Will Hughes

ViewsFromTheMiddle

On 29/01/2024 at 23:17, uttoxram75 said:

I could watch him play all day. From the moment he made his debut (was it v Tranmere in the cup?), he immediately became my favourite player since the 70's heroes.

In his debut game he looked anything but a footballer, skinny, young kid that he was, but he calmly took down an awkward 40 yard pass and passed it on accurately without thinking about it. Easy. Very gifted player, intelligent and made others around him look good with the weight of his passes and vision.

You say he's never really hit the heights yet he's had a good career in the top flight of English football. How high do you have to go to be recognised as a top footballer?

If we go up i'd expect David Clowes to sell a few members of his family to finance Hughsey's return to see us back to the Prem.

But would he be suited to the Warne style of football?

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If the bald barsteward still owned us now, we’d spend all summer pursuing Hughes and pay him outrageously unaffordable wages to huge excitement from the fans, only for him to be a crock of poo signing.  

your long southern crusade is nearly over, come home sweet prince

Why on earth would Hughes come to Derby? He's 28 and playing regularly in the Premier League. If the best he can get if Palace don't renew is an offer from League 1/Championship he needs to sack his agent. Signing released Premier League is a bad idea in most instances. They demand high wages and don't usually justify them. Ideally teams should look to identify players on the way up in their career trajectory.

You'd have to think a middle-tier Prem club would take him for nothing - Fulham, Brentford, Brighton, even West Ham. Palace would be daft to let him go really, cos they are rubbish.

As an aside, that Daniel Jebbison mentioned on the list is a 20-year-old striker at Sheff Utd and happens to be from Derby. Well, born in Canada, moved to Derby as a boy. Someone page Paul Warne.

9 hours ago, MaltRam said:

It won't happen, at least not for Will's next contract, but he remains my favourite player this century.

He’s a good player, but what we’re asking is that he leaves his job in the City to go back to McDonalds where he enjoyed work as a younger man.

Sadly, I think his financial expectations are far beyond what we could offer him.

Cant believe he’s 29. Should have had a much better career - even if he is a regular premier league player, he should’ve been at bigger and better clubs (and maybe England).  FWIW for the sake of his career, I think we kept hold of him a bit too long - he probably needed to move before he did. Oh well. I’m sure he’s still earned enough not to have to worry. 

21 hours ago, LazloW said:

Cant believe he’s 29. Should have had a much better career - even if he is a regular premier league player, he should’ve been at bigger and better clubs (and maybe England).  FWIW for the sake of his career, I think we kept hold of him a bit too long - he probably needed to move before he did. Oh well. I’m sure he’s still earned enough not to have to worry. 

It was the ankle injury that stopped him reaching the heights we had hoped. Took a yard of pace off him. He never had electric pace but was mobile. 

45 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm also not sure if he quite had the ambition to make it to the very top. He seems pretty happy with his lot, which is fair enough.

Think it was Deeney who recently said Hughes wasn't that much of a fan of playing and intended to knock it on the head before now.  He was surprised he was still going.  Hard to leave behind over a million a year I suppose. 

15 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think it was Deeney who recently said Hughes wasn't that much of a fan of playing and intended to knock it on the head before now.  He was surprised he was still going.  Hard to leave behind over a million a year I suppose. 

Not sure it would be that difficult, once you have a couple in the bank?

We're all different though, I guess.  🍻