Long Keogh piece in the Guardian

ariotofmyown

5 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

Obviously we have to be careful with speculating on things we aren't really in the know over but come on now does anybody else buy that he didn't know Lawrence was over the limit? 

Only if he was so far gone himself. Was he?

Just now, Orphanram said:

Fair enough, I did say it was a personal choice and I don’t condone what he did but it’s  clear we sacked him and not the others for reasons that are all too obvious now. Most people would probably sue for unfair dismissal in such circumstances. Personally for myself and enough time has passed and I can think of what he contributed to the club. I 100% accept that some people won’t give him any quarter.

It's not about the money. It's about his behaviour. To himself - ruled out for how long? To the other players, including a youngster. Still waiting for his apology.

I'd no idea he was at Blackpool now. I suppose most donkeys end up there. I jest of course because he was immense for us on the pitch. However if it breaks his heart, like he proclaims, to see us in our current predicament then surely the he will drop his claim against us. 

He can't surely be desperate for the money. Take some responsibility and do the right thing RK. 

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'd no idea he was at Blackpool now. I suppose most donkeys end up there. I jest of course because he was immense for us on the pitch. However if it breaks his heart, like he proclaims, to see us in our current predicament then surely the he will drop his claim against us. 

He can't surely be desperate for the money. Take some responsibility and do the right thing RK. 

All PR, he'll happily take our money. He doesn't give a poo about us.

9 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

Obviously we have to be careful with speculating on things we aren't really in the know over but come on now does anybody else buy that he didn't know Lawrence was over the limit? 

I don’t buy that they weren’t drinking together, but didn’t the breathalyser reports show that Lawrence and Bennett whilst over the limit, and I’m not disputing that, but weren’t a stupid amount over?

I’d roughly go with the idea that Keogh’s ‘few drinks’ was more than a few, he knew Lawrence would have had a drink that night but not that he was over the limit.

Totally gutted for him.

Spent all day team building and had a small sherry to unwind.  Didn't want to go home early because he is club captain so it's important he was there all night.  Then got in a nice big safe 4×4  car with someone who clearly wouldn't be daft enough have had a drink in the cavernous Joiners Arms where he hadn't even bumped into him never mind noticed what he was drinking. The sherry went to his head so he can't recall if he got his seatbelt on but suddenly he was trapped a car and bravely decided to walk home on his damaged leg to save any embarrassment to the club. 

Legend.  Hero.

Edited by Chester40

27 minutes ago, jono said:

I have huge respect for Keogh’s exploits on the pitch. A proper bloke in a scrap. I have no respect at all for his ability to self critique or see that in every way he was a huge irresponsible fool that night and as a titular club Captain should have known a lot lot better. He should also have the guts to admit it. He had age and experience on his side but chose to ignore it. Arrogant dimwit ( still a brave and committed player on the pitch though ) 

Agree with every word.

Utmost respect for him as a player and leader on the pitch.

No respect for not accepting some responsibility and leadership that night. 

16 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Fair enough, I did say it was a personal choice and I don’t condone what he did but it’s  clear we sacked him and not the others for reasons that are all too obvious now. Most people would probably sue for unfair dismissal in such circumstances. Personally for myself enough time has passed and I can think positively of what he contributed to the club. I 100% accept that some people won’t give him any quarter.

Doesnt matter what he contributed. Compare and contrast him with a real captain like Curtis Davies. Levels apart in character. Davies is 10x the man and will be remembered for much longer as a Derby player.

Of course it's going to be Keogh's spin on things and DCFC do make a good "all purpose sports villain" for the papaers right now.

I don't think it's neccessarily not true, but i do think it's only a one sided version. I'm not going to rage and be disgusted at anything in that article. I think the "just a few ales" stuff is probably underselling it a bit, there vidoes of puking in toilets going round i remember....

I'm a bit surprised about the "oh Tom was genuinly sorry so he's still my pal" stuff, jezz, i'd stuggle if i thought my mates had left me for dead in a crashed vehicle.

At the time, i thought Keogh's sacking was justified, what wasn't was retaining Lawrence and Bennett. And if they retain Lawrence and Bennett they can't also justify sacking keogh because he's injured and it's financially worth it. I wasn't surprised Keogh won.

Just now, Andicis said:

Doesnt matter what he contributed. Compare and contrast him with a real captain like Curtis Davies. Levels apart in character. Davies is 10x the man and will be remembered for much longer as a Derby player.

Curtis risked his health to come on the pitch for us in the final game of the season. He was concerned for the club and the staff. A real hero.

I'm honestly still on Keoghs side with this.

He should have been fined and that's it (which would have saved the club money overall given what eventually happened), and we may even have got some games out of him when we were short on players last season. He was found to have been wrongfully dismissed by law. The way Derby acted was probably a desperate attempt to save money as Mel's gambles all started to catch up to him. The way he was treated made a lot of our own players and former players dislike us, and maybe even stopped other players joining us.

Keogh was a good player for us overall and should have been remembered that way. Its just another thing Mel's ruined. Obviously Keogh takes some blame but if he was just fined he could have eventually recovered his relationship with the club.

7 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I'm honestly still on Keoghs side with this.

He should have been fined and that's it (which would have saved the club money overall given what eventually happened), and we may even have got some games out of him when we were short on players last season. He was found to have been wrongfully dismissed by law. The way Derby acted was probably a desperate attempt to save money as Mel's gambles all started to catch up to him. The way he was treated made a lot of our own players and former players dislike us, and maybe even stopped other players joining us.

Keogh was a good player for us overall and should have been remembered that way. Its just another thing Mel's ruined. Obviously Keogh takes some blame but if he was just fined he could have eventually recovered his relationship with the club.

Our captain got himself injured during stupid drunken behaviour and then sued us. How exactly can you be on his side? He's a crap footballer now, never came back the same. Because of his own actions.

41 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Got to say I found the idea that cars had been laid on for them a bit sceptical, it never really made sense aside maybe having a bit of a deal with a local taxi service. 

Overall there’s some things I’d agree with and some things I wouldn’t but I don’t think he’s talking nonsense or anything. It’s his truth and it’s fair enough. 

CM19 is a notable exemption from Keogh’s pals list, at one time they were seen to be the good friends.

Heard it was Martin that had a key role in pulling the dressing room back together. Don’t know any details, though.