Will Hughes

ViewsFromTheMiddle

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Will was in the crowd. The cameras gave us a short sighting of him. It was just about the most exciting moment of the game (in terms of what I watched. I was that bored I didn't see all the game as I found a good documentary about paint drying).

• 3 months later...

Watching the early kick off in the Premier League and Will Hughes is playing a defensive blinder in the middle of the park, bullying Liverpool’s Endo. Palace fans seem to be giving him a Poom-esque “Hhuuuuuggghhheeess” of appreciation every time he does something of note. Would love him to come back to Derby one day. 

19 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Watching the early kick off in the Premier League and Will Hughes is playing a defensive blinder in the middle of the park, bullying Liverpool’s Endo. Palace fans seem to be giving him a Poom-esque “Hhuuuuuggghhheeess” of appreciation every time he does something of note. Would love him to come back to Derby one day. 

Out of contract in the summer, but he probably has 1 more PL contract in him begore dropping down to the Championship. He's started 10 out of the last 12 league games, with 6 full 90s, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a new 2 or 3 year deal. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Out of contract in the summer, but he probably has 1 more PL contract in him begore dropping down to the Championship. He's started 10 out of the last 12 league games, with 6 full 90s, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a new 2 or 3 year deal. 

He’s clearly still got enough quality to play in the prem and definitely the champ, I wasn’t advocating an immediate return or anything. Just that romantic idea of him “coming back home” before his career finishes 

On 10/12/2023 at 09:07, Caerphilly Ram said:

He’s clearly still got enough quality to play in the prem and definitely the champ, I wasn’t advocating an immediate return or anything. Just that romantic idea of him “coming back home” before his career finishes 

Still a Premier League player. Love to see if we could tempt him next season if we go up though.

• 1 month later...

'The way he sees the game is just completely different' - Deeneypublished at 13:59

13:59

Image source, Getty Images

Crystal Palace midfielder Will Hughes would make a "really good pundit", according to former team-mate Troy Deeney.

The pair regularly featured together during their time at Watford before Hughes made the switch to Selhurst Park in 2021.

The 28-year-old has been a consistent feature in the Eagles' midfield, making 69 appearances in all competitions for the club since joining.

Speaking on the latest episode of the Football Firsts podcast, Deeney said: "You know who would be a really good pundit, but would probably never do it? Will Hughes. He's got a very good understanding of the game.

"He's the most miserable man you have ever met in your life, but he's just a cool kid. Obviously coming through the England set-up as a kid, you just get a different learning, a different tactical understanding. When you sit and watch football with him, the way he sees the game is just completely different.

"Definitely [he could go into coaching] but he wouldn't. There was loads of times with Hughes when he was 23, 24 or maybe 25 at Watford and he would say 'there's no way I make it [playing] to 30', he's just an old moany so-and-so. But, you see him at Palace now, still playing and still doing well."

2 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

There was loads of times with Hughes when he was 23, 24 or maybe 25 at Watford and he would say 'there's no way I make it [playing] to 30', he's just an old moany so-and-so. But, you see him at Palace now, still playing and still doing well."

I think this explains why he never quite hit the heights we thought he might. Watching a few interviews with him at Watford, I got the sense he was happy with his lot earning good money in a profession he could abide. I don't really blame him for it.

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think this explains why he never quite hit the heights we thought he might. Watching a few interviews with him at Watford, I got the sense he was happy with his lot earning good money in a profession he could abide. I don't really blame him for it.

I could watch him play all day. From the moment he made his debut (was it v Tranmere in the cup?), he immediately became my favourite player since the 70's heroes.

In his debut game he looked anything but a footballer, skinny, young kid that he was, but he calmly took down an awkward 40 yard pass and passed it on accurately without thinking about it. Easy. Very gifted player, intelligent and made others around him look good with the weight of his passes and vision.

You say he's never really hit the heights yet he's had a good career in the top flight of English football. How high do you have to go to be recognised as a top footballer?

If we go up i'd expect David Clowes to sell a few members of his family to finance Hughsey's return to see us back to the Prem.

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I could watch him play all day. From the moment he made his debut (was it v Tranmere in the cup?), he immediately became my favourite player since the 70's heroes.

In his debut game he looked anything but a footballer, skinny, young kid that he was, but he calmly took down an awkward 40 yard pass and passed it on accurately without thinking about it. Easy. Very gifted player, intelligent and made others around him look good with the weight of his passes and vision.

You say he's never really hit the heights yet he's had a good career in the top flight of English football. How high do you have to go to be recognised as a top footballer?

If we go up i'd expect David Clowes to sell a few members of his family to finance Hughsey's return to see us back to the Prem.

That was the firestarter at Burton

12 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

His debut was against Peterborough. He came on in injury time and we ended up conceding, losing 3-2 (we went 2-0 up in the first half). His first start was also against Peterborough on the last day of the season. He was played at LM in that game.

Out of contract in the summer...

13 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

He’s had an excellent career that most dream of. I was just referring to the fact that some expected him to play for England, and he was linked with the likes of Barca.