QPR (H) Matchday Thread

ThePrisoner

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Yes we are but hey, don't let it stop you sniping at Rooney at every opportunity.

Are we though?

Moments from magic from Lawrence aside, who is excelling in this team?

Sibley, Jozwiak and Morrison are all going backwards in terms of influence. Baldock has struggled. Kazim too.

It has to be a concern that if Lawrence has an off day, our hopes of winning games disappear with him.

Would a better coach get more out of what we have? I think it’s a fair question, not necessarily a swipe at Rooney.

7 minutes ago, tinman said:

Disappointing to lose, but anyone would have taken 4 points from these last three games a couple of weeks ago. 
Thompson excellent again as was Bird. 
shinnie seemed to run out of steam halfway through the second half and looked like he was running in treacle. 
morrison needs to play off someone if he’s going to be high up the pitch. 
bynre is still travelling somewhere in the west stand trying to work out where Gray went when he scored. 
It was a game we could have won. We created openings and chances but they’re a good team even if they do have a massive rick up front. 

Exactly.

I’m obviously disappointed but if we fail to pull off the biggest miracle in football history it won’t be because we “only” picked up 4 four points in three games against the top three. It will because we dropped those points against Peterborough, Barnsley, Millwall, Preston and Luton.

45 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I do think we reached a stage where we stop using Morrison as a starter because when I look at it he can’t last longer than 60 mins even when he is involved whilst he isn’t actually contributing anything for a very long time. I tend to think that we would gain more by playing one of the youngsters in that position especially sibley 

If you can only play one 60 minute player, I would rather it was Ebosele. 60 minutes of him from kick off would have seen a much better contribution.

Tough one to take tonight. Don’t think we deserved it. They’re a good team and pushed us all game. We stood firm first half and limited them to few chances before finishing the half strongly ourselves. After they equalised we dug in and had another good spell. Then the subs were made and he went for it, could’ve scored the winner before they went down the other end and snatched it. I agree with the posters that say their striking options are the main difference. 2 or 3 times in the first half Fozzy put outstanding balls into the box to no one, a good striker would’ve made sure he was there in the space. 

It would be harsh to question Rooney tactically when we’ve competed well against the top 3 but the Morrison experiment didn’t work. Felt for him as thought he worked hard but couldn’t get in the game. He’s not quick enough to play in that role nor big enough to physically compete. But Rooney has no options. Kazim has been woeful since coming back from injury, Baldock and Stretton are out. Whatever he does isn’t likely to change things so much. 

Got some more winnable games coming up,  hope they can pick up some points and start to make things interesting again.

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Austin, Gray or Dykes would indeed all add something to our team.

But they would also need the service to boot. The question is, would they get it in this team and under this manager?

They would add a very strange nob head who likes to stand in front of kids making crying motions with his hands, someone with very dubious and unpleasant characteristics in the pretty recent past and someone with concrete feet who could barely trap a barrage balloon at 2mph. I'm alright to be honest.  ?

27 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Austin, Gray or Dykes would indeed all add something to our team.

But they would also need the service to boot. The question is, would they get it in this team and under this manager?

Haha here comes the joyous Jourdan as soon as we lose you’re on here ….we don’t have a decent striker what else which is blaringly obvious do you want to know???

I agree with everyone saying Morrison was poor. It would have been nice to see Sibley central, roaming on the half turn as that’s where he’s best. It’s a shame he’s been off it the last 12 months or so. Hopefully he builds his confidence up more in the 23s. 

Thompson good again. He picks up so many second balls. I do think he can be more adventurous with his passing on occasions, I think he has it in him.

Cant fault the effort and desire, but we lacked quality. Bird had his first bad game, and we got pulled apart on occasions by a good QPR side. It happens and will happen with such a small squad. 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

If you can only play one 60 minute player, I would rather it was Ebosele. 60 minutes of him from kick off would have seen a much better contribution.

I’m just guessing Rooney didn’t really want to bring Festy on at all, other than for maybe the 10-15 minutes he got if needed. After the last 2 games he looked genuinely knackered at Fulham and under any other circumstances would’ve been rested, but for our threadbare squad and lack of forward options.

41 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Disappointed we couldn't take something from tonight, but as soon as I saw Morrison starting with no striker I knew it would be tough going, playing that system works if the 2 supporting Lawrence are work horses and that has never been Morrison's game, it needed Ebosele on from the start or change it up to compete with their top striker options and have a back 5, would have prevented the 1st goal fir definite.

The system WR uses with full backs providing the width totally relies on the midfielder covering, watch a replay of Shinnie, he realises he's got Willock running in behind, busts a gut to get back, but when Austin doesn't cross 1st time the danger should have gone, but his midfielder instinct kicks in and he sees another player running to the edge of the box so he moves to him rather than make up the 3 yrds to take Willock out of the game, Austin sees him unmarked as a result and picks him out, good cross, great finish, but totally preventable. 

2nd goal, you just have to doff your hat to, got away with Chair heading it on the post but what a great finish.  The difference having a choice of striking options and the nous to use the subs wisely, something WR seems to struggle with IMO. 

Generally though, we reverted to 1st half Bournemouth and constantly looked to pass it back instead of forward and it always leads to us being put under that much pressure that we concede goals, WR needs to watch the Bournemouth game back and how we changed it 2nd half by looking forwards with passes instead of backwards as 1st option, if we keep going back,we will keep conceding goals and losing games.

If you read the Rooney post match quotes then he DID know that there were problems with the general play that he was exhorting the team to fix. 

Whether he could have helped further by tactical tweaks and/or earlier subs is moot. 

I'm fed up as I don't like losing to QPR and it's stopped our momentum in its tracks. Boo...... 

Didn't think we were very good tonight and were second best most of the game. After the great result against Bournemouth and effort in midweek it all looked a bit flat. One meaningful shot - and that went in - but I don't remember their keeper being troubled other than that.

Offered very little in the final third all game and second half after they scored we looked caught in two minds regards going forward/worried about being caught on the break, and as a result did neither very well. Defensively it looked a bit desperate at times.  

Their winner was frustratingly late, but I don't think we could have argued had we been two or three down by then. Fair play to QPR, they looked decent.

29 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

My opinion, I wouldn't waste my time on him in that role, play Lawrence there with a striker, or Sibley, we saw Ravel do again today what he's done several times when he does have the ball in the no 10 position when he passed straight to their defender when it was 1 nil, could have carried the ball or actually pass it to Lawrence which was his intention. Just not good enough, doesn't work hard enough and slows the game too much, we need high energy players on the pitch to make up for lack of overall attacking quality, which is why Knight and Ebosele look much better options than Ravel 

Difficult to defend Ravel after tonight but I do think there's a player in there. The biggest issue is his mind - get that right (and Rooney has the best chance of doing so) & he could be an asset up the park. He has vision, technique & is comfortable carrying the ball - all attributes you need in front players & we saw this from him in pre-season/earlier on in the season.

Don't disagree about including Ebosele in the starting line up - we are a very one paced team without Festy & it keeps defenders honest. I think he would offer more than Knight at RM even if I think his best position is wing back.

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If you read the Rooney post match quotes then he DID know that there were problems with the general play that he was exhorting the team to fix. 

Whether he could have helped further by tactical tweaks and/or earlier subs is moot. 

I'm fed up as I don't like losing to QPR and it's stopped our momentum in its tracks. Boo...... 

They seem to be a bit of a bogey team for us. Remember them scoring twice in added time a few seasons ago, Wembley (of course) and do we ever win in Shepherd's Bush? 

Charlie Austin totally devoid of any class, too.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I think that’s the benefit of having a good coach with experience and savvy at this level.

QPR do have some good individuals but I think what we saw tonight shows what difference a good Championship manager can make.

Warburton has been at QPR for almost three years and tonight it showed.

I think it shows what giving your manager a chance can achieve. Good friends with a QPR fan who was critical of his every move and wanted him gone until very recently.  

34 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Haha here comes the joyous Jourdan as soon as we lose you’re on here ….we don’t have a decent striker what else which is blaringly obvious do you want to know???

I was away in Scotland on a nice break. Maybe I should go back and we’ll start winning again.

Having a decent striker is an issue but it’s far from the only issue. Clearly we can’t expect Lawrence to sustain his current form and worryingly Kazim has really struggled.

But will one player change everything when so many others are struggling to impress?

What’s to say a ‘decent striker’ will actually do well in this team?