Knight, Ebosele, Thomson, Buchanan, Watson … The oldest is 21 … Think about it and then think who understands their game and potential better than anyone.  

2 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

They have 5 players last night who had played in the prem in the past 18months.

We had 1 and that was a 39yo CB.

Yes and it shown as well QPR looked a more complete team and looked dangerous every attack you could see the result coming it was just a matter of when and could we nick a point in the end

17 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Unlucky tonight, if we had took some early chances it may of been different but with the depth upfront they always were going to get and convert a chance. Their winner was a great finish as well. Thought Rooneys team selection was a bit odd with Morrison starting, he was out of position but also didn’t look like he gave a dam, not the attitude we need in this team. 

Yes agree Morrison was god dam awful and should of been dragged off at halftime as soon as Ebbosile came on we looked more dangerous although i cant remember CKR actually touching the ball as well  

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'm not sure they would have - he gained no advantage being offside when the first cross was blocked, and was certainly onside from the second, so where's the offence?

I criticised the officials last night for other poor & inadequate officiating, but I can't pull them up for that one.

Huge advantage gained. I think it was Fozzy who ended up being unable to block the second cross because he'd had to block the first one to the offside player.

31 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Yes agree Morrison was god dam awful and should of been dragged off at halftime as soon as Ebbosile came on we looked more dangerous although i cant remember CKR actually touching the ball as well  

Yeah I’m not sure CKR did also, he needs a goal to get him going again

Edited by TexasRam

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, they do. I guess it begs the question whether the Championship is the right place for that.

In fairness, I would have said the exact same about Lampard. He got shown up for his lack of experience fairly often too.

I am not bleating on about Rooney’s shortcomings any more or less than I would about any other manager we have had.

You praise the good - the team are working hard and showing spirit - and criticise the bad - we are throwing games away.

Some people choose to single out players - Roos, Forsyth, Lawrence, Morrison and so on.

I just think having Rooney as manager has been a more important factor. The difference between us winning 4 out of 20 rather than say 8-9.

You mention three proven Championship managers as evidence that experience means nothing. The common denominator in all three? None of them were given time or support to turn things around. The first sign of a bad run and all three were gone.

For what it’s worth, I would take all three of them over Rooney. As well as countless others. Two of whom have recently ended up at fellow Championship clubs.

There is no guarantee of success, that is true, but you increase your chances with a more proven managerial choice.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff Hughton and McCarthy over Rooney , give over

Well I'm back after a torrid week - more on that in another thread.

It was a great game of football last night, but we ended up being beaten because of 4 key moments. Number 1: A wayward clearance was turned into an attack by a brilliant flick of the ball in the centre circle by Max Bird, with the ball then being crossed to Tom Lawrence in the box. And not for the first or last time he lost his footing. Put that chance away and its game over. Number 2: their first goal came because of very sloppy defending. Their counter attack was very quick and effective, but they had been playing like that in the first half without really threatening. Shinnie backing off was the issue. Number 3: Ebosele threatening down the right, tussling with two defenders was being pulled back for what seemed like 10 or 15 yards, and was a blatantly clear free kick, and a yellow - I can't remember if any QPR defenders could have got to him, but some were saying it could have been a red. That was a major point in the match. Number 4: This one hasn't been mentioned, as far as I know. We attacked down our left and Tom was running onto the ball right near the corner flag when the QPR defender simply bumped into him, and gave him a two handed shove which put him off balance. The defender ran off with the ball and its game over for us. We should have defended properly, but there shouldn't have been an attack to defend.

Surprising for me, (and to me!) the ref had a great game in the first half, despite him missing two or three clear handballs, and he lasted until about the 50th minute before he flipped into EFL purge mode. Knight was threatening down the right and was dispensing with the challenges of the defender when the player behind him simply took Jason's feet away. Definite free kick, definite yellow card, given the threat Jason was posing. The ref let it go. From then on he kept reminding us that no matter how good QPR may be, they are still a bunch of Southern Softies who dive and whinge at every opportunity, and they got most of the decisions from then onwards. 

Ultimately if we defend like we did for those two goals, then we aren't likely to win, and without a consistent striker the struggle continues. Tom had his chances, and took one, but could and should have done better with the other two. But Morrison excepted the lads busted a gut yet again, but it was a match too far. Its not so much the number of games played in a short space of time, more that it was 3 games against arguably the best in the division. If we had played QPR before the others we may well have fared better, but the other two matches took too much out of us, particularly mentally, which is why we saw so many sloppy passes. I can only assume that Ebosele didn't start because Wayne is looking after him - play him too much and he could burn out and throw his future away. The same probably applies to Watson and to a degree Sibley, although both of those could have shown Morrison what is required of him. 

Right.  Brush our hands together, dust ourselves down and go again. If we play like we have been doing, we should see start bringing some points in, then who knows? 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Huge advantage gained. I think it was Fozzy who ended up being unable to block the second cross because he'd had to block the first one to the offside player.

I don't think that's relevant, but I'd be interested to hear what a qualified ref thought of it because it's an unusual one. 

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Managers want to work, managers want to stay active, managers like a challenge.

It’s for that reason managers like Wilder and Cooper have taken jobs at Middlesbrough and Forest when they were not particularly attractive.

If the Derby job became available tomorrow, we’d have plenty of interest. We are not losing game after game. Anyone with experience would look and see that there is potential to turn a generally competitive and spirited team into a winning one.

Like a challenge .. were certainly that alright lol 

15 hours ago, jono said:

I honestly reckon you’re wrong. Not because there aren’t better managers with more tactical genius, which maybe true in certain circumstances; but because Rooney has done an exceptional job inspiring these players to play as a unit, to play for him and each other, and to largely follow instructions. I sincerely doubt any other manager, we could reasonably hope to get, could have done that. 

Last night was a tough one, player for player they had more than we have, but we ran them close for half the game. Against Bournemouth and Fulham our eager 2 litre 4 cylinder beat the odds against those with 6 cylinders and another 1000cc. 

I do want to see how we shape up against more pedestrian opponents but I remain convinced that Rooney is doing a great job with what he has AND I retain considerable  confidence that the young guns in our team are going to get better as individuals.

Bird, Knight, Ebosele, Thomson, Buchanan, Watson … The oldest is 21 … Think about it and then think who understands their game and potential better than anyone.  

Great post

20 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'm not sure they would have - he gained no advantage being offside when the first cross was blocked, and was certainly onside from the second, so where's the offence?

I criticised the officials last night for other poor & inadequate officiating, but I can't pull them up for that one.

I've just watched the highlights on YouTube, I can't see this 'cross aimed to the back stick where the player was a yard off, but the cross was blocked so the ball went back to the winger', but based on that, there's absolutely no offside offence (as the laws state, its not an offence itself to be in an offside position). 

For the actual cross, no offences at all from that point onwards, so goal is good to stand. 

16 hours ago, Crewton said:

I don't think that's relevant, but I'd be interested to hear what a qualified ref thought of it because it's an unusual one. 

I've just given my input (as an amateur qualified ref). 

From the blocked shot, there's no offence just because a player is in an offside position. 

They've not become 'active' through the laws, and the actual cross, definitely no offences.