QPR (H) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Managers want to work, managers want to stay active, managers like a challenge.

It’s for that reason managers like Wilder and Cooper have taken jobs at Middlesbrough and Forest when they were not particularly attractive.

If the Derby job became available tomorrow, we’d have plenty of interest. We are not losing game after game. Anyone with experience would look and see that there is potential to turn a generally competitive and spirited team into a winning one.

With all due respect, the Middlesbrough and Forest jobs are not even on the same planet as the job here.

Boro were basically the only non parachute team to spend any cash in the summer, Forest have a really good squad as much as that is annoying to say.

”Not particularly attractive” just doesn’t really cut it when it comes to us.

11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

On balance, you have to credit Rooney and the players for their response in recent games.

The -21 verdict could have seen the team completely implode. But instead we have seen a lot of bravery and endeavour on display.

Of course, it’s frustrating to throw away another game from a winning position, but sadly that is where our lack of experience shows both on and off the field.

It’s sad because we have shown we can compete, but obviously we are missing something that will see us turn good contests into results.

We just don’t have any quality forwards. 2 would make such a difference to this side 

21 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Managers want to work, managers want to stay active, managers like a challenge.

It’s for that reason managers like Wilder and Cooper have taken jobs at Middlesbrough and Forest when they were not particularly attractive.

If the Derby job became available tomorrow, we’d have plenty of interest. We are not losing game after game. Anyone with experience would look and see that there is potential to turn a generally competitive and spirited team into a winning one.

11 minutes ago, nottingram said:

With all due respect, the Middlesbrough and Forest jobs are not even on the same planet as the job here.

Boro were basically the only non parachute team to spend any cash in the summer, Forest have a really good squad as much as that is annoying to say.

”Not particularly attractive” just doesn’t really cut it when it comes to us.

I think you'll find that the "Not very attractive" comment was aimed at Wilder & Cooper! 
I was about to say that ugly people have a right to work, too, y'know!    ?

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I think you'll find that the "Not very attractive" comment was aimed at Wilder & Cooper! 
I was about to say that ugly people have a right to work, too, y'know!    ?

To extend that analogy, Steve Cooper is the human version of the Derby job. Not even on the same planet of “not particularly attractive” as Rooney or Wilder!

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, they do. I guess it begs the question whether the Championship is the right place for that.

In fairness, I would have said the exact same about Lampard. He got shown up for his lack of experience fairly often too.

I am not bleating on about Rooney’s shortcomings any more or less than I would about any other manager we have had.

You praise the good - the team are working hard and showing spirit - and criticise the bad - we are throwing games away.

Some people choose to single out players - Roos, Forsyth, Lawrence, Morrison and so on.

I just think having Rooney as manager has been a more important factor. The difference between us winning 4 out of 20 rather than say 8-9.

You mention three proven Championship managers as evidence that experience means nothing. The common denominator in all three? None of them were given time or support to turn things around. The first sign of a bad run and all three were gone.

For what it’s worth, I would take all three of them over Rooney. As well as countless others. Two of whom have recently ended up at fellow Championship clubs.

There is no guarantee of success, that is true, but you increase your chances with a more proven managerial choice.

I don’t know what it is but something tells me you’re not 100% behind the manager 

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Playing high up the pitch may as well have Sibley. He's frustrating too but Morrison has had plenty of chances at other clubs too. Looked handy as a playmaker early season but looks surplus to requirements atm. 

I don’t think he works with Lawrence on the pitch. They are too similar. He looked like an aimless CF last night. Kind of lost.
For me Tommo has taken his midfield “instigator” role and Lawrence is the drifty 10. He can play either of those roles but he isn’t a CF and it showed last night

On 29/11/2021 at 12:02, Addingham Ram said:

I'm not sure what other clubs may or may not be deducted points this season, but others gave suggested it is a possibility, and in these uncertain times, how can anybody rule it out?

My point however Ram1988 was specifically aimed at the comment on our goal difference being superior to the teams in and around the bottom of the table. In most cases it is, but Reading's goal difference is better than all of the teams around them except ours.

Any other clubs being deducted points this season, if they were sat mid table before such a points deduction would in theory have a much better goal difference than say Barnsley or Peterborough.

So my point was, that whilst our goal difference looks like it would give us an advantage over teams genuinely in a relegation battle because they are poor, it might not give us as much of an advantage over any teams that are in a relegation battle due to a points deduction, like Reading game. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I agree. You are right there, we also have 20 points to make up first before we can even consider goal difference:(

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

There is no guarantee of success, that is true, but you increase your chances with a more proven managerial choice.

Absolutely minimal evidence of this....Mourinho at Man Utd,Tottenham is just one very good example and Hughton,Mcarthy,Jokanovic are examples too and there are many others....name a manager you'd replace Rooney with .....go on ....I'd like to know who ?

Edited by S8TY

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, they do. I guess it begs the question whether the Championship is the right place for that.

In fairness, I would have said the exact same about Lampard. He got shown up for his lack of experience fairly often too.

I am not bleating on about Rooney’s shortcomings any more or less than I would about any other manager we have had.

You praise the good - the team are working hard and showing spirit - and criticise the bad - we are throwing games away.

Some people choose to single out players - Roos, Forsyth, Lawrence, Morrison and so on.

I just think having Rooney as manager has been a more important factor. The difference between us winning 4 out of 20 rather than say 8-9.

You mention three proven Championship managers as evidence that experience means nothing. The common denominator in all three? None of them were given time or support to turn things around. The first sign of a bad run and all three were gone.

For what it’s worth, I would take all three of them over Rooney. As well as countless others. Two of whom have recently ended up at fellow Championship clubs.

Think this is a bit harsh on Rooney this season. The squad is very thin and we are putting in young inexperienced players and forcing them to gain experience quickly. Lack of strikers. Defence has been pretty solid for the main part. Yesterday, too many  sloppy passes etc, wouldn’t say it was down to tactics or Rooney. 
I don’t know if other managers would do better or worse than Rooney but I think Rooney has been dealt a tough hand this season. Also, Derby are a battling team and the times we haven’t turned up or got hammered in the match seem to be rare. 

Bristol City forum are praising Wayne, and he is doing a fantastic job against all the odds come what may we all should give him our support, we cannot afford another manager and none would take the job under the present circumstances and risk their reputation.

Wayne should be praised for his total commitment too Derby County, along with all the players, who else would have signed Jags on £4500 a week and its not only on the pitch but off it, passing on his knowledge to the young lads.

Thank you Wayne for giving your all to this great club.

16 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Think this is a bit harsh on Rooney this season. The squad is very thin and we are putting in young inexperienced players and forcing them to gain experience quickly. Lack of strikers. Defence has been pretty solid for the main part. Yesterday, too many  sloppy passes etc, wouldn’t say it was down to tactics or Rooney. 
I don’t know if other managers would do better or worse than Rooney but I think Rooney has been dealt a tough hand this season. Also, Derby are a battling team and the times we haven’t turned up or got hammered in the match seem to be rare. 

The bare minimum i expect to see as a fan is effort and i see that in abundance...Mac is here to help Rooney and speaking to fans from other clubs at work they said that whenever they've seen the Rams recently we are playing some decent stuff....with what he have....and i agree...but we are short of a decent striker and if one or two were added we'd see more points coming our way I think....Jourdan tried to say that Andre Gray was not better than CKR based off of last seasons goal stats but i know who'd id rather have out of the two.....for the record I think CKR done very well last season but we need better now and this season has seen him be much less effective 

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

The bare minimum i expect to see as a fan is effort and i see that in abundance...Mac is here to help Rooney and speaking to fans from other clubs at work they said that whenever they've seen the Rams recently we are playing some decent stuff....with what he have....and i agree...but we are short of a decent striker and if one or two were added we'd see more points coming our way I think....Jourdan tried to say that Andre Gray was not better than CKR based off of last seasons goal stats but i know who'd id rather have out of the two.....for the record I think CKR done very well last season but we need better now and this season has seen him be much less effective 

True, and they also have Charlie Austin who is a quality striker in the championship. 

15 hours ago, rammieib said:

Having just seen the QPR winner, that’s not offside for me. Not sure which Derby one you refer to.

Two players grabbing each other’s shirts and then no penalty being given is the right decision!!

The winning goal was a mile offside. Clear in real time watching live. Checked on the replay. The winger aimed a cross to the back stick where the player was a yard off, but the cross was blocked so the ball went back to the winger. I was astonished the lino didn't flag. Instead the winger crossed again to the same player, now onside, who headed against the post. VAR would definitely have ruled it out.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The winning goal was a mile offside. Clear in real time watching live. Checked on the replay. The winger aimed a cross to the back stick where the player was a yard off, but the cross was blocked so the ball went back to the winger. I was astonished the lino didn't flag. Instead the winger crossed again to the same player, now onside, who headed against the post. VAR would definitely have ruled it out.

I'm not sure they would have - he gained no advantage being offside when the first cross was blocked, and was certainly onside from the second, so where's the offence?

I criticised the officials last night for other poor & inadequate officiating, but I can't pull them up for that one.

21 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'm not sure they would have - he gained no advantage being offside when the first cross was blocked, and was certainly onside from the second, so where's the offence?

I criticised the officials last night for other poor & inadequate officiating, but I can't pull them up for that one.

For both goals, we had plenty of players back but in each instance players were unaware of the danger behind them. First Shinnie, then Bird.

It was always pretty obvious that Gray was going to tee up a right footed shot but no one closed him down.

However, had we scored either of those goals we would be enthusing about the finish not picking on the defending.