Match Thread: Cambridge United (a)

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

I sincerely hope Warne and the players are aware of this and remember Northampton, where the pitch was very bobbly for a well covered surface. We need to adopt better tactics than we did there.

In all fairness, despite not playing well. We should have won.

The chances that Adams and Waghorn missed were absolute sitters.

You could argue if they had fallen to Collins he would have scored both.

30 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

In all fairness, despite not playing well. We should have won.

The chances that Adams and Waghorn missed were absolute sitters.

You could argue if they had fallen to Collins he would have scored both.

I doubt that Collins would have been in the box in the first place...he's reverted back to being anywhere but where he needs to be!

Gayle on the other hand would have both been in the box at the right time and have had the ability to score both.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I doubt that Collins would have been in the box in the first place...he's reverted back to being anywhere but where he needs to be!

He was certainly in the right place for the cross that was touched away from him by an Orient defender last Saturday.

28 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Derby win and both Peterborough and Bolton drop points seals, right?

Derby, Peterborough and Bolton win we go into the last day 3 points ahead?

Is there a scenario where it gets confirmed midweek if Bolton drop points tomorrow, Peterborough win tomorrow and Derby win, but Peterborough drop points in their game in hand?

That's correct. Only slight caveat is in your second scenario is that Posh need to win their other game for it to go into last day like that.

The Bolton result was massive, we had no room for error before then.

Now, even worst case scenario and we lose and Bolton win. We still play the bottom of the table at home, needing to win and improve our goal difference. And a draw keeps it totally in our hands.

It's almost a free hit tomorrow,  which for our stress levels and their mentality is massive. No early goal or even a goal against us tomorrow isn't panic stations, as a draw is still 'fine'.

I just can't see us not winning at least one of those 2 games and that will be enough I think regardless. 

We can go out confident but not desperate, gradually put the squeeze on them (they would take a draw I'm sure), don't give them any chances and go for the win but with an eye on not conceding. 

Can't see us changing much. 

Back 3 worked, Sibley and Wilson give us an outlet. Also gives us the option of 3 in the middle. Can't see us throwing Bird straight in, Hourihane is being edged out. Adams and Smith have been great. Thompson gives us energy, why change it.  Collins starts...

NML hasn't been as good as he can be and ends up out of position,  but Collins and Washington looked dreadful the other week...so we go again and can change style with CBT coming on wide with NML, Barks can come anywhere along the line and Washington or Waghorn give us more goal threat if needed or a more obvious 2 up top.

Can't see any reason anything can go wrong.....

12 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

We do need to go for the 3 points and not be dependent on the results of “other” clubs.

1. We want to celebrate promotion at Pride Park

2. Three points  on Saturday would surely break the hearts of Bolton and Peterborough. 

Quite feasibly but they play each other on the last day and 3rd place will probably be at stake. I don't see either side resting players for the playoffs if that's the case.

The only squeaky bum time will come if we lose tomorrow even if its by 1 goal and Bolton win by 3+ goals. That would mean we're neck and neck going in to the final match and i believe their goals for is better so we'd need to beat their goal difference. If Posh muck up one of their matches this also means that going in to the final match their hopes are all but extinguished and could rest players. 

That nightmare scenario said, i'd expect us to score more on the last day against Carlisle than Bolton would away to a slightly weaker Posh team. My only caveat would be that Posh's defence is far from solid at the best of times so we couldn't call this a banker. 

Hopefully we won't put ourselves in this position and at the bare minimum we get a point tomorrow. 

41 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Back 3 worked, Sibley and Wilson give us an outlet

The pitch is or appears quite narrow and not sure we will have much space to go wide , might even suit a back 4 and an extra body in CM to ensure we are solid through the middle 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Derby win and both Peterborough and Bolton drop points seals, right?

Derby, Peterborough and Bolton win we go into the last day 3 points ahead?

Is there a scenario where it gets confirmed midweek if Bolton drop points tomorrow, Peterborough win tomorrow and Derby win, but Peterborough drop points in their game in hand?

If we better Bolton and Peterborough's results tomorrow, then its done.

A draw is enough in the unlikely scenario that they both lose.