Long Keogh piece in the Guardian

ariotofmyown

He thought Lawrence was sober? What an absolute load of tosh. In the grounds of the law he won (I hate the fact that appeal cannot be appealed as I always look at it as 1-1 if you lose the original case and Win an appeal) but he couldn’t fulfil his contract, I still support the club on this one.

After he refuses a significantly reduced contract offer, I’d have done the same thing.

I’ll be amazed if he’s ever seen this money. Unless someone has five million, we will never know…

Isn't the point here, that Keogh was the Club Captain, and the senior person who should

have made sure that the younger players didn't get in their cars - over the limit. I do

accept that this is the first i've heard of his personal loss the week before , which would

contribute somewhat, to his state of mind at the time!

I’m not sure I have liked so many posts on one single thread. 

the bloke is crazy….does he genuinely believe that people actually think what he is saying is true….!? I guess if It helps him sleep at night. 

*********, so glad he has gone…wish I was there to boo him every crap touch he makes when he comes back for Blackpool. 

best quote was the bit about coming back to Derby…… get a grip son.

I think a lot of responsibility lies with the management on that night, and that includes the captain. Why on earth are Lawrence and Bennett driving to a night like that? Knowing their cars are outside, it should have been the priority of the senior members of that party to ensure two impressionable and impulsive characters did not get back into those cars after drinking.

Keogh limping away from the incident shows just how far gone he was. His behaviour was reckless too and it rendered him unable to perform his job.

The club could certainly have handled it better and I remember the ill-feeling towards Lawrence and Bennett in the weeks that followed.

This was the start of a period of gross mismanagement of the club and was indicative of what was to come but Keogh deserves little sympathy.

8 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I still don't fully understand how Bennett & Lawrence got away with fines and Keogh got sacked despite him just being the passenger. 

I understand he has a degree of responsibility as club captain, but i still feel/felt the punishment was over the top, as proved in a court of law. Your point about Mel trying to save money and seeing it as an opportunity to get Keogh off the wage bill seems to make sense now. Ironically it's actually ended up costing us a lot more money which pretty much sums up Mel's running of the club to be honest. 

Lawrence was more at fault than Keogh for the 'incident', yet Keogh gets sacked for not being a good club captain essentially. Fast forward a couple of years and Lawrence now gets promoted to club captain?. Could only happen in Football! and even more so, could only happen at Derby?

It wasn’t proved in a court of law if it was then a maximum of £80,000 would have been awarded 

it was found proven in a EFL hearing - so apparent football rules - I bet everyone who has just been made redundant wishes they had football rules as well 

8 hours ago, Scott129 said:

The article says there were two others besides Lawrence and Keogh in the vehicle. And of course Bennett on his own in another car.

I think one of the other two passengers is pretty much confirmed at this point. Haven't got a clue who the last one is and I really don't want to speculate.

Both play in the same position I believe. One still here, the other managed by a ?.

Wonder if he was paid for the article? ,, his actions that night and the compo he fought for and disgustingly won are along with many other things part of the financial downfall of the club he says he cares for ,, tell you what Richard why not put your compo or some of it in a pot to help those blameless decent people who have lost they’re jobs and livelihood s at the club ,,, nah won’t happen , poor poor me in every sense but the bank account , take your garbage article / story and jog on ( me being polite)

Edited by Archied

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

It wasn’t proved in a court of law if it was then a maximum of £80,000 would have been awarded 

it was found proven in a EFL hearing - so apparent football rules - I bet everyone who has just been made redundant wishes they had football rules as well 

Exactly. If it had gone to an employment tribunal he would have lost. And the reasons for the decision would have been published.

I was under the impression that the players had gone to the joiners off their own back and the “club event” had long finished? I don’t for one minute believe that the club sanctioned a ruck loss of shots and being sick in urinals.

The consequences of that night stem from a catalogue of bad decisions, you choose to get drunk, you choose to get in the car, you choose not to wear a seat belt. But it seems in keoghs (very wide) eyes he’s completely blameless and deserved to be paid his full wages for 15 months. The majority of the country would be on £80 a week sick pay if they made the same decisions that he did that night.

Mason Mount was Keoghs taxi whilst he was at the club so they obviously formed a good friendship. But I’d be embarrassed if I was club captain and was having to have a teenager pick me up for training. 

But I mean what sort of man doesn’t drive nowadays, especially somebody of his ilk. 

I think the time when Keogh would be welcomed back into the club was when he got a season ticket next to Mel Morris. 

#moneygrabbingWanchor

"Hey Derby fans,

Really sorry your club has gone into administration but I still deserve my multi million pound payout because my leg hurt a lot & as I was the innocent victim here, I've decided to do a PR piece focusing on me & how your money is helping to compensate me. Lots of people in football agreed with me - here are their names. I've employed a life coach to look at certain aspects of my character but obviously still can't take any responsibility for my role in what happened. Pretty unreasonable for me to notice how leathered my driver was, to put on a seltbelt or remember that as a senior player & captain, perhaps I should be acting as the grown up here. Obviously still love Derby & would be happy to be paid by the club again in some capacity in the future."

Utter contempt.

There’s three words that could have saved Richard from this situation 

Hello, Chad cars…..

He literally taking no responsibility for his actions. He was our captain and one of our seniors players and should have been leading by example. 

We’ve all ducked up in the past but owning up to your proportion of the blame not only help you start your healing process but also to learn from the mistake.

Eat a cold bag of sausages Rich, sideways.

You killed your own legacy.

Not really got a problem with that article. It just saddens me that what happened happened. Yes, Keogh made a mistake, and paid for it big time. But the way Derby handled it was also poor. So, in the end, both sides came out of it badly. But time to move on. For Keogh to keep on playing and for Derby, hopefully, to sort themselves out financially. Anything beyond this is just wasted emotion...

Edited by Sheff Ram

7 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I was under the impression that the players had gone to the joiners off their own back and the “club event” had long finished? I don’t for one minute believe that the club sanctioned a ruck loss of shots and being sick in urinals.

The consequences of that night stem from a catalogue of bad decisions, you choose to get drunk, you choose to get in the car, you choose not to wear a seat belt. But it seems in keoghs (very wide) eyes he’s completely blameless and deserved to be paid his full wages for 15 months. The majority of the country would be on £80 a week sick pay if they made the same decisions that he did that night.

I understood the "official" part of the day was concluded and staff went home at that point. Some players chose to stay on and continue the evening without the support of the club.

The idea that grown men who are also professional sportsmen need this sort of babysitting from staff in order not to make stupid decisions is ludicrous in the first place, let alone the club captain.

But as others say, the videos don't lie, the reliable accounts from Joiners staff don't either.

As others have said, the timing of this stinks. Another Friday night article, dcfc staff being made redundant. Keogh's payout could probably have kept those twenty staff in jobs for at least ten years.