Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m torn on Wayne Rooney.

On the one hand I despise the fact he signed with talk of him as an understudy to Phillip Cocu while winding down his career. I felt his presence immediately undermined Cocu who didn’t deserve that at all, and his post lockdown performances on the pitch were horrible. We were stuck with an out-of-shape superstar who was seemingly undroppable, and his presence in the team made Cocu’s job of getting results all-but impossible. I then hated the fact Rooney benefited from Cocu’s exit with the managerial job despite his evident lack of experience. His ensuing results towards the end of the season did little to sway that opinion.

However, on the flip side, none of the above was Rooney’s fault. As a player he was on a natural steep decline. Anyone in his shoes would have done the same. The club signed him on ridiculous terms with a stepping stone into management. A big Championship club may I add. And the club later appointed him manager. I can’t hate him for simply taking up the opportunities which have come his way, as much as I disagree with it all. 

My displeasure is directed more at those who made the decisions. Simply terrible.

We’re stuck with Rooney, and he and the players need all the support they can get.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

On the one hand I despise the fact he signed with talk of him as an understudy to Phillip Cocu while winding down his career. I felt his presence immediately undermined Cocu who didn’t deserve that at all, and his post lockdown performances on the pitch were horrible. We were stuck with an out-of-shape superstar who was seemingly undroppable, and his presence in the team made Cocu’s job of getting results all-but impossible. I then hated the fact Rooney benefited from Cocu’s exit with the managerial job despite his evident lack of experience. His ensuing results towards the end of the season did little to sway that opinion.

However, on the flip side, none of the above was Rooney’s fault. As a player he was on a natural steep decline. Anyone in his shoes would have done the same. The club signed him on ridiculous terms with a stepping stone into management. A big Championship club may I add. And the club later appointed him manager. I can’t hate him for simply taking up the opportunities which have come his way, as much as I disagree with it all. 

My displeasure is directed more at those who made the decisions. Simply terrible.

We’re stuck with Rooney, and he and the players need all the support they can get.

You do know 32 Red pay his wages mate.

Nice to have you back 

Just now, Curtains said:

You do know 32 Red pay his wages mate.

Nice to have you back 

I think regardless of how much Derby were paying Rooney the player, his impact hurt more than financially.

The deal was widely condemned by our fellow Championship clubs and it arguably gave a reason for the EFL to further their agenda against the club’s owner. 

Are 32Red still paying his wages? Even though he is on a different contract now? I read he’s the highest paid manager in the league.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think regardless of how much Derby were paying Rooney the player, his impact hurt more than financially.

The deal was widely condemned by our fellow Championship clubs and it arguably gave a reason for the EFL to further their agenda against the club’s owner. 

Are 32Red still paying his wages? Even though he is on a different contract now? I read he’s the highest paid manager in the league.

Not entirely sure but I heard that they are still paying his wages 

I don’t like the EFL at all sorry and I see no reason why they should have an agenda against any of their Football Clubs 

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's not like we're the only ones being sponsored by 32Red even if we were the only ones to take advantage of their (can't remember the phrase) top sponsored player. I don't think that was what we were condemned for, it was just more that giving Rooney the no32 shirt made things obvious - but how much less obvious can sponsors be?! I think there was jealousy involved, a bit like other things Mel did - we're a big fish in a small pond and the minnows don't always like it.

17 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Who is this imposter…? Bris who.!?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not like we're the only ones being sponsored by 32Red even if we were the only ones to take advantage of their (can't remember the phrase) top sponsored player. I don't think that was what we were condemned for, it was just more that giving Rooney the no32 shirt made things obvious - but how much less obvious can sponsors be?! I think there was jealousy involved, a bit like other things Mel did - we're a big fish in a small pond and the minnows don't always like it.

I remember former Preston manager Alex Neil have a right pop at Derby over the deal.

And as you point out, they’re also sponsored by 32Red so it came across as jealousy on their part.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Sorry, I wasn’t having a go at you. I thought it was a good,positive atmosphere last night by the few of us that could actually be bothered to get out of the armchair and go and support the club like we’re supposed to do.

It was a great atmosphere mate .

Felt so good to be back for Man U and Betis games.

The away fans in both games played their part 

40 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Great post. This to a tee. But I think I’ve got rather less time for WR as boss than BV. 

Edited by Kingpin

I'm pretty sure 32 Red do not pay Rooney's wages.

I think it's the case that 32 Red pay DCFC additional sponsorship based on Rooney playing (no idea how that changed when he became manager). 

32 Red may still be giving us sponsorship money relating to Rooney but Rooney is an employee and paid by the club.

I’ll also add that I firmly believe Mel brought in Wayne Rooney in a bid to raise the profile of the club in order to sell it.

Rooney the player was never going to come in to the Championship and single-handedly turn Derby into serious promotion contenders. We didn’t sign him as a player for football reasons, despite being arguably England’s greatest ever player. 

Mel then doubled down on him by naming him manager. And he’s still yet to sell the club. It was a bold move which ultimately backfired.

With hindsight, I wonder if Mel wishes he never brought Rooney to the club.

I firmly believe if we had never brought Rooney in and stuck with Cocu, signing a few of his targets such as Dursun, Panzo, Dykes, Moore and Dickie, we’d be in a far healthier place now, on and off the pitch.

Cocu was our Nigel Clough. Maybe he would have never have gotten us promoted, but he was exactly what we needed while clearing the decks.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’ll also add that I firmly believe Mel brought in Wayne Rooney in a bid to raise the profile of the club in order to sell it.

Rooney the player was never going to come in to the Championship and single-handedly turn Derby into serious promotion contenders. We didn’t sign him as a player for football reasons, despite being arguably England’s greatest ever player. 

Mel then doubled down on him by naming him manager. And he’s still yet to sell the club. It was a bold move which ultimately backfired.

With hindsight, I wonder if Mel wishes he never brought Rooney to the club.

I firmly believe if we had never brought Rooney in and stuck with Cocu, signing a few of his targets such as Dursun, Panzo, Dykes, Moore and Dickie, we’d be in a far healthier place now, on and off the pitch.

Cocu was our Nigel Clough. Maybe he would have never have gotten us promoted, but he was exactly what we needed while clearing the decks.

Very good points ?

We’re all desperate to get a least one thing sorted in this horror show.

Rooney has done nothing as manager and without Bielik’s short run in the team we would have been comfortably relegated. Just my view.

He has been fortunate that the ownership and EFL issues have taken focus away from how bad he has been as a manager, on and off the pitch but now I, like many, on the back of one very good performance am hoping, on the pitch anyway, that things are going to get better.