Match Thread: Cambridge United (a)

7 minutes ago, S8TY said:

The pitch is or appears quite narrow and not sure we will have much space to go wide , might even suit a back 4 and an extra body in CM to ensure we are solid through the middle 

I take this back, according to stats Cambridge have a bigger pitch than us ?? so yes a back 3 with wide players making wing backs I'm guessing will be what we'll play , probably unchanged 

Will a win tomorrow prompt a pitch invasion at the end or are we saving that for the Carlisle game. The scenes at Portsmouth and Mansfield in midweek were brilliant and show what football means to fans. 

5 minutes ago, Top Lino said:

Will a win tomorrow prompt a pitch invasion at the end or are we saving that for the Carlisle game. The scenes at Portsmouth and Mansfield in midweek were brilliant and show what football means to fans. 

I certainly won't be going on the pitch after the Carlisle game and I hope others don't too - let's just stay in our places and not spoil anything for anyone.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/04/love-football-protect-the-game-fan-behaviour-2023-24

22 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I take this back, according to stats Cambridge have a bigger pitch than us ?? so yes a back 3 with wide players making wing backs I'm guessing will be what we'll play , probably unchanged 

TBH from videos of their games this season, it doesn't look much different to ours.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

The Bolton result was massive, we had no room for error before then.

Now, even worst case scenario and we lose and Bolton win. We still play the bottom of the table at home, needing to win and improve our goal difference. And a draw keeps it totally in our hands.

It's almost a free hit tomorrow,  which for our stress levels and their mentality is massive. No early goal or even a goal against us tomorrow isn't panic stations, as a draw is still 'fine'.

I just can't see us not winning at least one of those 2 games and that will be enough I think regardless. 

We can go out confident but not desperate, gradually put the squeeze on them (they would take a draw I'm sure), don't give them any chances and go for the win but with an eye on not conceding. 

Can't see us changing much. 

Back 3 worked, Sibley and Wilson give us an outlet. Also gives us the option of 3 in the middle. Can't see us throwing Bird straight in, Hourihane is being edged out. Adams and Smith have been great. Thompson gives us energy, why change it.  Collins starts...

NML hasn't been as good as he can be and ends up out of position,  but Collins and Washington looked dreadful the other week...so we go again and can change style with CBT coming on wide with NML, Barks can come anywhere along the line and Washington or Waghorn give us more goal threat if needed or a more obvious 2 up top.

Can't see any reason anything can go wrong.....

It did against Orient, but Bradley’s selection was more to do with aerial power from corners, an area of weakness in the opposition spotted by the coach.

Prior to that a back four was also effective. I think Tommo might start in a three man midfield with Barks supporting NML and Collins. That will put them under far more pressure.

Collins and NML on their own created very little. We won’t be lucky enough to score from multiple set pieces again. We need more creativity.

However, I moaned like hell about Bradley’s inclusion against Orient, so what do I know? 😊

15 minutes ago, Top Lino said:

Yeah? Even the Barnsley player getting hit by Pompey fans "for a laugh"? 

It'll be hilarious when we have to play games behind closed doors, won't it?

15 minutes ago, Top Lino said:

At the risk of coming across as a party pooper...

Away fans invading the pitch at Cambridge, particularly "in numbers", will almost certainly lead to sanctions against DCFC.  It will most likely lead to fisticuffs on the pitch between rival fans, and... this is my favourite bit... potentially lead to individuals and/or groups being left with a criminal record and/or some form of ban on attending future matches.

Home fans invading the pitch after the Carlisle game would likely follow the above, plus piss off those who, due to being a little more considerate and polite, choose to remain in the stands to applaud our heroes, and will likely... as has happened in the past... lead to the abandonment of any planned "Lap of Honour" by the players/staff, which of course, should happen for the enjoyment of us all.

There... I'm officially a party pooper... now stay off the fuckin' pitch, nob 'eads!  🍻 🐏

Bayer Leverkusen fans this week after winning the Bundesliga.

I sometimes think we've lost our spirit of football fun in this country.

I won't be on the pitch at Cambridge or Pride Park whatever the results, due to old age, but I will applaud those who want to celebrate.

As for injured footballers, they know the score and the tradition, run like hell for the tunnel!

1 hour ago, Top Lino said:

I hope a minority don't let us down and run onto the pitch either at Cambridge or the Carlisle match. The team will no doubt do the usual parade lap (Regardless of results as we have as a minimum made the play offs) If a pitch invasion happens then that will be cancelled.

Don't ruin it please!

And also can the parade lap go around the perimeter, and not stop at the penalty box please?

I loved the parade laps during our two promotions in the mid 80s as we climbed from Div 3 to Div 1. I guess that was one of the few advantages of the perimeter fencing at that time, as I'm sure there would have been pitch invasions.  It was my first taste of success as a Derby fan and I'm sure I would have sprinted onto the pitch from the Normanton End on the famous Friday night in May 1986.  It would have been quite a mud bath in the pouring rain. So I will remain in the SW Upper and hopefully rekindle the joy I felt nearly 40 years ago - anyway there are two many stairs to run down, however much I'm tempted.

2 hours ago, Top Lino said:

Firstly, a win tomorrow will not guarantee us promotion unless both Bolton and Posh drop points as well. So, celebrations on that level would be dangerously premature.

Secondly, such a pitch invasion would be a moronic thing to do and I sincerely hope no one is even remotely considering it.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Bayer Leverkusen fans this week after winning the Bundesliga.

I sometimes think we've lost our spirit of football fun in this country.

I won't be on the pitch at Cambridge or Pride Park whatever the results, due to old age, but I will applaud those who want to celebrate.

As for injured footballers, they know the score and the tradition, run like hell for the tunnel!

Cambridge have another home game to play the following Tuesday, which could be critical to their survival. I doubt that they'd be happy with a pitch invasion by our fans and the risk of damage to the pitch or anything else. I don't doubt that it would lead to anything less than an inquiry by the FA/EFL and God knows what punishment.

Everyone understands that fans want to enjoy the euphoria of the moment, but I wouldn't want to give them any excuse to stick the boot into us again.

13 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Cambridge have another home game to play the following Tuesday, which could be critical to their survival. I doubt that they'd be happy with a pitch invasion by our fans and the risk of damage to the pitch or anything else. I don't doubt that it would lead to anything less than an inquiry by the FA/EFL and God knows what punishment.

Everyone understands that fans want to enjoy the euphoria of the moment, but I wouldn't want to give them any excuse to stick the boot into us again.

I think that pitch invasions should only be done at home, and only after the last game of the season.

It's interesting Cambridge has another home match on Tuesday - I've just read they are doing their Player of the Season on the pitch after tomorrow's game.

So that's another reason for us keeping off the pitch, tbf. We wouldn't want our award being spoiled in this way.