Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

We’re all desperate to get a least one thing sorted in this horror show.

Rooney has done nothing as manager and without Bielik’s short run in the team we would have been comfortably relegated. Just my view.

He has been fortunate that the ownership and EFL issues have taken focus away from how bad he has been as a manager, on and off the pitch but now I, like many, on the back of one very good performance am hoping, on the pitch anyway, that things are going to get better.

Hoping things get better on and off the pitch ?

21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’ll also add that I firmly believe Mel brought in Wayne Rooney in a bid to raise the profile of the club in order to sell it.

Rooney the player was never going to come in to the Championship and single-handedly turn Derby into serious promotion contenders. We didn’t sign him as a player for football reasons, despite being arguably England’s greatest ever player. 

Mel then doubled down on him by naming him manager. And he’s still yet to sell the club. It was a bold move which ultimately backfired.

With hindsight, I wonder if Mel wishes he never brought Rooney to the club.

I firmly believe if we had never brought Rooney in and stuck with Cocu, signing a few of his targets such as Dursun, Panzo, Dykes, Moore and Dickie, we’d be in a far healthier place now, on and off the pitch.

Cocu was our Nigel Clough. Maybe he would have never have gotten us promoted, but he was exactly what we needed while clearing the decks.

I agree but I also remember how the fans treated him. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m torn on Wayne Rooney.

On the one hand I despise the fact he signed with talk of him as an understudy to Phillip Cocu while winding down his career. I felt his presence immediately undermined Cocu who didn’t deserve that at all, and his post lockdown performances on the pitch were horrible. We were stuck with an out-of-shape superstar who was seemingly undroppable, and his presence in the team made Cocu’s job of getting results all-but impossible. I then hated the fact Rooney benefited from Cocu’s exit with the managerial job despite his evident lack of experience. His ensuing results towards the end of the season did little to sway that opinion.

However, on the flip side, none of the above was Rooney’s fault. As a player he was on a natural steep decline. Anyone in his shoes would have done the same. The club signed him on ridiculous terms with a stepping stone into management. A big Championship club may I add. And the club later appointed him manager. I can’t hate him for simply taking up the opportunities which have come his way, as much as I disagree with it all. 

My displeasure is directed more at those who made the decisions. Simply terrible.

We’re stuck with Rooney, and he and the players need all the support they can get.

Extraordinary. Not the post as such but the poster. welcome back.

52 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Absolutely, and I was one of his critics. Looking back, he’s been one of our better managers of the past decade, arguably the best (not coach, but manager). 

Fair play for saying that. Clough was by no means perfect, but over time he built a great squad of talented and committed players, all for pretty much nothing.

I think he would have eventually got us promoted, but not in the barn storming style that we nearly did under Mac.

His time in charge seems like ancient history, especially now when we are desperate for a manager like him to sort us out.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm pretty sure 32 Red do not pay Rooney's wages.

I think it's the case that 32 Red pay DCFC additional sponsorship based on Rooney playing (no idea how that changed when he became manager). 

32 Red may still be giving us sponsorship money relating to Rooney but Rooney is an employee and paid by the club.

The new shirt, the 32Red sponsorship and Lampard’s appointment were all announced in one big go, so I’d imagine the clause is still active if X star player is manager.

On 29/07/2021 at 21:28, Bris Vegas said:

I’ll also add that I firmly believe Mel brought in Wayne Rooney in a bid to raise the profile of the club in order to sell it.

Rooney the player was never going to come in to the Championship and single-handedly turn Derby into serious promotion contenders. We didn’t sign him as a player for football reasons, despite being arguably England’s greatest ever player. 

Mel then doubled down on him by naming him manager. And he’s still yet to sell the club. It was a bold move which ultimately backfired.

With hindsight, I wonder if Mel wishes he never brought Rooney to the club.

I firmly believe if we had never brought Rooney in and stuck with Cocu, signing a few of his targets such as Dursun, Panzo, Dykes, Moore and Dickie, we’d be in a far healthier place now, on and off the pitch.

Cocu was our Nigel Clough. Maybe he would have never have gotten us promoted, but he was exactly what we needed while clearing the decks.

I b*****y well hope so but it seemed Mel was seduced by the Lampard effect and somehow thought Rooney could replicate it. But for me Rooney had been poor and slow and an impediment to success for all his teams for a decade. Your two Rooney posts are very fair and make good points and although I dislike Rooney for it, you can't blame him for not looking a gifthorse in the mouth, but you can blame Mel. Our owner made a great decision with Cocu and then pulled the rug from under him by bringing in Rooney. And now we're completely stuck and the work Cocu was doing, as he was tasked, to raise the value of academy products as a business model for the club, has completely fallen by the wayside.

I think we could have WR in charge for the whole of the season, and lose every single game four nil. Home or away, every game a four nil defeat, and there would still be people saying he needs more time, it's the EFL's fault, yeah but covid blah blah blah.

At the same time, if we were to win every single game four nil, there's still going to be people who wouldn't want him anywhere near the club , in any role.

19 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I think we could have WR in charge for the whole of the season, and lose every single game four nil. Home or away, every game a four nil defeat, and there would still be people saying he needs more time, it's the EFL's fault, yeah but covid blah blah blah.

At the same time, if we were to win every single game four nil, there's still going to be people who wouldn't want him anywhere near the club , in any role.

I think if we were losing 4-0 every game, even the strongest Rooney supporters would say it's time to go. He has nothing to work with at the moment, especially if we cannot sign anyone before the start of the season.

If we go into the season with what we have then yes, I wouldn't expect us to be winning most games, it will be a struggle no matter who was in charge. But I would still expect the odd win. Lets not kid ourselves, if we can't sign anyone we'll go down and that's not Rooney's fault it's Mel's.

I agree though, even if we were to win every game certain folk would still find something to moan about because Rooney is still the manager.

19 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I think if we were losing 4-0 every game, even the strongest Rooney supporters would say it's time to go. He has nothing to work with at the moment, especially if we cannot sign anyone before the start of the season.

If we go into the season with what we have then yes, I wouldn't expect us to be winning most games, it will be a struggle no matter who was in charge. But I would still expect the odd win. Lets not kid ourselves, if we can't sign anyone we'll go down and that's not Rooney's fault it's Mel's.

I agree though, even if we were to win every game certain folk would still find something to moan about because Rooney is still the manager.

I'm no Rooney fan, but if we lost 4-0 every game I'm not sure we could be surprised given the squad.

We still havent seen what Rooney could be like if he was able to bring in just 1 of his own staff members, or if he was allowed to sign just 1 player of his choosing.

There are of course signs that even if Rooney was given money to spend he would still make a pigs behind out of it, such as Sibley not getting game time.

17 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm no Rooney fan, but if we lost 4-0 every game I'm not sure we could be surprised given the squad.

We still havent seen what Rooney could be like if he was able to bring in just 1 of his own staff members, or if he was allowed to sign just 1 player of his choosing.

There are of course signs that even if Rooney was given money to spend he would still make a pigs behind out of it, such as Sibley not getting game time.

I think we’ve seen many times that overmatched squads can still be competitive if managed to correctly with a good spirit. Problem is, can’t see that being us. 

On 29/07/2021 at 19:52, Curtains said:

However, on the flip side, none of the above was Rooney’s fault. As a player he was on a natural steep decline. 

Rooney was player manager, it was his job to keep fit for Cocu - which he didn’t do because he decided the time had come for him to regale us with his managerial acumen. The upshot was, Cocu spent 15 matches trying to work out where to play Rooney. (The correct answer was: nowhere, until we get a free kick) 
Nor does it seem likely Rooney was taken on to increase the likelihood of a sale. The Rooney/32 deal was surely a last throw of the dice by MM in his uphill battle to get to the PL. He came close, but not as close as he did with his previous roll (Lampard). 

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Rooney was player manager, it was his job to keep fit for Cocu - which he didn’t do because he decided the time had come for him to regale us with his managerial acumen. The upshot was, Cocu spent 15 matches trying to work out where to play Rooney. (The correct answer was: nowhere, until we get a free kick) 
Nor does it seem likely Rooney was taken on to increase the likelihood of a sale. The Rooney/32 deal was surely a last throw of the dice by MM in his uphill battle to get to the PL. He came close, but not as close as he did with his previous roll (Lampard). 

I think that’s a little harsh on Rooney the player. Certainly towards the end he was a liability but earlier he taught the others how to play, pushing passes into space for them to advance into. It was poor that he wasn’t fit, but players will have learned from him and will continue to do so.

I think he’s probably an excellent coach, but that doesn’t make him a good manager.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I have a very strong dislike for our manager, but one thing he got right.

There's no better foreplay than little nap and epoctrophilia.  

You Finns and your epoctrophilia foreplay. Stick to the surströmming. Dirty bar stewards.

482C0742-5D48-4EBF-A0BF-74AE9203C0E7.gif

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I think that’s a little harsh on Rooney the player. Certainly towards the end he was a liability but earlier he taught the others how to play, pushing passes into space for them to advance into. It was poor that he wasn’t fit, but players will have learned from him and will continue to do so.

I think he’s probably an excellent coach, but that doesn’t make him a good manager.

He was excellent when he first came, then he had an injury and missed a few games then was never the same. Was even worse after the season resumption post lockdown.