Will Hughes

ViewsFromTheMiddle

13 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

You know what im getting at im not saying that am i .

What im saying is people are making out that Hughes is alot better than he actually is , have very over inflated opinion of him . 

All about opinions mate.

Mine is that Will is one of the best players i've seen in a Derby shirt and I go back to 1970. 

On 18/12/2021 at 00:11, uttoxram75 said:

All about opinions mate.

Mine is that Will is one of the best players i've seen in a Derby shirt and I go back to 1970. 

Wow jUST Wow 

He couldnt lay a finger on Ted McMin , George Williams  , John Gregory , Nigel Callaghan , Gary Micklewhite  and thats not even starting on the Clough / Mckay era . All about opinions but that is some statement jesus christ i need a heart bypass after reading that lol . 

Yes i know quite a few of those are wingers but you did say one of the BEST PLAYERS , he is nowhere near one of the best players absolutley nowhere near . 

Edited by NottsRammy

46 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Wow jUST Wow 

He couldnt lay a finger on Ted McMin , George Williams  , John Gregory , Nigel Callaghan , Gary Micklewhite  and thats not even starting on the Clough / Mckay era . All about opinions but that is some statement jesus christ i need a heart bypass after reading that lol . 

Yes i know quite a few of those are wingers but you did say one of the BEST PLAYERS , he is nowhere near one of the best players absolutley nowhere near . 

I did say one of the best I'd seen. We all see the game differently.

Completely different player to those you mentioned. All great players for Derby but I really enjoyed watching Hughes vision, control, passing, ability to dictate a game, intelligence on and off the ball, link up etc. 

Perhaps his only fault was not being perfectly matched with the British game.  A yard of pace from being a top player but still one I could watch all day.

Cloughie Sr. would have loved Will Hughes. He certainly wouldn't have had him playing as a defensive midfielder. He'd have put someone alongside him to win the ball and then tell that player to give it to Will.

Even after his ACL injury, he'd have been the first name on the team-sheet for me. I'm not sure how it was possible to "over-rate" him as a Derby player. The fact that every opposition supporter hated him and every opposition team tried to kick him off the park told its own story. I loved watching him play, and I loved the fact that he came through our own ranks. 

I don't think signing for Watford, with their revolving-door policy for managers, did him any favours. He's only 26 and I'm hoping that his best years lie ahead of him. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 14/12/2021 at 08:28, Duracell said:

The fact Will Hughes hasn't properly made it in elite football demonstrates I just don't understand the game.

Can't fathom it. To my uncoached eye he is the most intelligent and naturally talented player I've ever seen play for Derby. A joy to watch. 

I remember when he first broke through and I excitedly asked my dad how good he thought he’d become. “He’s too slow.” Perhaps he was right. Not quick enough as an #8 at Premier League level and so he’s dropped deep.

Half-related as well, I remember a post on here from somebody that had been to watch Tito Villanova’s Barcelona and they were described as being ‘all as comfortable on the ball and as intelligent as Hughes but then being good in their actual position on top of that’.

I suppose as well, he was always one-footed and couldn’t shoot. 

But then, to argue against myself, he’s a very good dribbler but we didn’t see it THAT often.

I don’t know, he’s always been a bit of an enigma to me. Was he too intelligent for his own good and sacrificed himself for the team?

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2021 at 15:15, Crewton said:

Cloughie Sr. would have loved Will Hughes. He certainly wouldn't have had him playing as a defensive midfielder. He'd have put someone alongside him to win the ball and then tell that player to give it to Will.

Even after his ACL injury, he'd have been the first name on the team-sheet for me. I'm not sure how it was possible to "over-rate" him as a Derby player. The fact that every opposition supporter hated him and every opposition team tried to kick him off the park told its own story. I loved watching him play, and I loved the fact that he came through our own ranks. 

I don't think signing for Watford, with their revolving-door policy for managers, did him any favours. He's only 26 and I'm hoping that his best years lie ahead of him. 

Watford also played him out of position most of the time - usually out wide. Such a shame he didn't go somewhere that consistently played him in the right place and let him develop his game. Watching him now you can feel that lost development - he just doesn't seem able to dictate games as much as his skill set should allow. Maybe that would have happened anyway (he's not the biggest or fastest) but it's a shame we may never know how good he could have been if he'd have spent his early 20s somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 00:11, uttoxram75 said:

All about opinions mate.

I'd not have him that high tbh.

A tad more pace and if he'd scored a few more goals and he'd be there or thereabouts.

What he had was crazy amounts of technical ability and that shines out and I *think* makes people think he's a bit better than he was.

The reality is, none of the top teams came knocking.

We had many players under Cloughie and Mackay who would be into many tens of millions in today's market, as would ooo Mark Wright, Deano and Igor. And I'm sure others who I've forgotten.

I'm not sure we've had a player quite like Hughes so he does stand out. Going back a long way I'd say maybe Gerry Daly?

A very good Ram, but not quite in that top tier imho.

13 hours ago, Ambitious said:

100% the most aesthetically pleasing player to watch on his day - a ton of talent. 

Shame he hasn't done more with it though. He just didn't have that edge that Mount had, no better player but he just had a more cut throat approach to his game.  

From the interviews I've seen from both, I also get the impression that Mount was absolutely desperate to reach the very top of the game from a young age. Worked extremely hard and made a lot of sacrifices to get there.

Hughes, on the other hand, just seems very happy with the fact that he's playing a game he enjoys and earning very good money from it. Good for him. Absolutely no problem with it.

Could be completely wrong, but that's the sense I get.