Will Hughes

ViewsFromTheMiddle

On 26/08/2021 at 18:23, Sparkle said:

If we get anything it will be a bonus 

Sad for the lad having to go Watford and then Crystal Palace for a higher standard of football - my experience of both places - Yuk

Yeah, real sad. Going to live in a two bed terrace in Selhurst. I expect he’ll park his Bentley on bricks too.

On 21/08/2021 at 15:14, AndyinLiverpool said:

There's always the possibility that Hughes is not as good as many Derby fans think he is.

I always thought Watford was the wrong move for him. An anonymous club. But if that's the best he could do, perhaps he's just not that good.

I always found him weird. I always thought he’d end up being a Grealish/Maddison/Cairney type (obviously Cairney isn’t on the former pair’s level but they were the three dominant #10s in 16/17).

I wondered if he was sometimes too intelligent for his own good. He’d play the role he was asked to. He’s a ridiculous dribbler but he never had the freedom to show it.

When he first broke through my dad was never that excited because he saw at the time he was too slow to go to the very top, which is something I’ve seen as to why he may have missed out on an England call up. 

On 28/08/2021 at 20:09, Gritstone Ram said:

Chuffin ell! What would he have to do to get £9m?? appear in the Champions League Final with his Gran in goals.

Not that he wasn’t worth £9m I know he is worth every penny I just don’t think we got his true value.

only worth what someone will pay for him, again

On 26/08/2021 at 20:28, Carnero said:

John Percy & Owen Bradley both said £6m rising to £9m at the time, but some people selectively decided to ignore them and go with The Watford Observer's own valuation instead, as it allowed them to bash the club as normal.

From memory, the combined transfer fees of Hendrick, Hughes and Ince (and maybe Lee Grant) were £23m.

With the reported fees of Hendrick and Ince, I would be very surprised if we got £6m up front for Hughes.

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

From memory, the combined transfer fees of Hendrick, Hughes and Ince (and maybe Lee Grant) were £23m.

With the reported fees of Hendrick and Ince, I would be very surprised if we got £6m up front for Hughes.

Profit on Hendrick, Ince, Albentosa and Shotton was £16.1m (plus potential add-ons)
Profit on Hughes, Christie and Russell was £3.7m (plus potential add-ons)

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Profit on Hendrick, Ince, Albentosa and Shotton was £16.1m (plus potential add-ons)

Dont remember the incomings and outgoings re Christie and Hughes but pretty sure that makes it conclusive that we did not receive £6m upfront for Hughes.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought we lost money on the Russell and Shotton transfer fees ? And from what I remember the Albantosa fee was a marginal profit at best? - Hendrick is by a long way our most profitable sale which is probably highlighted by the amount of premiership minutes he has played, he was the most suited to the premiership. 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I thought we lost money on the Russell and Shotton transfer fees ? And from what I remember the Albantosa fee was a marginal profit at best? - Hendrick is by a long way our most profitable sale which is probably highlighted by the amount of premiership minutes he has played, he was the most suited to the premiership. 

We made money on Shotton - somehow.  Our income as a club and transfer fee to cash shelled out on fees isn't that bad at all bar the splurge under Clement.  What's killed the club is the frankly ludicrous wages shelled out over 5 years.  We paid Bent a reported 30k a week for a season he wasn't even supposed to be here anymore. Anya on over 20k a week for getting 4 years of splinters.  Butterfield and Blackman on the same for being out on loan at other clubs.  Blackman could have had his own programme - going on a European tour with Nick - this episode Turkey. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, David said:

By who?

Palace signed him in the summer, you would expect any first team signing would have started a game by now, overhyped or not.

Wouldn’t be the first signing not to get a start for a while, couldn’t have been standing out in training?  He’s had some sub appearances I assume?

Remember how long George Thorne had to wait? Criminal.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Wouldn’t be the first signing not to get a start for a while, couldn’t have been standing out in training?  He’s had some sub appearances I assume?

Remember how long George Thorne had to wait? Criminal.

He wouldn't, but still bizarre. Come off the bench once for 10 minutes prior to today

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

There's been plenty in the media about how Viera hasn't played him this season because he simply doesn't think he's been up to the standard required.

Hopefully today signals that he's got there. 

He's certainly getting praise for his performance from Palace fans.