Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Anyone know enough about employment/contract law to shed any light on if this is legal or not? If it's not then it could end up costing us more in legal fees and payouts than we have saved by punting him surely?

His only defense will be that Bennett/Lawrence didn't get an equal punishment. 

Reality is the minute you do something that will prevent you doing your job due to your own actions then gross misconduct is on the books. It'd be exactly the same for virtually any job out there. 

The club must have something else on him that they are not letting on. That's my suspicion anyway (only my opinion). 

Either way, a man who has been richly rewarded for the 'work' he has done chose to throw away a life that most people can only dream of by getting into a car with a drunk driver, resulting in him not being able to fulfill his side of the contract with the club (it seems often forgotten these days that footballer's contracts work both ways).

He has then (apparently) refused to take a cut in his already lucrative pay, which would have been the honorable thing to do and which would have happened to most of us in the real world.

So he's been sacked. I'm playing a tune on a very small violin.

7 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

What might this mean for the already fragile Lawrence ? Knowing that his actions have cost his team mate his career, he might struggle to come to terms with this.

Also, Keogh has bound to have some of the players on his side so will they spit their dummies out ?

What a mess

The problem is, none of us know how the evening panned out.

We're all assuming everyone got in the car(s) voluntarily.  We're all assuming everyone made "their own decisions".

If Lawrence "encouraged" Keogh to accept a lift home, then yes, maybe he is feeling even lower this evening.
If Keogh "encouraged" Lawrence to grab his keys, jump in the car, and give his captain (Think supervisor in a factory... the first in a line of superiors!) a lift home, despite Lawrence's (weak?) protestations, then maybe Lawrence is now thinking "Good riddance/Serves you right"!  Maybe it's Lawrence that feels badly let down by his immediate superior?

Pure speculation(s) on my part of course, but that's all we have. 
I suspect the club (now) have the facts.  I suspect they would have taken legal advise before threatening/carrying out a sacking.

I hasten to add, none of the above has any basis of fact, but I thought seeing as the whole thread is based on "What if's", I'd risk adding another possibility!

45 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm glad. 25k a week for someone who can't play until next year is ludicrous, if Keogh was offered a paycut and turned it down he is a bit ridiculous.

It's not though it would have been Hobson's choice. I have been in similar situations with staff where they have been advised that they can either quit and get paid their notice period and leave with a reference or face a disciplinary where they would infer that the likely outcome would be them getting dismissed without overtly stating that and leaving immediately with nothing. Roll the dice at your peril. With someone with less than 2 years service then the risk to the business is reduced even further 

12 minutes ago, Carnero said:

This is it in a nutshell.

Keogh is not fit and available to do his job due to his own recklessness. The other two are.

No employer would pay £25k per week (£2.2m total) to an employee who couldn't work due to their own out-of-hours stupidity.

I would understand if the club had used that reasoning in the statement. However, they chose to focus on the morality of his actions, not his ability to do his job.

They’re either being thick or disingenuous. My money is on the latter.

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

yes but making financial sense isn't legal grounds for sacking, you told him to take a pay cut or he's fired, either what he did deserved the sack or it didn't.

It would have been much simpler to have released him, paying off his contract, then he has no come back

Legally the club may feel he has no come back for not wearing a seat belt, that if factual, possibly rules out any insurance claims.

End result, maybe he broke his contractual terms by illegal actions that now prevent him from fulfilling his contract.

Just hypothesis but would seem a credible argument.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I would understand if the club had used that reasoning in the statement. However, they chose to focus on the morality of his actions, not his ability to do his job.

They’re either being thick or disingenuous. My money is on the latter.

I don't see a statement anywhere? 

Breaking news:

At a meeting earlier at pride park, Richard Keogh is reported to have turned up at a disciplinary meeting with Derby owner mel morris clutching a bottle of jack daniels and hopping round the office exclaiming 'im a pogo stick, im a pogo stick'. When asked to show more professionalism keogh is reported to have hopped round to the back of mr morris chair and commenced 20 minutes worth of singing 'the lion sleeps tonight' while playing mr morris head like a bongo.

Some or all of the above may not be true.

Derby's statement read: "Derby County Football Club has completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, September 24th.

"As a result of that process, Mr Keogh has had his contract terminated with immediate effect for gross misconduct. He has the right of appeal within 14 days.

"As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.

Bit of a contradiction bearing in mind Lawrence and Bennett... Even Huddlestone if he was posting stuff.

Be interesting how different it would feel if Keogh as senior club captain had been uninjured and the one driving and an impressionable much younger player had been the injured passenger and they had felt pressured to get a lift.

Sad for Keogh cos he gave his all....cant say I would do any different though, paying someone £1mill to sit on their backside would definitely stick in my throat.

Just now, SaintRam said:

Refusing to take a paycut smacks of not taking responsibility, to be honest.

You cannot force anyone to take a pay cut unless for example their job was earmarked as being redundant and the only other roles available were of a lesser pay grade as redeployment and even that can be refused and still be eligible for redundancy money. That doesn't apply to Keogh.

5 minutes ago, John_The_Waff said:

Because they can both still play, and are therefore assets. Mel isn't going to just throw £6m+ away. I fully expect both of them to be sold in January. 

When you make an ethical decision you shouldn't be bearing in mind the financial cost. It just looks like and is double standards for him to get the sack but for the other two not to. 

Archived