Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

"As we have said from the outset, the club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute."

Unless we can make some money from them, in which case they'll get a slap on the wrist. 

It’s a tricky one this. Think straight after everything had happened, without seeing the punishment to any of the others, I think you could have justified the sacking of any of the players involved. I certainly would’ve sacked bennett and Lawrence, and I think there’s a clear argument to be had for firing Keogh as well based on him getting recklessly injured and being unavailable to play because of it. So on the face of it, I think the club is justified here, in fact I think they’re being quite reasonable allowing him to get paid at all. 

But as I say, that’s on the face of it. Things become more complicated from a moral standpoint when you consider we allowed bennett and Lawrence to keep their jobs. As soon as you do that, you’ve pretty much committed yourself to the lenient route of dealing with the whole affair, so to then sack Keogh afterwards leaves a bad taste in my mouth anyway. Think from a legal viewpoint we’ll get away with it, because he’ll be being dismissed for a different charge of gross misconduct than bennett and Lawrence would’ve been, so I don’t think his appeal will be upheld if he’s relying on bringing up that the other two weren’t sacked. But from a moral viewpoint, I can’t back the club here at all. It just feels so wrong to let the others keep their jobs and Keogh lose his, given they were the ones convinced of criminal charges. Just stinks of a lack of morals and more focus on financials again to me, from a club lacking in integrity for a long time. This whole situation has been handled very poorly by the club imo.

However, in all fairness with that said, we did still offer him some money while he was injured to avoid this happening. Don’t think the threat of dismissal should’ve been there at all, but equally he’s not exactly deserving of pay when he can’t play through no fault other than his own. The fact we offered him any pay at all was fairly reasonable once we reached this point, so for him to not take the pay cut is imo a poor show by Keogh to a club who have given a lot to him over the years, so from that perspective, good riddance I suppose. Desperately will need replacing on the pitch mind ASAP, absolutely vital we get a proper top class replacement in, using whatever budget we have left in January.

32 minutes ago, Derbados said:

So my point still stands, do you want him leading and mentoring our young players?

I made no comment on that, only on the second half of your post.

To address your point, I've seen no suggestion from the club that he would be leading and mentoring the young players, and now it seems he won't.

It maybe would have been a lesson to the younger players seeing one of our all time appearance makers undergoing his rehab, isolated and apart from the squad through his own stupid fault, mind.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

this will be the big sticking point in any court case, legally speaking Keogh did nothing wrong and has been sacked, yet the 2 players criminally convicted continue to work for the club, presumably without a paycut, unless I missed that announcement.

How long was left on Keogh's deal anyway?

Legally speaking he broke the law by not wearing a seat belt. 

He was almost certainly in breach of contract by acting recklessly in getting into the car of an intoxicated driver.

I suspect that the club could easily find grounds to sack Lawrence and Bennett, but they at least have value as players. Keogh is unlikely to ever be good enough to play at Championship level again, so getting rid of him makes financial sense, even if it is a bit morally questionable. 

17 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

One down, two to go. Good riddance.

Only way to deal this poo, hopefully Bennett and Lawrence are gone in January.

After this, i can't see how they can stay, morale within the team would likely suffer

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Can you explain why he isn’t a real leader?

Sure ,whilst I do like Keogh up  to a point .he loses his head too easily, he is quick to point the finger at other players and he can't turn or influence a game .Apart from that he's ok.

Edited by King Kevin
sorry you meant Curtis not Keogh

4 minutes ago, caymanram said:

The lack of consistency with the relatively  light punishments levied on Lawrence and Bennett worries me. If Keogh is sacked then they all should be. Then again that’s where the commercial side comes into consideration... maybe they were happy to let Keogh go but the 7.5 m spent on Lawrence is another thing....

If Lawrence or Bennett had major injuries from the accident they would be out the door to.

Just now, CornwallRam said:

He was almost certainly in breach of contract by acting recklessly in getting into the car of an intoxicated driver.

I suspect that the club could easily find grounds to sack Lawrence and Bennett, but they at least have value as players. Keogh is unlikely to ever be good enough to play at Championship level again, so getting rid of him makes financial sense, even if it is a bit morally questionable. 

yes but making financial sense isn't legal grounds for sacking, you told him to take a pay cut or he's fired, either what he did deserved the sack or it didn't.

It would have been much simpler to have released him, paying off his contract, then he has no come back

4 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Good, as Captain he should have taken Lawrence and Bennett's keys off them, sad way to end what could have been a Rams legend

You're joking aren't you. Taking the keys off a drunk. He's likely to have got a punch in the mouth - and he couldn't risk his good looks?

Embarrassing. Morals completely out the window for a bit of cash. If Keogh could still play he'd be in the starting 11 and we'd have offered 'support' to him just like the other two. Should have got rid of the lot or none at all. Really poor from the club. 

Edited by DcFc Dyycheee

It’s simple really. Keogh would be in the starting 11 if he hadn’t sustained those injuries. He can’t play for over a year and in that time we don’t even know if he will play again. 

The other two aren’t injured and are still an asset to the club, why would you sack them if they can play and could be worth money in January or at the end of the season. 

I don’t quite get why people are feeling sorry for Keogh and getting peed off with the other two. 

Correct decision by Derby and the start of finishing this whole debacle. 

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

Not sure it is morally questionable,why should Derby pay him £25k a week for 10 months after being injured in this way? 

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Technically, he is (allegedly) guilty of not wearing a seat belt, which is of course illegal, though I'm not aware of any charges having been made... or pending?

Not seen any evidence/statements/rumours regarding the club fining Keogh for his part in this whole sorry mess.  Have I missed this?  Do you have more info?

Wasn't there something in the court case about 'the Alfie' statement too?

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Looking that way ! - there is also the reality that there is information we are not party to !

Literally just been sacked for gross misconduct. 

So let’s start again... how are his actions classed as gross misconduct but Lawrence’s aren’t? Please explain. I may be being ducking stupid here but this is proper head scratcher for me. 

Just now, Jimmy Skitz said:

yes but making financial sense isn't legal grounds for sacking, you told him to take a pay cut or he's fired, either what he did deserved the sack or it didn't.

It would have been much simpler to have released him, paying off his contract, then he has no come back

No, but breaking the law and breaching the terms of your contract is. The latter is clearly conjectural without sight of the contract, but I has seen it written into many non-footballing contracts.