Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rooney like many of us makes some rather stupid judgement calls when mullered.

In the past he was reigned in by a strong manager who was able to tune him but even SIr Alex wasn’t able to curb this weakness that has plagued his personal life.

But who is to hold Rooney the boss in check?

He’s clearly on the pop and has piled the weight on. I don’t see him as an example of the modern professional like Lampard or Cocu. So what does he bring to the table. Motivationally in the most trying of times he was able to pick up 1 draw in our last seven games then have to audacity to hail survival as success.

He’s getting a free pass by many because of the turmoil surrounding the club and the thinking is that changing the manager now will add further uncertainty.

I completely see that viewpoint and indeed at this moment in time see it as a sensible option, but he has to put results together straight away to change my view that he is not the leader he thinks he is.

24 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Rooney like many of us makes some rather stupid judgement calls when mullered.

In the past he was reigned in by a strong manager who was able to tune him but even SIr Alex wasn’t able to curb this weakness that has plagued his personal life.

But who is to hold Rooney the boss in check?

He’s clearly on the pop and has piled the weight on. I don’t see him as an example of the modern professional like Lampard or Cocu. So what does he bring to the table. Motivationally in the most trying of times he was able to pick up 1 draw in our last seven games then have to audacity to hail survival as success.

He’s getting a free pass by many because of the turmoil surrounding the club and the thinking is that changing the manager now will add further uncertainty.

I completely see that viewpoint and indeed at this moment in time see it as a sensible option, but he has to put results together straight away to change my view that he is not the leader he thinks he is.

I was near the dug out on Wednesday, he has not piled weight on at all, a few pounds possibly, but if that is what you look like when you pile weight on I wish someone would lend me a stone or two.

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think he’s probably an excellent coach, but that doesn’t make him a good manager.

Dunno. IMO it’s foolish to dispute his brilliance as a footballer though some on here are trying. But does this make him a good coach? I think his footballing brain was intuitive and instinctive and I don’t think there’s yet evidence he has the analytical skills to be a good coach or a good manager. It’s still early days but the lack of development of our youngsters under his guidance so far is worrying 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You didn't watch todays game then? Or the Betis/Salford games?

Ok fair comment. Against Betis, Bird and Watson were v encouraging but I was working today and I also missed Salford. I’m mostly commenting on last season. But I would be delighted to see Sibley, Bird and Watson become strong starters in the chpnsp - as they should be - and to eat my words. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

But I would be delighted to see Sibley, Bird and Watson become strong starters in the chpnsp - as they should be - and to eat my words. 

Got to prove it, they're still young and inconsistent. Compare them to the experienced trialists.

Would have to credit Rooney with an improved style of football all pre-season. Looked to play out from the back in all 4 games against different types of opponents, patient with purpose but good to watch. Want us to continue in this vein & aim to get better at it.

The kids will be key to this new style taking hold given how well they know each other & you could see it today with how confident they were knocking it about. I dont expect us to be a high scoring side & the style will be put under severe scrutiny in the Championship but if you can look to control the ball, you stand half a chance of winning games. Its also much more suited to a 'team dynamic' where we'd be less reliant on individual flashes of brilliance, necessary given our financial state & inability to buy in.

On the subject of youth, really pleased to see Max Bird getting back to his best...hopefully that continues into the league campaign as we need him to kick on. Also liked how much involvement the likes of Hutchinson, Williams, Ebosele & Thompson have had & how good they've looked. Also think Cashin & Stretton are going to be important for us this season. My main concern is for Sibley...I hope Rooney sees him as a long term option & is trying to coax the best out of him because it'd be a shocking waste of talent for him to have a repeat of last season or to leave.

21 hours ago, Donnyram said:

You couldn't make it up...... "Rooney burns down training ground making toast".  ??

https://news.paddypower.com/football/2021/07/31/rooney-accidentally-burns-Derby-training-complex-after-leaving-toast-on-too-long/

I sent this to my brother. He replied

“Unbelievable - he’s trying to sabotage us. And are we really looking for pub team players?!”

I told him it was a p!ss take article and he replied

“Did he actually burn down the training centre?”

My brother is 47 and got a first from Cambridge. What an absolute lemon.

52 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Would have to credit Rooney with an improved style of football all pre-season. Looked to play out from the back in all 4 games against different types of opponents, patient with purpose but good to watch. Want us to continue in this vein & aim to get better at it.

The kids will be key to this new style taking hold given how well they know each other & you could see it today with how confident they were knocking it about. I dont expect us to be a high scoring side & the style will be put under severe scrutiny in the Championship but if you can look to control the ball, you stand half a chance of winning games. Its also much more suited to a 'team dynamic' where we'd be less reliant on individual flashes of brilliance, necessary given our financial state & inability to buy in.

On the subject of youth, really pleased to see Max Bird getting back to his best...hopefully that continues into the league campaign as we need him to kick on. Also liked how much involvement the likes of Hutchinson, Williams, Ebosele & Thompson have had & how good they've looked. Also think Cashin & Stretton are going to be important for us this season. My main concern is for Sibley...I hope Rooney sees him as a long term option & is trying to coax the best out of him because it'd be a shocking waste of talent for him to have a repeat of last season or to leave.

Sort of agree but I think we need to add a more determined higher press when out of possession. It is what teams will do to us and we need to get better at that aspect pf the game which is critical in the championship.

3 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I sent this to my brother. He replied

“Unbelievable - he’s trying to sabotage us. And are we really looking for pub team players?!”

I told him it was a p!ss take article and he replied

“Did he actually burn down the training centre?”

My brother is 47 and got a first from Cambridge. What an absolute lemon.

To be fair to your brother we live in an era where satire has been gazumped by reality!

When Wayne Rooney said that he prefers strikers to take penalties, my gut feeling was that the best penalty taker should take them, whatever position they play.

But, he followed up his comment by talking about increasing strikers' goal tallies. And maybe that brings knock-on effects? 

Edited by Ken Tram

8 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

When Wayne Rooney said that he prefers strikers to take penalties, my gut feeling was that the best penalty taker should take them, whatever position they play.

But, he followed up his comment by talking about increasing strikers' goal tallies. And maybe that brings knock-on effects? 

That's a very weird comment about boosting goal tallies, though 6 of Rooney's last 12 England goals were penalties including 3 of the last 4 to draw level with Bobby Charlton (pen against San Marino) and then overtake him with a pen against Switzerland, before his last goal being another pen in the ignominious defeat to Iceland. He played for England for a good 5 years too long.